GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting for release of ACC for your new Gen 2? Well, perhaps you should wait awhile longer, as the technology appears to need some tweaking before being ready for prime time. Here, from a Gizmag test is yet another* report on ACC use:
"Lexus also includes adaptive cruise control as standard in the LX, but like those we've tried in other vehicles from the brand, it tends to be abrupt and laggy in use. It waits until the last minute and then applies a lot of brake force to slow down before taking a lot of time to decide to begin accelerating again when the slower vehicle is no longer in front. Drivers will likely find themselves taking over manually much of the time."
Better, methinks, to apply my First Law of Survival on the Highway: "Look where you are going"
p. s. I really like the rear-ender warning in Gen 2. That feature is going industry-wide shortly and I say: Bravo!
* see current Motor Trend, Outlander long term test review.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Ha ha. ACC on the ELR is very good. Never have experienced the braking issue described. Ironically, the biggest issue for me is that the ELR accelerates too strongly when a car moves out of the way. I'd rather it be smoother and not as strong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had ACC on my Ford Flex since 2012 and the only time it reacts that way is if someone slams the brakes in front of you... But I'll say right now that the ACC in my wife's Acura MDX is way more abrupt. Maybe it's a Japanese thing?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The ACC in my dad's Subaru Legacy (with 'EyeSight') works very well. From freeway speeds to slow stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ACC works flawlessly in both my 2013 Lincoln MKZ and my girlfriend's 2015 Chrysler 200C. As mcsenerd said, maybe it's something the Jap carmakers haven't quite figured out as well as the Big Detroit Three?

I wouldn't dream of buying a car without it now.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I use ELR's ACC every day in stop-n-go traffic. It does a reasonable job as I don't get a lot of road rage. Even though everyone in DFW drives like NASCAR drafting.

I compare GM ACC to a teenage driver. Very reactive.

Cons:
- It does eat up a lot of space before braking and cannot brake hard enough by itself if the car in front slams on the brakes.
- Takes off abruptly if the lane clears. Even if other lanes are still slow/parked. Very disconcerting.
- Doesn't keep the gap like I want, but, it's not bad. If the car in front accelerates, ELR falls back a little. If the lead car slows, ELR closes the gap a little. This may be an unexpected consequence of gap being a time (3-sec gap) not a distance (30' gap).
- Sometimes loses detection at slow speeds and disengages without warning. (rare though)
- I wish it would auto-resume from a dead stop. Need to press the accelerator to get it going again.

Pros:
- Way better than manually switching from gas to brake to gas to brake. 'L' range helps a lot as well.
- ELR has easy-to-use engagement/disengagement right on the steering wheel face.
- Will resume from an ACC dead stop by just tapping the accelerator. (Does not disengage like others I have used.)
- Will engage starting at 13mph from off. ~5mph if previously engaged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Waiting for release of ACC for your new Gen 2? Well, perhaps you should wait awhile longer, as the technology appears to need some tweaking before being ready for prime time. Here, from a Gizmag test is yet another* report on ACC use:
"Lexus also includes adaptive cruise control as standard in the LX, but like those we've tried in other vehicles from the brand, it tends to be abrupt and laggy in use. It waits until the last minute and then applies a lot of brake force to slow down before taking a lot of time to decide to begin accelerating again when the slower vehicle is no longer in front. Drivers will likely find themselves taking over manually much of the time."
Better, methinks, to apply my First Law of Survival on the Highway: "Look where you are going"
p. s. I really like the rear-ender warning in Gen 2. That feature is going industry-wide shortly and I say: Bravo!
* see current Motor Trend, Outlander long term test review.
I concur with the statement regarding the Lexus ACC. I have a 2013 RX350 and have to really pay attention to the rate I am overtaking the car ahead as it waits way too long for my tastes to react causing me to go manual far more than I should have too.
Carlysle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts