GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen a few threads pop up with this question and most have ended in a "Buy a new Volt, it's not possible" fashion. That is not acceptable to me. I am taking possesion of a 2012 Volt this weekend and it does not have MyLink installed. Besides allowing the Pandora/Internet radio interface, it appears this "module" will also be necessary for future app installations (can somebody confirm/deny this?). As a developer this is important to me, and I absolutely know can be done; it's just a question on if it really would be prohibitively expensive or not.

So heres what I've gathered...

The MyLink was a 100 dollar option and it is not simply a software update! Look through the parts magazine it just so happens that there is "radio w/o bluetooth" and "radio w/ bluetooth" and just about 100 dollars difference between the two. This is the most obvious hardware change that will be necessary. See here. I'm guessing the 2 models are BOSE vs NON-BOSE.

I really need the vehicles wiring diagram to tell for sure. This would also help me determine if this is a simple swap or if OnStar/other components will also need to be swapped. OR if somebody with MyLink could take a picture of the connectors behind their dash so I could compare that would work as well. If people really want a solution to be found I'm going to need help from other people not afraid to pull apart their dash, but I have a feeling people who already have the module are going to be anxious to tear everything apart for no reason :cool:

Also, the sub/enclosure is pretty cheap. Is it really that bad?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
First question...I assume you do NOT have navigation/Bose - correct? I only point that out because MyLink was never offered with that combo in 2012.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The MyLink was a 100 dollar option and it is not simply a software update! Look through the parts magazine it just so happens that there is "radio w/o bluetooth" and "radio w/ bluetooth" and just about 100 dollars difference between the two. This is the most obvious hardware change that will be necessary. See here. I'm guessing the 2 models are BOSE vs NON-BOSE.
I have a 2012 with Bose & mylink (no nav). So if you are gusessing that "radio with bluetooth" = "No bose", you are mistaken.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The MyLink option was a late addition to the 2012 model. It was also only available on non-Nav Volts. Does your car have Nav?

The two radio options listed may not have it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There was some info in a previous thread that the bluetooth was moved out or upgraded in the phone/Onstar module to support the bluetooth in the radio. It was suggested that they would both need to be updated at once, plus any new wiring to support.

·
Registered
906 Posts
the other nemesis you have to overcome (as I may have mentioned in another thread) is if you do replace the 2012 center stack controller with a 2013 style mylink with nav.. you have to get this to operate on the CAN.. unless GM has changed things this WILL require a trip to the dealer.. if you get lucky and the revision of main "PCM" (for lack of better words) hardware is sikilar and can take a firmware load that supported MyLink then you Might be able to get it online..

there are a lot of 'IF's here.. im not going to say it cant be done.. im just saying there's a lot of unknowns.. I went through the same thing with my 2012 Honda Civic.. (which failure of that upgrade project ultimately led me to me Volt purchase)..

in fact in the Civic the Hardware for the upgraded Audio / Nav system was the same.. yet when we tried to force the firmware upgrade through it failed due to the CRC / checksums being based on the VIN number of the vehicle.. denoting it was a 2012 and not a 2013.. JTAGing the "nav radio" in that car resulted in being able to completely wipe the firmware clean and toss it into a "bootload" state.. even then.. the 2013 firmware tried to Load but when turning the car on the Nav display and upper iMid display gave errors and the unit failed to work until a 2012 load was placed back on it..

being that the volt is 10 times as advanced as a 2012 Honda Civic i believe you may run into similar issues.. esp if GM uses the center stack as a backup entry point for odometer information..
-Christopher

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2012 with Bose & mylink (no nav). So if you are gusessing that "radio with bluetooth" = "No bose", you are mistaken.
I have no nav and no bose. There are two "radio with bluetooth" models, I'm assuming 1 is bose 1 is non-bose.

if you do replace the 2012 center stack controller with a 2013 style mylink with nav..
Is there a visual difference in a 2012 stack non mylink and a 2012 mylink? I am defintely not trying to trying to convert to 2013, just want to add this functionality that some 2012s got.

There was some info in a previous thread that the bluetooth was moved out or upgraded in the phone/Onstar module to support the bluetooth in the radio. It was suggested that they would both need to be updated at once, plus any new wiring to support.
This is what I think is going to be the decided factor in if this can really be done. Considering the radio prices I think it is safe to assume the BT module was moved from OnStar to the radio itself. I'm going to see if I can find the OnStar module and associated wire harness parts and see how many different parts there are in this MY.

I appreciate everyones input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my car this weekend; love it. I am extremely disappointed theres no AD2P though as I thought even the none MyLink radio could at least do that. Now I'm even more motivated to invest some time into this.

I did a quick check to see if a sub could easily be added but I do not see the sub wiring present where the subwoofer would have been in a Bose car. I will start looking at disassembling the dash in the next week or so and will update what I find here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I finally got around to starting on this and have some good news I guess.

First, it is incredibly easy to access and remove the radio. I used a credit card and a 7mm socket + extension. It takes 10 or so minutes to pull apart, and took slightly longer to put back together and re align the trim.

Second, 22868869 is simply the newer version of 22868860 (which is what I have in my car). There just so happens to be a 22868869 on eBay and I can see that the connectors are identical. I'm not sure what the changes would be, but most sites are listing 69 as a replacement for 60 so I would say Bose is irrelevant and the other two units (22754439 and 22754440) follow the same pattern. Navigation isn't even showing in this manual, there is a unit (22857154) on eBay right now and that part number shows up for like 3k and it "doesn't necessarily fit" the Volt according to the catalog.

The navigation brings me to my third discovery...what appears to be a system bus of some kind for the entire control panel sitting just behind the radio. There are sockets for 4 plugs, all similar if not the same but color coded sockets and plugs. Behold, my non-navigation Volt is missing a plug for one socket, which looks suspiciously like the 1 of the extra sockets on the back of the navigation unit on eBay that my radio doesn't have (the other is almost certainly the navi antenna).

My guess is that simply changing the radio out is going to work, but I won't be able to tell for sure until some very nice forum member checks out the back of their My Volt unit or one of the units pops up on eBay. I would also guess that adding Navigation is simply a matter of getting the unit, the plug to go between the unit and bus, and the antenna. I'm betting Bose wiring is somewhere further down the line or just an extra couple of wires on the main connector for the radio.

The connector on the back of the radio for the main stuff looks pretty standard, though I haven't seen a GM one before so I'll have to double check. I'm going to see if I can find an adapter and pinout to see if I can properly add a subwoofer (use the radio power to switch it on/off). If anyone wants pictures of what I found I do have some, but I'm not going to bother uploading them if I'm the only one interested in completing this upgrade.

Edit: Here is the pinout of the main connector. The amp signal should control the woofer.

Edit: There could be some sort of programming required with swapping radios. That will be a problem.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Buy a "Blackberry Bluetooth adapter" (find on eBay). Plug it into the USB and aux in in the armrest. Pair with your phone. You now have Bluetooth audio to the Aux input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buy a "Blackberry Bluetooth adapter" (find on eBay). Plug it into the USB and aux in in the armrest. Pair with your phone. You now have Bluetooth audio to the Aux input.
I didn't see exactly what you're talking about on eBay, but I am familiar with AD2P gateways. The problem is I want my steering wheel controls to work and I want something else displayed other than "aux input" on the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a preproduction 2012 volt without mylink. 2 weeks ago my Bluetooth stopped working for my phone connection. The phone setting disappeared from the config page too. So I brought it to the dealer to get it looked at. Picked it up and they told me they had to change the radio. Started driving away realized the display was a little different. To my surprise I now have Mylink. I can stream music from my phone now.
So all this to say that I guess you can just change out the radio and get my link.....

Happy me :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Wow. This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a preproduction 2012 volt without mylink. 2 weeks ago my Bluetooth stopped working for my phone connection. The phone setting disappeared from the config page too. So I brought it to the dealer to get it looked at. Picked it up and they told me they had to change the radio. Started driving away realized the display was a little different. To my surprise I now have Mylink. I can stream music from my phone now.
So all this to say that I guess you can just change out the radio and get my link.....

Happy me :)
Trade cars? :) I've got a navigation enabled unit on the way and will be swapping the radio and the center stack out. Grand total should be around 500 dollars for factory nav. It isn't my link, but at least I will have navi and AD2P.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone attempted to do this on their own yet? Howiee, what are the chances you could tell us what the new part number is on your radio? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FYI: That link is to the Non-NAV Non-Mylink 2012 radio, or RPO Code (UFU w/o UP9).

You will not find the MyLink Radio listed under the 2012 parts section, 2013 parts section only. It MAY require changing to whatever On-Star Module the 2013's have if it is actually different unit, but other than that I'm certain the head unit itself anyway, is just plug compatible.

Here is a list of the misc radio RPO codes I put together.

RPO UFU – UP9 (Minus UP9)
- Base Color Radio (Different On-Star/VCIM Module w/bluetooth?) - (No MyLink/IntelliLink)

RPO UFU + UP9
- Connected Color Radio, includes Bluetooth connectivity (MyLink/IntelliLink)

RPO UHQ + UP9
- Connected Navigation Radio, includes Bluetooth connectivity (MyLink/IntelliLink)

RPO UF7(available on Spark and Sonic models)
- BYOM Connected Color Radio, includes Bluetooth connectivity (MyLink)

·
Registered
20 Posts
MyLink with iPhone Why?

I was originally bummed that I couldn't upgrade to MyLink on my 2012 Volt. I bought the BlackBerry Bluetooth adapter and used it for a while. However, I switched to using USB to connect to stream audio and now realize the following benefits:
* Most if not all iPhone audio apps (e.g. Spotify, Pandora, MLB, TuneIn) leverage the iPod interface to display "now playing" info on the Volt's center console LCD
* Music apps also support changing tracks using the steering wheel controls
* The phone charges while streaming.

I'm not sure what additional features MyLink would offer. Possibly these features don't work with other smart phones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did anything ever come of this? I just got a 2012 that has nav and Bose, but no MyLink. This means it has no bluetooth A2DP streaming. Further, I have an iPhone 6 Plus, and the pathetic 500mA USB port won't charge it, so I can't just hook the phone up to USB and let it look like an iPod. :-(

I would like a solution that allows me to 1) charge my phone via the cigarette lighter adapter (12 watts, or 2.1A - go fast!) or the USB port (hopefully 2A or more), and 2) listen to music either via the USB port (less attractive because of pops and snaps and such) or A2DP streaming (more attractive).

So far I have heard of a couple of solutions: 1) swap out the DCIM for one from the 2012 Camaro, or 2) possibly swap out the radio as mentioned above. I do not consider the bluetooth gateway plugged into the AUX jack to be a viable solution, unless somebody has an easy way to get it to use the steering wheel controls and integration with the existing infotainment system.

Does anybody have any direct experience? Ideas? Suggestions? Comments? Please? Pretty please? :)

I love the Volt so far, but I despise the lack of a good solution for my iPhone. And don't even get me started on where to mount the phone -- that's another discussion entirely! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just need to clarify here, the nav and bose systems were married was my understanding, if you have bose without nav Ive never seen it before.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts