GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found an answer to this and would like to ask the forum. Driver's Confidence Package 2 gives "automatic forward, low speed automatic braking" with forward collision alert. I believe I read that was 31 MPH or less.

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) gives "Full Speed Front Automatic Braking"

Here is the question for a car equipped with ACC BUT not having cruise control on. If I am driving 45 MPH or 55 MPH and the car senses I might hit the object in front of me, will the car try to stop itself? I can't seem to find any answer. Does anyone know?

· Registered
6,863 Posts
Based on my experience NO. You must have ACC ON before the car will brake at speeds over 31 MPH. It does work, it's not as smooth as a human, but once it locks on to car you are following it will stop the car to a dead stop if the car in front of you does so.

Re FCA and FAB all I can say is I don't think I have the guts to test it. I have gotten many FCA's and have always gotten to the brake pedal before the car has reacted. I guess if I were really not paying attention it would engage. But to sit back and hope it works is not human nature.

I wonder if there is some test we could conduct in a parking lot to see how it works. So far I haven't seen any YouTube video's with a Volt. There are a few with Tesla's though.

· Registered
4,101 Posts
I haven't found an answer to this and would like to ask the forum. Driver's Confidence Package 2 gives "automatic forward, low speed automatic braking" with forward collision alert. I believe I read that was 31 MPH or less.

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) gives "Full Speed Front Automatic Braking"

Here is the question for a car equipped with ACC BUT not having cruise control on. If I am driving 45 MPH or 55 MPH and the car senses I might hit the object in front of me, will the car try to stop itself? I can't seem to find any answer. Does anyone know?
Everybody is still too chicken. :D Especially after there has been Tesla frontal impacts with their system.

There is a post on here "Thanks Chevrolet" in 2nd gen, about what happened to me with no ACC active, but the FCA/IBA/AEB system (frontal warning and braking). It spotted a very minor variation in a stopped car than just started to move into my path, quicker than the human eye can react with a semi-pro race driver behind the wheel.

Even IF the system works 99% percent of the time, I still see it as a copilot, not a pilot. I am not going to rely on it blindly.

BTW - Have you SEEN the FCA come on? GEEZ!!! It has an HUD that broadcasts 6 superbright LED's across the windshield while beeping at you. It WILL get the attention of anybody with a pulse.

· Registered
6,863 Posts
Everybody is still too chicken.

BTW - Have you SEEN the FCA come on? GEEZ!!! It has an HUD that broadcasts 6 superbright LED's across the windshield while beeping at you. It WILL get the attention of anybody with a pulse.
Jarring is how I describe it. The BEEPING could wake the dead.

· Registered
926 Posts

· Registered
2017 Volt Premier
80 Posts
If I am driving 45 MPH or 55 MPH and the car senses I might hit the object in front of me, will the car try to stop itself?
YES! It will. I have experienced the HUD lights and sound as well as initiation of braking at speeds between 40-50 mph. Since I intervened very quickly, and the situation was essentially a false alarm (car merging out of my lane), the system did not continue to brake hard. Many folks are failing to realize that the ACC option provides this function for high speed automatic braking. For me, ACC's adaptive cruise control function is secondary to the automatic braking sophistication it provides beyond the optical-only sensor that comes with DCP-2.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES! It will. I have experienced the HUD lights and sound as well as initiation of braking at speeds between 40-50 mph. Since I intervened very quickly, and the situation was essentially a false alarm (car merging out of my lane), the system did not continue to brake hard. Many folks are failing to realize that the ACC option provides this function for high speed automatic braking. For me, ACC's adaptive cruise control function is secondary to the automatic braking sophistication it provides beyond the optical-only sensor that comes with DCP-2.
Thanks!! That is exactly the answer I was looking for. This answer has eluded me until now, and I was in need of an answer. To me, that alone, makes ACC a must have option for my next Volt. My daughter is getting pretty close to driving age and I would very much like for her to have this feature. Thanks again.

Just to be absolutely clear though, when this happened, your cruise control was NOT being used, correct?

· Registered
10,014 Posts
I have been driving on ACC every work day for almost two years. There are many scenarios where a high speed collision is not detected and the car actually accelerates!

1. The car icon must be lit before the car takes action.
2. If there is a stationary object or vehicle in the path of travel, it will not be detected at all. ACC will act like regular CC and continue like nothing is wrong. This includes stopped cars reveiled when the car it is locked on changes lanes.
3. In my experience, FCA does not alert or take action if ACC is OFF at high speed. The detection distance is too short for the car to react in time if the closing speed is too high.
4. My car is a 2014 and there may be differences.

I DO NOT recommend that a new driver use ACC or CC until they have a year of driving experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.