GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good operating key fob with a good functioning key for my 2015 Volt. I want a second key. Does the laser cut key have to match? Or can I use another fob with key and program it by using my functioning key? I can buy a blank key and fob and have it cut. But I see in various places that the cutting part may not be necessary. True? False? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have a good operating key fob with a good functioning key for my 2015 Volt. I want a second key. Does the laser cut key have to match? Or can I use another fob with key and program it by using my functioning key? I can buy a blank key and fob and have it cut. But I see in various places that the cutting part may not be necessary. True? False? Thanks for any help.
You will need a new metal key cut if you ever need it to manually unlock the door. According to my Gen 2 manual, you need 2 good operating fobs in order to add another one. I'm not sure if this also applies to your Gen 1 Volt. Dealer visit is needed if you only have 1 working fob.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
For the Gen 1 I know you only need 1 working cut key to start the programming process. If you can do so, swap the working cut key with the non-programmed fob since the process requires at least one working and programmed fob inside the car while the outer door lock is turned 10 times to begin the process. If you don't have at least one working fob present, it will initiate a very long 30 minute process that wipes out all programmed fobs. When you get to the actual programming process, you just need a key present on the fob. The key pattern doesn't matter, so it can be a blank, cut for your car, or cut for another car. I purchased a fob that was already cut to another car and was able to program without issue. You can get replacement blanks from amazon, ebay, etc. which are easily replaced as they're held in with a small roll pin that can be seen when the key is extended to about a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sellers on eBay selling used key fobs state that "This is a Genuine Factory OEM Chevrolet 5 Button keyless entry remote, aka "key fob". This key fob is LOCKED and requires an additional flash service before it can be programmed."

You said that you bought a used one and was able to program it to your car. Do you know if it was already "unlocked" or are the sellers on ebay misinforming?

·
Registered
417 Posts
You do NOT need a cut key, just a working fob. Steer clear of the "locked" used ones as it takes dealer intervention to work. If you have a working for, you can program others yourself. I have 3 fobs that are not cute that I programmed.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The fob I purchased was in fact on Ebay and listed as "used/working". The seller did offer a $20 "unlock" service with their fob in addition to the purchase price which I DID NOT notice prior to purchase so I only purchased the key which after shipping was less than $10. I never contacted the seller to arrange for said unlocking service and when I got the key I figured it was only $10 if I messed up and the key wasn't programmable to my car. Much to me delight it programmed immediately and without issue after going through the longer 30 minute process. Now it IS possible I got lucky and they shipped me a key that was already electronically blanked out so I can't say for certain since there isn't a way to visually tell but I do know that the key blade was already cut to another car and to this day I have not ordered a blank to be cut for my own car, and have only removed the key blade from the fob.

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
he key blade was already cut to another car and to this day I have not ordered a blank to be cut for my own car, and have only removed the key blade from the fob.
The key is a backup for opening the door or even starting the car when there is an issue (usually run-down fob battery or faulty signal receiver). Why not take the money you saved and get a key cut? Granted, I've never needed to use "plan B" with my FOB, but it seems cheap insurance. And other HAVE had to resort to using the key.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes, the cute key will open the door, but you DO NOT need a cut key to start the car....only the fob.

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Yes, the cute key will open the door, but you DO NOT need a cut key to start the car....only the fob.
Unless there is a problem with the FOB, then the cut key CAN be used to start the car.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Unless there is a problem with the FOB, then the cut key CAN be used to start the car.
Nope. That's not a cylinder lock the manual talks about. That's just place REALLY CLOSE TO THE ANTENNA that can induce a reaction even with a dead battery.

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Nope. That's not a cylinder lock the manual talks about. That's just place REALLY CLOSE TO THE ANTENNA that can induce a reaction even with a dead battery.
Yes, use the cut key as a metal extender to get a signal close to the antenna.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes, I agree I do need to order a blank so I have a cut key for the door lock, but the existing non-working key "stick" works fine as a backup to start using the cubby. I know I'll be placing an amazon order soon for a VCX Nano (just to have on hand) and will probably throw a key blank into my order as well and have it cut so I do have a mechanical key backup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I must have lucked out. I ordered a used fob from an eBay seller saying the fob was locked and needed flash service. I ordered anyway based on an opinion above. I just received and programmed to my Volt. It works fine. It came with a blank key so I'm not sure if it was a used fob or new. Either way, I'm happy.

The seller is 'keylessentryremote' for those wondering. I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of others who buy from the same seller.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The seller is 'keylessentryremote' for those wondering. I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of others who buy from the same seller.
That's the same vendor I purchased mine from as well (Dec, 2016). The key was cut to another car, but the fob programmed without issue. If I recall, in the sale listing they did offer a flash service for an additional $20 or so, which I did NOT purchase as I didn't notice it until after I purchased and paid. I just assumed they sent out one that was flashed, or such service was not needed. According to my ebay history it was $9.77 which I figured at the time if it doesn't work I'm not out much money but was pleasantly surprised that the fob worked perfectly after programming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is possible to add a key fob to Ampera?
The procedure published somewhere in this forum is not working for me.
Nothong happens when 5 x unlock the driver door...

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
not sure if this is true but you may need 2 FOB to program a third FOB for cars outside the USA ?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
618 Posts
You can add/delete fobs with a good scanner, no matter how many fobs you now have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts