GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought it was weird that my 2018 Volt didn't have homelink while my 2000 Grand Cherokee and 13 Mustang GT/CS did but no big deal. What did annoy me was not having an autodimming rearview. Even my 94 Mustang has one. So I found a homelink/Autodimming mirror on ebay with that harness for 40 bucks shipped. Problem solved now. Installed it and wired it in about 20 minutes. Tapped into the wiring for the overhead console so it was super easy. Now it feels like its supposed to, Modern...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could you provide the wiring schematic. My 2018 Volt Premier has 4 wires that plug into a harness on the mirror. Not sure which are which to wire the Homelink mirror. I have the schematic for the Homelink harness.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Auto dimming isn't that big a deal as you do it once at night if you even drive at night (I deo once a month) and it's handy (as in at hand). Opening and closing garage doors is something you do every time you use the car and you have to dig out the remote (if you can figure out where you last put it). It's nice on a Gen 1 to have always in the same place and handy and it's not exposed so people aren't tempted to steal it plus I can open both doors so in my case I can open one for ease to get out (passenger) and the other (which is wider) for easier access to inner garage door. Best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Auto dimming isn't that big a deal as you do it once at night if you even drive at night (I deo once a month) and it's handy (as in at hand). Opening and closing garage doors is something you do every time you use the car and you have to dig out the remote (if you can figure out where you last put it). It's nice on a Gen 1 to have always in the same place and handy and it's not exposed so people aren't tempted to steal it plus I can open both doors so in my case I can open one for ease to get out (passenger) and the other (which is wider) for easier access to inner garage door. Best thing since sliced bread.
50% of my driving is at night as I leave for work at 4:30am and when you have jerks with their high beams on or big trucks with their lights right in your mirror autodimming is quite amazing. Pushing that stupid tab down sucks as it bothers my OCD seeing it at the weird angle down and bothers me that I see both the seat and headlights at the same time from the mirror and have to constantly adjust it back and forth.

I dont understand what you are talking about with the garage opener? Are you trying to say homelink is good or bad? I personally love it because I have to open and close the garage every day and not having to deal with a clip on remote, which digs into my headliner when the sun visor is up, is a good thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2017 has an auto-dimming mirror...
Premier I assume? My 18 LT does not.

And for anyone wondering. Not having an existing auto dim mirror is not an issue. Switched power, constant power and ground are all easily available from the overhead console.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So OP, do you have the wiring schematic? (A howto writeup would be great.)
Also, do you have a link to the particular model of mirror you purchased?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts