GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Any chance one of you new 2019 Premiere owners could post a pic of your trunk area, like the one (2017) below,
for comparison purposes....

Money shot of the 7.2kW charger would also show the 8-digit GM part# like on the Bolt's OBCM pic above I suppose!;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Called my local dealership to see if they could upgrade my 18 premier to the 7.2kwh charger, short answer was that they didn’t know, sounded like they thought the part would work, but were unsure if the software would allow it. Or if the software would need to be reprogrammed, or if GM will allow them to. I was told to call back next week when there service manager would be back from vacation to see if he could call GM and find out.

·
Banned
154 Posts
This is the kind of thing a Dealer never wants to delve into, and its even less likely you'd get an accurate, knowledgeable answer from them. Most will just make up a reason why it wont work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the kind of thing a Dealer never wants to delve into, and its even less likely you'd get an accurate, knowledgeable answer from them. Most will just make up a reason why it wont work.
Well I am not sure what to do then, if I can’t get an answer that is honest from a dealership, and I can’t get GM to reply, who do I go to?

·
Banned
154 Posts
Someone is going to give it a try, eventually. Too bad removal/replacement involves liquid coolant hoses, but a quick plug-and-play check would be very easy.

2019 Premiere owners, Post a Pic please!!! At least show us what it looks like.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well I am not sure what to do then, if I can’t get an answer that is honest from a dealership, and I can’t get GM to reply, who do I go to?
GM's provides an excellent option. All you have to do is take your current vehicle to any one of their dealerships and they would be happy to trade in your current car for a new 2019 Volt!

Unfortunately, the "upgrade" concept seems to be foreign to all carmakers right now except for Tesla.

We're just left to deal with this like any other model of car - wait until someone (deciding to invest their own funds and time) hacks together the process an instructions for the modification.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
GM's provides an excellent option. All you have to do is take your current vehicle to any one of their dealerships and they would be happy to trade in your current car for a new 2019 Volt!
Will they honor my 0% financing I got on my 2017? If not, then this is an option, just not an excellent option.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Will they honor my 0% financing I got on my 2017? If not, then this is an option, just not an excellent option.
On a normal car, I'm sure they would make a deal to get you to a happy place, but... the dealers really don't want to sell this car. :( (That's probably a discussion for another thread...)

·
Registered
554 Posts
We're just left to deal with this like any other model of car - wait until someone (deciding to invest their own funds and time) hacks together the process an instructions for the modification.
I probably should have added that the odds of a hobbyist coming up with the solution go up 8 months from now, when GM goes to print with the 2019 technical documentation. (The 2019 technical info currently requires a mechanic's technical subscription.)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
T....

Taking that into account, what would the payback time be for using less gas and more electricity?
since electricity currently costs me more than Gas for the same driving, it would never pay back for me....

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Be sure ti check out the weber state Volt video series.

one starting point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6s3sLaTqE

the last one I watched showed the parts needed but where not sure they could do the porgramming to support them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Be sure ti check out the weber state Volt video series.

one starting point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6s3sLaTqE

the last one I watched showed the parts needed but where not sure they could do the porgramming to support them.
Not sure how the above weber series video has anything to do with the AC to DC convertor for charging

Felt it was a waste of my time watching 50 minutes. I am adding a link where he recaps all the connections and not once is the AC to DC charging referenced. https://youtu.be/dM6s3sLaTqE?t=2486

If you want to learn great video but not much more about the module that we want to upgrade from 3.6kW to 7.2kW charging

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
that link may have been my saved starting points : the side links in youtu have the other video.
I watched all but some using FF-- My interesting was the cooling of the electronic units.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is something I'm very interested in as well, the quicker charge speed may not ever pay itself back in terms of fuel/electricity but the time it saves you at charging stations or charging at home is more than enough to want to make the swap.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Has any information on the needed software changes been addressed ? That need was noted in the video.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its funny, what I find weird about all this back and forth about using the new on board charger on 16-18 Volts is that so many people think it cant be done. But I have seen people online hack up Volts and Bolts to make weird stuff using Volt Batteries and Bolt on board Chargers and such and made everything work. Maybe if we could get info from one of those guys on how they made it work we might be able to get better answers for this. I have looked at service procedure for replacing that existing on board charger and there is nowhere that mentions anything about programming any modules in the event of replacement. I am almost certain the software needed to do these things is integrated into the module itself.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts