GM Volt Forum banner

Add 2019 Volt Fast Charge mode to Older Volts

92K views 110 replies 49 participants last post by  BoltVolt 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if we will be able to swap out a box or something and get the new fast charge option (7.2) in the older volts, like mine a 2017?

#4 ·
Few things are impossible, but I would venture a guess that it wouldn't be a simple 'box exchange' and if we fast forward here 3 or 4 years and revisit this thread, I'll bet few, if any, have done it

Don

#5 ·
Considering exactly zero folks have posted success in dropping the 3.6kW OBCM > 3.3kW OBCM from Gen2 into the Gen1, I predict an equal number of people will have similar success in the future 7.2kW > 3.6kW retrofit into previous generation(s) of the Volt...

#6 ·
I don't think the 3.6KW Gen 2 charger physically fits in the Gen 1, which would be the first impediment to the faster charging. Also the time difference from 3.3 to 3.6 simply won't be that much given the Volt's battery size.

On the other hand, I would be very surprise of the 2019 7.2KW charger isn't a perfect fit for the 2016-2018 Volt, especially since the 2019 also has the 3.6KW charger. Halving the charge time would make a difference, especially for those who pay by the hour vs. KW to charge. I suspect it won't be as simple as just dropping in the faster charger however, since the computers will have to be updated to reflect the faster charger.

#7 ·
The wiring from the charging port to the on-board charger and from the charger to the battery pack would need to be up sized to handle the increased amperage. The coolant flow rate to the on-board charger might have to be increased to provide additional cooling capacity. Updating the Volt's software is probably the biggest hurdle.

#8 ·
The wiring from the charge port to the on-board charger isn't hard to replace as well if you're going to swap the on-board charger itself. Coolant flow, thats a none issue, the computer monitors temp, if it exceeds a certain value it runs the thermal management system. So if charging at a faster rate increases temps then the on-board system will just run more often on its own. The biggest hurdle I believe is going to be software. If the charge rate is limited by software in another module besides the charger then it may present an issue.

Considering exactly zero folks have posted success in dropping the 3.6kW OBCM > 3.3kW OBCM from Gen2 into the Gen1, I predict an equal number of people will have similar success in the future 7.2kW > 3.6kW retrofit into previous generation(s) of the Volt...
Totally different, as previously stated physical dimensions were different and 3.3 to 3.6 is not worth the money but for shear convenience 7.2 is way better than 3.6. Countless times I could've made my trips on all electric if the charge rates were higher.

#10 · (Edited)
The 7.2kw charging on the 2019 LT is a $750 option. Imagine what it would cost to buy the needed parts over the counter?

When GM installs it at the factory, the 3.6kw unit stays on the shelf. Done as a retrofit you end up having purchased both units, and it's doubtful the 3.6kw unit pulled out will have much resale value.

Taking that into account, what would the payback time be for using less gas and more electricity?

It would be great to have and I wish we could have waited a year to get our Volt. As a retrofit it does not make much sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#16 · (Edited)
If one wanted to utilize 7.2kw charging at home too, then that can of course introduce more additional costs.

In our case it would mean running new wiring 85' from our house to the garage as well as buying a new charge station. Not to mention how a 40 amp circuit just for the charge station may tax our 100 amp service.

I'm not even sure if it would pay off if one is on a budget and buying an LT. Paying $750 extra is pretty stiff. I'm sure it might in some cases though. The LT even without the 7.2kw is up by $300, but it does have some improvements standard.

It makes much more sense on the Premier where the 7.2kw is standard. The Premier is up by $550 but you get the power driver's seat and the other improvements too.

#18 · (Edited)
That's not too bad if that's all that is needed for a retrofit into a 2018 or earlier Volt that never came with a 7.2 kw charger in the first place. I'm guessing that may not be the case though.

Even if it were that simple, I can say there is no way I would recoup the 700 bucks.

Someone will try it though and it will be interesting to see what it entails.

#20 ·
My wifes company has EV charging as a perk. However they only allow each car a two hour time slice. It is enough to cover one way of her commute. If the Volt had 7.2kW charging, she could literally only charge it at work and not even bother to charge it at home. Except on weekends, of course.

Unfortunately her next work gig will start soon with a 58-68 mile daily round trip. Not sure if there will be any EV charging yet. So she'll probably start using a bit of gas every day. So much for our voltstats...

#24 ·
Probably possible with a potential fire hazard. In engineering sometimes it's not the design and manufacturing of a part but testing and qualifying that costs more. This will be like people converting their OEM charger to L2 at home without proper testing/qualification..

#27 ·
There are a lot of people who have converted their OEM EVSE to L2 without issue. Myself being one of them, I use it to charge from completely drained to full every day and the cables don't even get warm to the touch. But yes I see your point. Obviously though for those that might be interested in tackling the On board charger replacement then some homework will need to be done. If it turns out the part numbers for everything (harness and such) are EXACTLY the same and all the changes is the module itself then what hazard is there? Now if there are physical changes in wire gauge and such then thats a different story. Just like ANY modification to a car, it's all about doing your homework on something like this.

#32 · (Edited)
Upgrading to 7.7kWh charger - Other considerations

Here are some thoughts...

This is a view of a 2017 Premier trunk area. The module on the left is the charger for the 12v battery and the right is the main battery charger. They both share a cooling system and 352v connection to the main battery.

Technology Electronics Electronic device Auto part Vehicle

Assume for a moment that the Chevy Bolt charger could be inserted in place of the Volt's and that there are no System/Software issues to be resolved. What else would be a limitation?

Chevy Bolt Charger

Text Diagram Line Font Design

John Kelly of Weber State does a fantastic video on Youtube where he tears down the Volt battery pack. This includes taking apart the battery interface (Battery Relay Assembly). There are a couple of issues there.

Fuse for the charging modules is undersized to handle the load of a larger charger. There would need to be a around a 30amp fuse rather than 15 amps.

View attachment SB-10078864-7690.pdf

The neutral wire used on the charger interface is a smaller gauge than the positive connection and possibly won't handle the doubling of the amperage. Getting into the interface module to modify this wire would be a large task.

Auto part Electronics Engine Technology Vehicle

Attachments

#33 ·
Good thoughts. One thing that would need to be addressed is J1772 signalling. A 7.2kW charger would draw double the AC current the stock charger does, which would be a problem if the computer responsible for communication with the EVSE was still signalling as if the OBC would only be drawing 13A. It need to be safe and functional when plugged into any EVSE.

Does anyone know where the J1772 signalling is handled? If it's in the OBC itself, then I expect it'd be fine. If external, some hacking would need needed.

#37 ·
I'm starting to wonder if they are in fact the same charger or not. On Chevy's website, it says "the new 7.2 kW onboard charger can provide up to 22 miles per hour charged" verses on the Bolt EV it says "Up to 25 miles of range per hour of charge". Source. Or maybe it's based on efficiency (e.g. Bolt EV is more efficient, so can drive more miles per kwh?)

#40 ·
Doubling Charge Rate for 2017 Volt - Worth It for My Situation

I drive over 33K miles per year so my 2017 will be out of the 100K mile warranty in early 2020. I charge twice a day, at home at night and during the day at work for my 110 mile daily commute. The ChargePoint at work has a 4-hour limit so I burn a little gas. If I could do a full charge at work I could go from 83% to 100% full electric and it would cut my ChargePoint cost almost in half. :)

I'm good up to 40 Amps at home so I would pay up to $1000 for the retrofit. I hope GM will let the dealers do it or if not a third party. Charging twice at fast could change the gas vs. electric economics for <200 mile weekend trips if chargers are located in shopping centers, theaters, beaches and other places where I would stay put for about 2 hours.

#43 ·
Called my local dealership to see if they could upgrade my 18 premier to the 7.2kwh charger, short answer was that they didn’t know, sounded like they thought the part would work, but were unsure if the software would allow it. Or if the software would need to be reprogrammed, or if GM will allow them to. I was told to call back next week when there service manager would be back from vacation to see if he could call GM and find out.

#56 ·
Not sure how the above weber series video has anything to do with the AC to DC convertor for charging

Felt it was a waste of my time watching 50 minutes. I am adding a link where he recaps all the connections and not once is the AC to DC charging referenced. https://youtu.be/dM6s3sLaTqE?t=2486

If you want to learn great video but not much more about the module that we want to upgrade from 3.6kW to 7.2kW charging

#57 ·
that link may have been my saved starting points : the side links in youtu have the other video.
I watched all but some using FF-- My interesting was the cooling of the electronic units.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.