·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh...the car is $40K. Enough said.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
How much would adding HL to the new Volt actually cost GM? I'm guessing about $25. I'm pretty sure they could have bundled that in with the Preimum package and price it accordingly. Folks would buy it and be happy.

That's the kind of short sighted thinking I associate with the OLD GM.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
How much would adding HL to the new Volt actually cost GM? I'm guessing about $25. I'm pretty sure they could have bundled that in with the Preimum package and price it accordingly. Folks would buy it and be happy.

That's the kind of short sighted thinking I associate with the OLD GM.
It really is. I agree 100%. If there were ever a car that should have a garage door opener, IT IS THE VOLT. Specifically designed to be charged and for MOST people that charging is going to be done inside a garage.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Ray, as long as people only grumble, but continue to order the car, GM asks behind closed doors what is their motivation to add it? I have stated that I won't buy another until it's back. Yes, it's that important to me -- others may not care. My belief is that this is the same hardball they played with the guidelines for the rearview camera -- rather than pay the asking price for a license, they threaten to just drop the item on the next model(s). In the case of the guidelines, they came back after a couple years; I'd love to know who folded, but I know how tough Detroit has been on vendors in the past. They used to just arbitrarily declare, "We need an x% reduction in your price effective yy/yyyy, or we will go elsewhere."

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have a feeling that Homelink is ridiculously overpriced given it is a simple wireless transmitter. I imagine it actually costs GM money to include it, as they really have no other reason to pull it out. I wonder if Homelink (Gentex) holds patents blocking competing products, as you think there would be cheaper better alternatives by now.

If you really want Homelink you can go aftermarket. In my Gen 1 I went back to the clip remote at the new house since it works better and I have been too lazy to reprogram it.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If you really want Homelink you can go aftermarket. In my Gen 1 I went back to the clip remote at the new house since it works better and I have been too lazy to reprogram it.
And, conversely, where I live my 2012 simply cannot be programmed to work with the commercial LiftMaster opener. Not a supported unit on this model, and that's done then. At least with an aftermarket there'd be a reasonable means to fix that, but built in? Nope. Custom work, if at all. I'll cope with the remote clipped to the visor.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Perhaps to move to WiFi enabled door openers that are opened with you smart phone they thought it was time to remove it from some of their cars. Although I too think that it was a bit premature eventually the WiFi connect door openers with take over.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Perhaps to move to WiFi enabled door openers that are opened with you smart phone they thought it was time to remove it from some of their cars. Although I too think that it was a bit premature eventually the WiFi connect door openers with take over.
I do not want to use my phone to open my garage door opener, yuck

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
And, conversely, where I live my 2012 simply cannot be programmed to work with the commercial LiftMaster opener. Not a supported unit on this model, and that's done then. At least with an aftermarket there'd be a reasonable means to fix that, but built in? Nope. Custom work, if at all. I'll cope with the remote clipped to the visor.
Agreed, my volt go has homelink and I use it, but if it didn't I'd use the visor clip button. I don't get why people ware getting all bothered about this. My volt doesn't have powered seats either. I'm coping with it. My volt doesn't have 200 miles of electric range. I'm living with it. It doesn't have room for 5 plus their luggage... I'm not buying another one and will hold out for something bigger. I'll continue to give GM hints...subyukonade!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
LIFE HAS BECOME MORE COMPLEX !!

:)

Thanks for generally being a Good Add-Visor,,,

These days my "Visor" won't hold the required openers for 2 Gates and 1 Garage Door, that I need to enter and leave my property.
I am grateful to be driving a Gen1 Volt with 3 Homelink buttons which I use daily,,,as well as having California HOV stickers.

Not until GM "Upgrades" the Gen2 Volt with a new 3 button Homelink and CA "Upgrades" their HOV quota, will I buy the New BUT,,
Not Totally Improved Gen2 Volt !!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
:)

Thanks for generally being a Good Add-Visor,,,

These days my "Visor" won't hold the required openers for 2 Gates and 1 Garage Door, that I need to enter and leave my property.
I am grateful to be driving a Gen1 Volt with 3 Homelink buttons which I use daily,,,as well as having California HOV stickers.

Not until GM "Upgrades" the Gen2 Volt with a new 3 button Homelink and CA "Upgrades" their HOV quota, will I buy the New BUT,,
Not Totally Improved Gen2 Volt !!
Really, you would not buy a car because it does not have HomeLink. My motorcycle does not have HomeLink. But I have a key chain FOB that has it with 3 buttons. So you could upgrade with an aftermarket mirror that has it or buy a keychain FOB. Certainly not a reason to not buy a car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is Always a "Work Arround"!! However that keyfob on your motorcycle key chain, is hard to duplicate in practice on a keyless Volt,,,,,e.g. Officer I was reaching around in my pocket to find my Homelink 3 button key fob when I lost control of my car. Or, now that I have replaced my rear view mirror with one from a Chevy Cruse, my car only operates in ICE condition !
See, things aren't always so perfect with a "Work Around"!!!

In this case GM will correct it and I can wait !!

But,,,,,,Shame on them for doing something So Stupid !!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I really keep fluctuating on this. I do think that it would have been nice to see a reason for excluding it. Maybe HomeLink has changed their licenses, and it costs $400-$500 or something (I know buying it from their site on the rear-view mirror is about $400). But I also think that a car at $40,000 should include it, this isn't a Cruze. At the same time, it seems a lot of new garage door openers are going with Chamberlain and using mobile, so I see that fewer people interested in up and coming technologies may need HomeLink.

In the end I did add a Chamberlain remote control to our existing garage doors (since we wanted to be able to close them from work if our middle-schooler forgot). But I also bought a used rear view mirror with HomeLink that I plan to install once I get the 2017 volt I have on order. It's just too simple to press and hold a button without fumbling through apps. And honestly, I hate the idea of such a great looking car having a clicker clipped.

I do suppose an easier solution than HomeLink is to just get a replacement clicker that can use 3M tape to stick to the garage door area on the rear view mirror. But I got the rear view mirror for $45, which sure isn't bad.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It's just too simple to press and hold a button without fumbling through apps.
I don't have a wifi garage door opener, however I was under the impression that your phone could use voice activation to open and close the garage possibly through Google voice or S voice or Siri. Someone that has it may be able to confirm. But if it is not able to do voice activation now it wont be long.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Voice activation doesn't work reliably !!

Another problem with your, "Work Around" solutions.

I've tried it,,,roll down the window as I approach the house and Holler, "Honey I'm Home!"
Sometimes she'll open the gate and the garage door,,,,sometimes NOT !!!

I'll wait for GM to fix this problem.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
GM no longer offers "homelink", with it's models it does offer a garage door opener on it's called a "universal home remote"...For Chevy it's generally reserved for higher trims...

Can't rely on your phone, it's just unsafe and in many states simply holding the phone in your hand can get you a citation...Some people keep their phones in their pocket or in their purse, unsafe to fumble around to try and find it...Additionally, how reliable is wifi? I have Frontier (formerly Fios in Cali) and on average I have to unplug the router every other month to fix the wifi signal...

The other thing about having a physical built in device is multiple garages...Lots of gated communities where I live, need one remote for the gate and another for your garage...Also maybe you have a friend/family in a gated community...Far easier for them to "load" their signal into your car vs just giving you an extra remote...

I believe someone made the decision to omit it from the Cruze to make the Malibu look more attractive...Maybe MY18...

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I have tried using a Belkin wifi switch activated via Apple watch ( still need your phone in your pocket ) I am not always in a car when I need to get the door opened.

but low power bluetooth with a 300 ft range also works for me but range may not work for others.

one day, talking to you hand while driving may be a no - no

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I have tried using a Belkin wifi switch activated via Apple watch ( still need your phone in your pocket ) I am not always in a car when I need to get the door opened.

but low power bluetooth with a 300 ft range also works for me but range may not work for others.

one day, talking to you hand while driving may be a no - no
Hey Siri, open Cord's garage door....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts