GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remove the inflater and leak sealer under the hatch deck and install a spare tire. The tire could be optional, but build in a location to add one if desired.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
GM has a kit for the Volt. They don't advertise it, but the part number exists: 19333502

I've attached the super-secret instructions on how to install the spare.

Unfortunately... the spare takes up space in the cargo area and will also reduce range from the weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Here is the finished look. The only time I take it out is when my 100 pound Golden Retriever goes for a ride. Then it sits up right on the floor behind one of the front seats.

IMG_2118.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
I opted for an "in-between" approach: a slightly smaller "full-size" spare on a 16" Sonic wheel with a tire size of 195/45R16. The diameter is slightly more than the donut spare, and the tire/wheel combo with spare tire cover will fit, strapped to the back of the larger rear seat back, allowing it to sit upright most of the time, consuming less space, and folding with the seat when necessary. The tire is rated at 1100 lbs. carrying capacity, works fine when mounted on front or rear, and can be used for any distance necessary, since it is a regular tire. The photo showing 3 tires: largest is current stock Volt 215/70R17, 195/45R16 on Sonic 16" wheel, and a donut spare from my wife's 2008 Malibu (slightly larger than Cruze/Sonic 16" donut). The standard size Volt 215/70R17 tire and wheel are wider than the larger seatback; would not allow seatback to fold. Bought a spare tire cover from an auto store, stretched the standard cover over it. Every attempt to utilize a spare tire creates some problems; this solution has worked very well for me.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
I'm not sure those rubber straps connected to the back seat clip would be considered crash worthy. I'd be concerned about a UFO in a crash. There is a reason spares get bolted down. But that's just me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good point. They certainly seem to be very securely fastened -- I can't budge it when I pull on it. But I'm sure that other arrangements might be better. Tie straps, maybe -- when the rear seats are folded down, and there is a lot of cargo, bags, or stuff loaded in, I try to utilize straps to keep the cargo and bags from sliding forward. When the seats are in the up position, as they are nearly all the time, the seatback should help hold the spare; the attachment clamps that hold the seatback up seem to be very strong and should offer quite a few "G's" of restraint. Not sure that a single bolt would offer much better resistance in a crash.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Since the Volt has a high rear ,has anyone tried a trough -bolt with the tire outside the car frame?. Seems shoud be enough height at least for a donut tire, just like the old trucks, preserving storage room in the back.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
Not sure that a single bolt would offer much better resistance in a crash.
The bolt is screwed into the car structure, and hold the wheel down securely. The rubber straps are designed to stretch and will have more potential points of failure from snapping to the S hook hole breaking to the S hook straightening out. This would not be a concern of mine in normal use. but in a violent crash inertia takes over and thing in motion tend to want to remain in motion. IOW, the tire will want to fly. Whether it would, I don't know. There is also the side impact force that will want to shear the tire to the side. Just saying it is a concern.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Since the Volt has a high rear ,has anyone tried a trough -bolt with the tire outside the car frame?. Seems shoud be enough hight at least for a donut tire, just like the old trucks, preserving storage room in the back.
It looks like there might be a little space beside the muffler, but we'd need heavy structures added to hold it and then shield the gas tank from a rear impact. (It's just on the other side of the rear tires.) All that weight would be a killer for this car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I opted for an "in-between" approach: a slightly smaller "full-size" spare on a 16" Sonic wheel with a tire size of 195/45R16. The diameter is slightly more than the donut spare, and the tire/wheel combo with spare tire cover will fit, strapped to the back of the larger rear seat back, allowing it to sit upright most of the time, consuming less space, and folding with the seat when necessary. The tire is rated at 1100 lbs. carrying capacity, works fine when mounted on front or rear, and can be used for any distance necessary, since it is a regular tire. The photo showing 3 tires: largest is current stock Volt 215/70R17, 195/45R16 on Sonic 16" wheel, and a donut spare from my wife's 2008 Malibu (slightly larger than Cruze/Sonic 16" donut). The standard size Volt 215/70R17 tire and wheel are wider than the larger seatback; would not allow seatback to fold. Bought a spare tire cover from an auto store, stretched the standard cover over it. Every attempt to utilize a spare tire creates some problems; this solution has worked very well for me.
I like this solution. What size is your sonic wheel 16x6.5 or 16x7?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts