GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I thought that I would create a thread for those interested in Adaptive Cruise Control or for those to share their experiences with it.

I have only had my '17 Kinetic Blue with ACC for two days now, so this is just initial impressions, but so far ACC is awesome! Definitely worth waiting for this feature. You just set cruise control like normal and it is automatically on. It says "Adaptive Cruise Control set to 55". When enabled, it shows a little car icon next to the lane departure icon when it has detected a car. There are three little squares which designate whether you are following Near, Medium and Far. To change the distance setting you press the middle cruise button. Once selected it will adjust immediately by accelerating or decelerating.

When you approach a slower vehicle it automatically slows down, even to a full stop. If it does completely stop it seems you have to resume the cruise control. If a car exits the lane or you change lanes it will resume your original set speed. You can adjust your cruise speed while following a slow vehicle. For instance, let's say you are behind someone going 50 and you have cruise set to 55. Then you enter a 65 mph zone, you can increase (press and hold to increase/decrease by 5 miles at a time) cruise to 65 and it will keep you at 50 until you can pass that car or if they speed up or exit.

A couple minor behaviors worth noting: If a car is turning out of the lane where there is not a turn lane, while the car has a little bit sticking into the lane as your are approaching, the ACC will slow you down as if they are stopped because they are mostly perpendicular to your direction until they completely leave the lane. Normally I might swerve a little to pass a turning vehicle, or know that by the time I get there the car will have completed the turn. The second behavior is that if you have ACC on, but are not following anyone, and then you come upon someone who has stopped (at a light), you may want to put on your brakes yourself. It didn't seem to slow down as soon as I would have. I even got the flashing red lights a couple times.

A slight tap on the gas will temporarily override the ACC.

Combine this with lane keep assist and you are getting pretty close to semi-autonomous driving. I did find that the lane detection only works some of the time, so don't rely on it. When it does work there is an icon on the screen. Though, it is meant to be a safety backup, not a self-driving feature.

While driving yesterday it did detect a bicyclist on the road, which is nice, but I don't think that was advertised. It may not always work so pay attention!

Last note for now, when I was going through vehicle settings in mylink, I saw something about pedestrian detection, but it was grayed out and I couldn't select it. When I clicked on something else and went back it had disappeared...weird. Not sure if they were working on that, but didn't finish it, or what?

Overall I am impressed by this feature and would recommend it, although if you are looking at the base model it will add 6k+, but you do get a lot of nice features too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I absolutely love it in my car. Awesome for traffic jams too. I just keep my finger on the resume button and relax. It does a beautiful job. Definitely programmed well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your ACC sounds nearly identical to mine (in my '14 ELR), with the exception of the distance button; on the ELR, it's a separate button on the steering wheel.

As a three-month, 8,000-mile veteran of ACC, I have a strong recommendation: do not rely on ACC to behave with anything more than simple, unrefined logic.

A couple of times, I have been behind slow vehicles that have pulled out of my lane, exposing a longer space between me and the new target car a few more lengths ahead. ACC has a tendency to hesitate (while it analyzes the new traffic), and then floor it in order to get back up to speed. I'm not saying it doesn't *see* the new target ahead, but I *am* saying it does not behave the way you or I would do it. It lurches ahead, and then (assuming it does see the new target) it regens / brakes awfully hard in order not to hit the new target.

Once, I had to slam on the brakes myself because I was approaching the car ahead much faster than was safe, and much faster than ACC had shown a history of.

That said, I love it and will never want to drive a car without it again.

--Chris

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your ACC sounds nearly identical to mine (in my '14 ELR), with the exception of the distance button; on the ELR, it's a separate button on the steering wheel.

As a three-month, 8,000-mile veteran of ACC, I have a strong recommendation: do not rely on ACC to behave with anything more than simple, unrefined logic.

A couple of times, I have been behind slow vehicles that have pulled out of my lane, exposing a longer space between me and the new target car a few more lengths ahead. ACC has a tendency to hesitate (while it analyzes the new traffic), and then floor it in order to get back up to speed. I'm not saying it doesn't *see* the new target ahead, but I *am* saying it does not behave the way you or I would do it. It lurches ahead, and then (assuming it does see the new target) it regens / brakes awfully hard in order not to hit the new target.

Once, I had to slam on the brakes myself because I was approaching the car ahead much faster than was safe, and much faster than ACC had shown a history of.

That said, I love it and will never want to drive a car without it again.

--Chris
I don't believe I've observed this "flooring it" behavior on my ACC Volt.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't believe I've observed this "flooring it" behavior on my ACC Volt.
It nearly pegs the battery's power meter. It seems a pointless waste of energy; I wish there was a way to modulate it, like there is for the gap.

--Chris

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
It nearly pegs the battery's power meter. It seems a pointless waste of energy; I wish there was a way to modulate it, like there is for the gap.
Exactly this way on the ELR but the Volt may have a more refined implementation.

The one place where ACC doesn't seem to work is on very twisty roads. The system just doesn't see cars ahead of you since they're off to the left or right.

The one place where ACC works better than I do is when you're in the right lane and traffic is merging. Works perfectly in this situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I havent been able to get mine to work. I have set cruise when the car icon is both green and amber but, it doest 'adapt.' If the car in front of me slows down, my car just races right up to it and then obnoxiously beeps at me to warm me Im going to hit it. haha

Perhaps Im doing something incorrectly when setting it but, it seems like its a fairly straightforward process. Other than that, I love my new Volt. 2017 black premiere.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I havent been able to get mine to work. I have set cruise when the car icon is both green and amber but, it doest 'adapt.' If the car in front of me slows down, my car just races right up to it and then obnoxiously beeps at me to warm me Im going to hit it. haha.
Might be a silly question, but are you sure you have ACC? It doesn't come on all cars automatically. Every new Volt has garden variety Cruise Control, but ACC is something like a $500 option.

--Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been using ACC on my Subaru for the past 2 years, it works fantastic there is and my experience with the Volt has been good too.

What I was more looking forward to was the Lane Keep Assist (LKA): It seems to correct but then seems to have a Yo-Yo effect moving from one side to the other. My biggest gripe with LKA is that it does not give a audio alert when it is assisting. Not sure if there is a setting for enabling LKA audio alerts, but I am looking at the situation where I am distracted and LKA kicks in and corrects and re-correct etc. and I have no idea this is happening. An audio alert would help warn me that I better keep attention on the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had ACC on my Ford Fusion ENERGI prior to my Volt and I do notice that the VOLT tends to accelerate (and RESUME) much more quicly than my Fusion did. I know the car has great zip, but it does feel like it the ACC (and cruise control in general) is overly aggressive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Naturally, my first post on the forum seems to be a silly question. I was fairly sure my Volt had ACC, but apparently it does not. It's behavior is similar to that mentioned above, where my car races up to the vehicle I'm following, and then I get the flashing red lights. My Volt does have forward braking, lane assist, etc. My question: with both driver convenience packages, is it possible to have ACC added at the dealer?

Thanks!
Kevin

·
Registered
62 Posts
My question: with both driver convenience packages, is it possible to have ACC added at the dealer?
Unfortunately not. The ACC is extensively integrated into the car, with its own radar sensor, control software, and a more sophisticated FAB (forward automatic braking) capability.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This was one of my big disappointments with Chevys ACC... I have driven a number of other manufacturers ACC cars and all of them would automatically start up from a full stop... In Southern California and commuter traffic, this can be a significant difference...

When you approach a slower vehicle it automatically slows down, even to a full stop. If it does completely stop it seems you have to resume the cruise control.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This was one of my big disappointments with Chevys ACC... I have driven a number of other manufacturers ACC cars and all of them would automatically start up from a full stop... In Southern California and commuter traffic, this can be a significant difference...

It may be a significant difference, but it is a difference based on safety considerations. Consider this scenario: I'm coming up to a four-way stop that has cars waiting in the cross-traffic lanes, and the ACC slows the car because the car ahead of me (waiting its turn to enter the intersection) is stopped, and then ACC stops my car. The car ahead of me waits for its turn to enter the intersection and then enters the intersection. If my vehicle automatically started up from a full stop once the car ahead has moved, it would enter the intersection at the time when cross traffic is taking its turn to enter the intersection, resulting in a probable crash. I don't like the implications of automatic startup in this scenario (and others I can think of, including the stop and go traffic I encounter in Southern California).

Apparently you haven't driven a Mercedes Benz with ACC. The MB system works the same as the Volt ACC.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Apparently you haven't driven a Mercedes Benz with ACC. The MB system works the same as the Volt ACC.
Yep. If the car comes to a full stop for more than about 1.5sec, then you have to tap the gas pedal to start off again. I prefer that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought that having to resume ACC after a stop would be somewhat of a hassle but, after using it, it is really easy and I agree with the above that it seems safer. I just hit the resume button on the steering wheel with my thumb. I don't even think about it anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Several times with my 2017. If I have 65 set in heavy slow traffic, and the car in front changes lanes the Volt really accelerates hard only having to break hard. I would think GM maybe rushed the software to get the car on the market. Hopefully a software update is in works. Wait until bright red lights start flashing on the windshield! You better not be daydreaming.

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, I've been getting used to my new acc equipped 2017 Volt. I am trying to understand how it works by using it for a week before reading the manual. yes, I know that's stupid, but that's how most people proceed, and I want to understand how they would experience acc. So, I'm finding that it works well on the interstate in stop and go, but it does not seem to work as well in stop light land. If I'm using it in that situation, the system seems to be unable to see that there are cars stopped in front of me at stop lights, and it would be all too willing to plow right into the rear of those stopped cars.

don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's something in the manual about this...but...I am pretty certain that GM is going to be hit with lawsuits about the acc not "working" because it rear ended cars at stop lights. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about this.

full disclosure: I test drove a Tesla X in autopilot mode prior to purchasing the 17 Volt with Acc. They are light years apart in capability, safety and of course COST! which is why I selected the amazing Volt at less than half the price. If GM follows Tesla's lead by updating ACC over OnStar or however, then they will have a ton of happy and devoted customers. If not....:-(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts