GM Volt Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
If the Volt can receive 208VAC or 240VAC...

So how high of a voltage can the Gen2 charger (3.6KW) receive?
Could I transform the 240VAC up to say 300VAC and deliver 16Amps to faster charge?
Transformer 240VAC to 300VAC with 16A capability.
Thoughts?...

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
If the Volt can receive 208VAC or 240VAC...

So how high of a voltage can the Gen2 charger (3.6KW) receive?
Could I transform the 240VAC up to say 300VAC and deliver 16Amps to faster charge?
Transformer 240VAC to 300VAC with 16A capability.
Thoughts?...
I believe the Volt is limited to a maximum of 248V; 277V that is sometimes seen in the power source for commercial parking lot lighting is definitely too high. I believe the Tesla Wall Connector can be set to use 277V power, just saying.

The Volt will only draw a maximum of 16 amps using Level 2 charging (32 amps for the 2019 Volt if equipped with the 7.2kW on-board charger.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, If I bumped up the Voltage to the vehicle to say 260VAC and stayed at 16Amp on vehicle side, the load to the chargepoint charger would still be under 32A even at 208VAC. Since I get $$ charged by the hour I charge faster at less cost.
This would require a 5KVA or 7KVA step up transformer with a J1772 input and a J1772 charger cord.
I would only be moving the charge time down a bit though. So, maybe not so worth the trouble.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Doing an upgrade like that for experimentation sake is one thing (big down sides) but doesn't really make sense dollar wise to get higher charge rate even if successful at an L2 at your local shopping mall or cut the charge time from 4 hours to 2 hours overnight especially when you have the gas alternative (if you aren't too obsessed). If you want to tinker, fine, I can see that but better to tinker on a collector car making upgrades (like putting a twin turbo 700 hp LS6 in a TR7 like a friend did) than getting an obscure advantage that won't really make any difference anyway. But it's your money and you can spend it any way you want (assuming your wife says you can).:p
I know it's off-topic, but did your friend have any trouble with the standard transmission and differential handling the additional torque of the 700 hp V-8? Or did he change those out also? The reason I ask is that my 1976 TR-7 lost a couple of teeth on the ring gear of the differential at around 130,000 miles and I was stock. In my case, not having replaced the differential oil in a timely fashion may have contributed to the failure. I don't think that the factory had a recommended mileage for replacing the oil...but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
It makes a difference if you only have 2-3 hours to charge, before you need to leave again.
Thankfully, mine has the higher output charger.
Near as I can figure, the extra cost of burning gas versus the faster charge is a nickel a mile. So unless you have ... 15,000 miles where you're driving electric instead of gas because you had to leave after only three hours to charge instead of five, you're still behind on everything but the nifty.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I know it's off-topic, but did your friend have any trouble with the standard transmission and differential handling the additional torque of the 700 hp V-8? Or did he change those out also? The reason I ask is that my 1976 TR-7 lost a couple of teeth on the ring gear of the differential at around 130,000 miles and I was stock. In my case, not having replaced the differential oil in a timely fashion may have contributed to the failure. I don't think that the factory had a recommended mileage for replacing the oil...but I could be wrong.
He used a Chevy transmission and a Ford 8" diff to handle the power. Front suspension was Mustang. Stock diff didn't have a drain hole (just an add one) so I'm guessing no replacement recommended. I changed mine when I had the axle out (turned upside down) when I treated the gas tank with POR-15 and other people pulled the oil out with a marine pump.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Unless gas goes to $10/gallon, I'm guessing the payback would be measured in millions of miles...
If I were to use the lines of Elon Musk, it would more than pay for itself after one charging. If I earn $500/hour, saving me a couple of hours would be $1,000. Talk about the Waltons that earn $5 M per minute.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It makes a difference if you only have 2-3 hours to charge, before you need to leave again.
Thankfully, mine has the higher output charger.
Near as I can figure, the extra cost of burning gas versus the faster charge is a nickel a mile. So unless you have ... 15,000 miles where you're driving electric instead of gas because you had to leave after only three hours to charge instead of five, you're still behind on everything but the nifty.
I guess that depends upon your fuel cost, & electricity cost, but whatever. It’s still handy to not have to visit the gas station as often.
It’d also be nice to not have to make the whole 96-104 mile round-trip on gas, versus having to only do less than half of that on gasoline.

It also means being able to charge two vehicles with that charging station in less time, as they’re both on it for less time.

It’s just a handy thing in general.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any chance one of you new 2019 Premiere owners could post a pic of your trunk area, like the one (2017) below,
for comparison purposes....

Money shot of the 7.2kW charger would also show the 8-digit GM part# like on the Bolt's OBCM pic above I suppose!;)
GM 7.2kw charger

GM Part # 24277908

Current status, unavailable, part is too new.

Hopefully in a few months.
Ask and you shall (eventually) receive...

The 7.2kW charger is definitely bigger, but it doesn't look like it would be too hard to make it fit. The coolant hookups look pretty similar, if not identical. Some of the mounting points might be a little different (e.g. the mount toward the right rear corner of the car). Now I'm curious what the 3.6kW charger in a 2019 looks like.

I didn't think to look at the underside of the foam, but I'm sure it's slightly different to match the larger 7.2kW charger. That would also provide an explanation for why the jack holder is different too.

GuardianZX9 was correct on the 24277908 part number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although this thread seems to have taken off on two or three tangents, I'd like to comment on the original question.
GM has turned its back on the Volt. I'd sat the chance of any kind of upgrade is as close to nil as you can get.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Although this thread seems to have taken off on two or three tangents, I'd like to comment on the original question.
GM has turned its back on the Volt. I'd sat the chance of any kind of upgrade is as close to nil as you can get.
This kind of modification would likely be developed independently from GM anyway. There are people who could do this, the question is the market big enough to justify the development of a kit and installation procedure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This thread is slowly making progress. The biggest roadblock to this is not the charger, and not the connectors. It is the VIN locked software to enable it. Some people would say that roadblock is the end of the road - but the Corvette guys manage to get around that all the time. Of course it is a slightly different and bigger market, but it means the software can be manipulated.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Still no definitive answer if the 2019 7.2kW charger is plug and play with earlier Gen2 Volts. but here are some comparison pics of the 3.7kW vs 7.2kW from Reddit. Look closely and note the hatch floor is the same sheet metal on both cars, but with different mounting points spot welded to the floor. So, the larger 7.2kW would not be a direct carry over and install into previous Gen2 floors. The hoses and wiring connectors look identical. Who knows if the J1772 plug wiring is larger gauge.
I still want to know if its plug and play. And Im willing to do a trial swap in my garage.

WpjgdIf.jpg xhm9NZD.jpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's great insight. At the point GM was spot welding special fixtures (the mounting tab and different spare tire carrier) to the car, I would expect that this is more than something more than a plug-and-play accessory. If they are going to all that engineering and effort to manufacture the body different for the electronics, I would think there must be other changes in the car than just the accommodation for the charger module.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Looking closely, it appears the plugs on the orange wiring harness are opposite on 7.2kW charger vs. the 3.7 kW charger. If so that explains the longer length of harness on that side of the larger charger. That harness also leads all the way back to the J1772 plug and also the HV battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Well, I took my 2016 Volt to a dealer to see if they would attempt an upgrade, but they said it is not recommended, which they also said means that they will not do it. It looks like I would need to take it to someone who would be willing to do a little experimenting. Does anyone know a place like this? GM, might you please allow older volts the upgrade option?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
If you couldn't pay a dealer to do it (and I'm sure it' s not cheap) then you might be hard pressed to find anyone else willing to dig into the electrical guts to take on a job like this. The risks are just too high. The part is one thing, but who knows what other electrical components, wiring, cooling, etc. GM upgraded to accomoddate it.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts