GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wanted to add two extra led bulbs to the existing rear hatch interior light. I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the plastic part so i can just wire two positive and to negative to the existing led to make this trunk brighter. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
FYI, in gen1, the trunk light is in the side panel in the hatch area. It does get blocked by luggage sometimes. I like gen2's overhead version, but I think the best of both worlds might be a combo of the two. You could probably easily buy parts for gen1 and add a side light or two... easier to find power there, rather than in the hatch door like you want. I replaced my OEM bulb with an LED and it made a huge difference. I was originally thinking about adding a second light on the other side of the hatch, but am satisfied with the single brighter LED (I actually had to put a paper filter around it so it wasn't too bright).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Instead of adding new bulbs, just replace the factory bulb with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCGFNB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a direct drop in replacement and is probably 30x brighter than the factory incandescent bulb. It is also the same color temperature as the rest of the LED bulbs in the interior.

I dunno why the hell GM does the entire interior with LED, but then put a crappy, dim, incandescent bulb in the cargo hatch.

Changing it out is easy, just pop the existing light out using a flat head screwdriver. Pull the old bulb out, put the new LED bulb in, and pop the light back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts