GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen ACC in the wild yet? I don't want to start shopping until Volts with ACC hit the streets.

And no, I don't want to special order a vehicle.

--
Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Before holding your breath till blue waiting for this feature, read brand new Motor Trend report on long term test Mitsubishi SUV with
ACC (and lane-holding) Reporter's take: Inconvenient to have to turn these things off on every startup. Maybe Volt will get it right.
p.s.I never use lane holding on my Gen 2. I just don't like it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's worth the wait. (It's on my ELR.)

The ELR doesn't have lane-keeping, although it does have the Cadillac Safety Seat that buzzes the butt cheek on the side you're drifting towards. But ACC is a great thing for highway driving. It's really made me a lot calmer. I don't care nearly as much anymore when I come up the rear of a slower moving vehicle. I just motor along in the right lane behind the semi until the left lane clears, move over, and the car resumes speed. Sometimes I'm not even aware of it. 'Oh, look, we're down to 52 mph. Must be behind a slowpoke. Yep. Ahhhhhh.'

Works if you're driving behind a car that comes to a stop at a light, too. Won't resume until you give the accelerator pedal a little nudge, and then it's back to traveling 1.x seconds behind the car in front of you.

If I could change one thing about it, I would make the resumption of the set speed selectable to be a little more economical. As it is, if you're more than about 15-20 mph below the set speed, it accelerates way too fast for my tastes, throwing the little bouncing ball way up into the yellow.

Overall, definitely worth it. 9/10, would option again.

--Chris

·
8,680 Posts
Before holding your breath till blue waiting for this feature, read brand new Motor Trend report on long term test Mitsubishi SUV with
ACC (and lane-holding) Reporter's take: Inconvenient to have to turn these things off on every startup. Maybe Volt will get it right.
p.s.I never use lane holding on my Gen 2. I just don't like it.

You mean this one, from march?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-mitsubishi-outlander-sel-awd-review-update-2/

That talks about how LDW is annoying and has to be turned off every trip, but I don't see how that has anything to do with ACC.

Their commentary on the ACC seems to be entirely focused on it leaving large gaps in stop and go traffic that attract folks trying to cut in.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I also have ACC on the ELR and would also give it a 9/10. Ditto as well on how fast the acceleration is when going to the set speed under some conditions. Doesn't work on twisty roads. Can't have everything.

I'd give Blind Spot a 10/10. It's also useful under a wider variety of conditions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been waiting on ACC too. It feels like it's taking forever!

I had contacted Keyes on van nuys in California about 6 weeks ago and they said they had put the order in and expect to get them in about 7 weeks. - so that's coming up pretty quick.

I also contacted another dealer yesterday to check in with them and they stated they would have them some time in the next month.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's worth the wait. (It's on my ELR.)
If I could change one thing about it, I would make the resumption of the set speed selectable to be a little more economical. As it is, if you're more than about 15-20 mph below the set speed, it accelerates way too fast for my tastes, throwing the little bouncing ball way up into the yellow.

Overall, definitely worth it. 9/10, would option again.

--Chris
Spot on! Love the ACC on my ELR. I also hate that the acceleration is seems to be wide open throttle to get back up to speed. Wish there was an option to set the return to previous speed rate.

I prefer the acceleration rate on the cruise control in the Volt, as it gradually returns to the previous speed, at maximum efficiency. So much so, that I use cruise to accelerate as it is more precise/efficient than my foot.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Their commentary on the ACC seems to be entirely focused on it leaving large gaps in stop and go traffic that attract folks trying to cut in.
So they're mad that the ACC makes them look like a kinder driver than they actually are? That's... kind of hilarious.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
So they're mad that the ACC makes them look like a kinder driver than they actually are? That's... kind of hilarious.
The problem is it when your cut off the car often needs to brake making using it jerky...I love ACC, but considering 99% of my drive is in god-awful traffic, I prefer the versions that will accelerate from a stop on its own (great for stop and go traffic)...To my understanding GM flavor of ACC doesn't yet work this way...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I love ACC, but considering 99% of my drive is in god-awful traffic, I prefer the versions that will accelerate from a stop on its own (great for stop and go traffic)...To my understanding GM flavor of ACC doesn't yet work this way...
I love the ACC provided by EyeSight on my 2016 Subaru Outback Limited. When the lead car stops only momentarily, it will stop, then resume when the lead car starts moving.

But if the lead car stops for more than a second or so, the Subaru will not automatically move. I consider that an important safety feature. Why? Because there are many situations when the ACC should NOT automatically resume motion, e.g., at stop signs, red lights (if the lead car takes a right turn, or decides to blow through the red light), a traffic jam where a signalman or policeman is waving cars through one at a time, an approaching emergency vehicle, etc. In such cases, the Subaru's ACC will hold the brakes to prevent creep, and will notify the driver when the lead car begins to move but will require a tap on the accelerator to resume motion.

That's good. I don't regard it as irritating. Twice I've been following a vehicle that disregarded a red light after a stop, and would likely have been been in an accident if my Subaru had automatically followed those vehicles. (Although the Subaru has sensors capable of recognizing the color of traffic lights, the software doesn't currently react to traffic light colors, at least in U.S. models.)

ACC makes driving in traffic less stressful. I really appreciated it yesterday, when driving about 15 miles on a very congested 4-lane highway. It does not replace the need for the driver to remain alert and to control the vehicle when necessary.

·
Registered
87 Posts
To add to that: To resume Subaru's ACC after the vehicle in front stops, you can also flip the switch on your steering so no leg/feet movement is necessary. Love ACC!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Driving to work today, Waze warned me of heavily backed up traffic on my usual route. I elected to stay the course, because I wanted to see how ACC behaved in stop and go traffic.

It was nice. A little jerky when keeping a slow pace (I was in D), like it couldn't feather the accelerator as well as a human. It irritated some of the people behind me who expected me to be closer to the traffic in front of me, but whatever. Well worth it overall...certainly a ton better than the manual transmission that I had been driving before!

I will add, I think not automatically moving forward after stopping is a critical safety feature. I wouldn't want my car moving on its own while I search the floorboards for a tic-tac, or while I browse Facebook on my phone. And while I'm not entirely sure, I think my ELR's Safety Seat *may* have buzzed me once when the car in front of me moved forward and I didn't tape the go pedal. *That's* a neat feature!

--Chris

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just ordered 2017 with ACC. The dealer did not have it. So had to order directly from GM through the dealer. Will have to wait for 6-8 weeks for delivery. Is Forward Auto Braking part of it?

p.s. Looks like @Nihilator did drive with ACC.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not yet. We are stuck in "3400, Order Broadcast for Production" status since 5/9/16. Apparently no cars have been built. No one knows why yet. Reference the "2017 Volt Waiting Room" to see the impact.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I love the ACC provided by EyeSight on my 2016 Subaru Outback Limited. When the lead car stops only momentarily, it will stop, then resume when the lead car starts moving.

But if the lead car stops for more than a second or so, the Subaru will not automatically move. I consider that an important safety feature. Why? Because there are many situations when the ACC should NOT automatically resume motion, e.g., at stop signs, red lights (if the lead car takes a right turn, or decides to blow through the red light), a traffic jam where a signalman or policeman is waving cars through one at a time, an approaching emergency vehicle, etc. In such cases, the Subaru's ACC will hold the brakes to prevent creep, and will notify the driver when the lead car begins to move but will require a tap on the accelerator to resume motion.

That's good. I don't regard it as irritating. Twice I've been following a vehicle that disregarded a red light after a stop, and would likely have been been in an accident if my Subaru had automatically followed those vehicles. (Although the Subaru has sensors capable of recognizing the color of traffic lights, the software doesn't currently react to traffic light colors, at least in U.S. models.)

ACC makes driving in traffic less stressful. I really appreciated it yesterday, when driving about 15 miles on a very congested 4-lane highway. It does not replace the need for the driver to remain alert and to control the vehicle when necessary.
Fair point about the manually pressing of "resume"...My Acura had ACC yet it couldn't be activated until you 45MPH, yet when activated you could use it in stop and go traffic...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts