GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, all.

I'm wondering if anyone has added the illuminated charge port (part number 84334825) to a 2019 Volt, not having it already installed. The "accessories" area at chevrolet.com for the 2019 doesn't list it but can be found going back to a 2018. Also, all GM Parts sites list it as 2016-2018 with it not being updated for 2019 yet. I know, it's not most practical thing to add to the car, but I have a 50% off parts/accessories (up to $200) coupon from the Coscto holiday promotion and $100 in GM Points I can use for the remainder burning a hole in my pocket, basically getting it for free. Problem is, I wouldn't want to have my dealer special order these and then end up not working out on the '19 for some reason.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
22,848 Posts
Call the dealer and see it you decided to get that option added, if it's still supported. My guess is what works for 2018 will work for 2019.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Before you get into the purchase, here (link below) are the instructions published in early 2018. WARNING - These will likely NOT work for the 2019. One would need an updated set. The parts may be the same, but it looks like GM has been changing the electrical connector pins. These instructions have 3 different methods for cars made from 16-18 and they aren't aligned to model year.

The kit requires lifting the car and doing some connector reconstruction and special electrical connector tools. (It's not plug-and-play.) If you need assistance from the dealer, the installation cost may run you more than the part.

View attachment Charge Port.pdf

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it was the pinout connections under the hood that I was worried about.

I did speak with the service area at the dealer and they were concerned to order up the part because it was listing only 2016-2018 and were not able to find more information.

Maybe there will eventually be some new part out there that is compatible to add to the 2019 as it is an option at order time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed 84334825 in my 2018 which was built in August 2018. I had no issues with the connectors or with anything else. for the connectors, I followed the directions in the chart starting with step 31 in (https://ecom-dam.ext.gm.com/parts/documents/ISheets_23413653.pdf). It went rather well until it was time to remove the plug from cavity 11, where I spent a good 20 minutes with the thing.
I too used the $100.00 from the GM rewards points, which brought the price down from $200 to $100. I printed out the rewards as parts coupons, not accessories.

Here are some keypoints that I'm sure many people on this forum have already made but could be worth repeating:
- read the directions from A to Z
- disconnect the negative battery post
- use a plastic painter's spatula to remove the housing at its most thicker part
- don't bother removing the wheel well....I did not have to....you can use a coat hanger to make a hook to fish the harness
- read the MOLEX directions (they're somewhere in this forum) to know how to disconnect it.....it will take quite a few tries but it will eventually disconnect
- don't try to remove plug 11 before disengaging the TPA first....that was my mistake

·
Registered
662 Posts
I did speak with the service area at the dealer and they were concerned to order up the part because it was listing only 2016-2018 and were not able to find more information.
I would never call these people morons, but they certainly act in a moronic way. (Or they don't want your business and they want you to go away, which would be surprising because they make a ton of money on these installs.)

The parts catalog they are looking at won't be updated so soon for your car. (I'm still waiting for my 2018 to show up properly in some cross references.)

If they go to GM's Service Information portal, there should be a catalog of instructions for all the car's accessories. (This is where mine came from.) Here is the site that you and I can get to: (I don't have a subscription at the moment.) https://www.acdelco.com/for-professionals/gm-service-information.html

You can explore this site for three days for a small fee or you can bang on your service department's desk and have them look for the installation instructions. The part number will be listed in the instructions, just like the one I posted. (You could even take the instructions I posted and show them that they just have to download the most current version for the 2019.)

The instructions exist. The procedure is being used at the factory right now.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Good to know. I have the kit being shipped today. I don't know why it was said that the kit would likely not work on the 2019

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Maybe because the 2019 Volt Premier and LT (optionally) when equipped with the 7.2kW on-board charger may use a different charge port than the earlier Gen 2 Volt. It will be interesting to learn if the kit fits your 2019.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed kit 84334825 on 2019, working great! Used wiring pin instructions at step 31.
Awesome, thanks. I'm still working with the service guys and they are trying to get confirmation on their side as well. I too was wondering if the new 7.2kw made a difference in sizing or something but it's great to hear that someone has verified it works.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I too was wondering if the new 7.2kw made a difference in sizing or something but it's great to hear that someone has verified it works.
The connector is modeled after the J1722 specification. If GM fully built to that specification, it should handle much more than the 7.2kw. The internet tells me that it can go all the way up to 19.20 kW, but you can check the SAE J1722 specification if you want all the gory details.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got my kit today. The bezel replaces the original one that surrounds the charge port and has nothing to do with the actual port. It's been reported that the kit works on the '19 and I'm looking forward to installing it when the weather warms a bit

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe because the 2019 Volt Premier and LT (optionally) when equipped with the 7.2kW on-board charger may use a different charge port than the earlier Gen 2 Volt. It will be interesting to learn if the kit fits your 2019.
BCA and others said that the kit works on the 2019

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again all who replied to verify. I have the first one installed now. Took a bit over an hour only because I struggled disconnecting the harness for dang near 20 minutes and then another 20 trying to figure out how to get the white plug out. When I do the 2nd car tonight I'm hoping it'll only take 20-30 min now that I know all the tricks to getting these things disconnected (big screwdriver to pry open the harness and smaller screwdriver to slide out the white "lock" inside the harness to get at the plug)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oldish thread I know, just got a low-mileage 2019 Premier and wanted to add another data point that Illuminated Charge Port (GM Part 84334825) worked when I installed it today. Use empty harness spots 8 and 11. Also, when pulling on the white plug, it broke on mine, leaving me to have to remove the black plastic rear part of the harness to get access to more of it to pull with needle nose pliers...it was a total pain!

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,848 Posts
Thanks, looks nice!

Having an led built in to the charge handle is still my preference, but this works too.

·
Administrator
22,848 Posts
Is that something some EVSE L1 chargers come with?
The original Voltec EVSE's have the LED light in the schnozzle. Why others don't baffles me. It's very handy in the dark.

Reactions: Spinattitude
1 - 20 of 25 Posts