GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do all the acronyms mean?

First i did try the search and i picked up a few here and there. But being that I am still some what new to the EV world as many are. I thought it would be nice to have one place that we could list all of the acronyms that revolve around the EV world and the volt.

I will start off with the ones i know.

(DIC) Driver Information Center (Instrument cluster example where you see your current MPH.)
(RKE) Remote Keyless Entry
(RAP) Retained Accessory Power (State the car is in when you turn it off but have not open the door yet.)
(TPMS) Tire Pressure Monitor System
(TCS) Traction Control System
(ESC) Electronic Stability Control
(ABS) Antilock Brake System
(GPS) Global Positioning System
(LATCH) Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children
(MM) Mountain Mode (This mode maintains a reserve electrical charge of the high voltage battery to provide better grade climbing performance.)
(VIN) Vehicle Identification Number
(EREV) Extended Range Electric Vehicle (What the Volt is.)
(EV) Electric Vehicle
(BEV) Battery Electric Vehicle (What the Nissan Leaf is.)
(ICE) Internal Combustion Engine
(EMM) Engine Maintenance Mode (Runs the engine to keep it in good working condition after approximately six weeks of no or very limited engine operation.)
(FMM) Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM will run the engine to use up the old fuel.)
(UFRPA) Ultrasonic Front and Rear Parking Assist
(RVC) Rear Vision Camera
(EDR) Event Data Recorder
(DRL) Daytime Running Lamps

I am sure i will find more as i learn more about the Volt.

·
Registered
255 Posts
For what it's worth, alphabetized. No I don't have too much time on my hands. I let Excel do it in about ten seconds. :)

(DIC) Driver Information Center (Instrument cluster example where you see your current MPH.)
(EMM) Engine Maintenance Mode (Runs the engine to keep it in good working condition after approximately six weeks of no or very limited engine operation.)
(EV) Electric Vehicle
(MM) Mountain Mode (This mode maintains a reserve electrical charge of the high voltage battery to provide better grade climbing performance.)
(RAP) Retained Accessory Power (State the car is in when you turn it off but have not open the door yet.)
(RVC) Rear Vision Camera

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great idea. How about including CS mode and CD mode? I know one is driving EV and one is driving on gas but I haven't found what they stand for yet. This should be a link in the newcomers FAQ.

·
Registered
912 Posts
One I've seen misused or misunderstood is (PZEV) Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. I think sometimes people think the EV stands for electric vehicle in PZEV. I don't know what they think the PZ is. Of course that is different from (PHEV) Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle which is where I'm sure the confusion stems!

(CD) Charge Depleting Mode
(CS) Charge Sustaining Mode
(SOC) State Of Charge

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Wainair - thanks, that will help me remember which is which when reading posts.:D

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
One I've seen misused or misunderstood is (PZEV) Partial Zero Emission Vehicle.
This one is really a California thing I think. Usually it's AT-PZEV or Advanced Technology Zero Emission Vehicle. The only relevance this has for much of anything is that in CA it gets you an HOV lane sticker.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
(DOD) Depth of Discharge - "the amount of usable battery available to drive the car" :
http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/08/04/leaf-depth-of-discharge/

(kW) kiloWatt - unit of power - Power is the rate at which energy is generated or used

(kWh) kiloWatt hour - unit of energy - Energy is a measure of how much fuel is contained within something, or used by something over a specific period of time - Volt as 16kWh battery and uses roughly 65% or 10.5 kWh of it. http://www.energylens.com/articles/kw-and-kwh (other good articles?)

Nice analogy I found:
kWh vs kW. Compared to the water pump, kWh is the same type of measurement as gallons, which measure total volume, where as kW relates to gallons per minute, which measures a rate of flow.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Revised, with all of the above and a few more (like AER). Some gathered from this PDF www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/energystorage/pdfs/42469.pdf

(AER) All-electric range mode. The vehicle is driven with motor only (with the combustion engine off), range is the total miles driven electrically before the engine turns on for the first time.
(AT-PZEV) Advanced Technology Zero Emission Vehicle
(CD) Charge Depleting Mode. An operating mode in which the energy storage state-of-charge (SOC) may fluctuate but, on average, decreases while the vehicle is driven.
(CDH) Blended or charge-depleting hybrid mode. An operating mode in which the energy storage SOC decreases, on average, while the vehicle is driven; the engine is used occasionally to support power requests.
(CS) Charge-sustaining mode. An operating mode in which the energy storage SOC may fluctuate but, on average, is maintained at a certain level while the vehicle is driven. This is the common operating mode of commercial HEVs.
(DOD) Depth of Discharge - "the amount of usable battery available to drive the car" : http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/08/04/le...-of-discharge/
(EV) Electric Vehicle
(HEV) Hybrid Electric Vehicle (example Prius)
(kW) kiloWatt - unit of power - Power is the rate at which energy is generated or used
(kWh) kiloWatt hour - unit of energy - Energy is a measure of how much fuel is contained within something, or used by something over a specific period of time - Volt as 16kWh battery and uses roughly 65% or 10.5 kWh of it. http://www.energylens.com/articles/kw-and-kwh (kWh vs kW. Compared to the water pump, kWh is the same type of measurement as gallons, which measure total volume, where as kW relates to gallons per minute, which measures a rate of flow.other good articles?)
(PHEV) Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle. An HEV with the ability to plug-in its energy storage system to get recharged with electricity from the grid.
(PZEV) Partial Zero Emission Vehicle
(RVC) Rear Vision Camera
(SOC) State Of Charge
(ZEV) Zero-emission vehicle range. The same as AER; there are no tailpipe emissions when the vehicle is in electric vehicle mode.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Steverino -- Just noticed your stats in your signature line. 26 kWh/100 miles is very impressive. Nice going.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What does MIL stand for? Here is a sentence or two from a post by Wop On Tour that uses it:

There's no issues with the software updates themselves that I am aware of, however sometimes the dealer technician may fail to perform ALL of the neccessary "relearns" after each particular update is installed.
This usually results in an immeidate MIL (and an associated "you forgot to..." DTC) so it never leaves the dealership in this state, however sometimes things can still slip through the cracks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Ummm... AT-PZEV doesn't stand for Advanced Technology-Zero Emission Vehicle, you're missing a 'P' word there :- ) . It's Advanced Technology Partial Zero-Emissions Vehicle. And it's germane outside of California, as many states in the upper east coast adopt CA standards pretty much automatically.

You're also missing PDI, which while it comes up often I don't exactly recall the definition. Pre Delivery Inspection? Somebody help out here please!

P.S. Only California could come up with a term like "Partial Zero-Emissions Vehicle". What they heck does that mean in non-bureaucrateze? :- )

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Steverino -- Just noticed your stats in your signature line. 26 kWh/100 miles is very impressive. Nice going.
Are the 30day stats for that stable? I presumed since the MPG data I get is clearly bogus that all the data is including KWh/100 miles is probably wrong. (I don't have a meter to measure that :)

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Are the 30day stats for that stable? I presumed since the MPG data I get is clearly bogus that all the data is including KWh/100 miles is probably wrong. (I don't have a meter to measure that :)
Can we keep to the thread title. We can build on this and add it to the FAQ. Various new folks have asked for this information as Acronyms get thrown out here regularly and there are a lot of new Volt owners and more to come!!

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Updated with additions and corrections:

(AER) All-electric range mode. The vehicle is driven with motor only (with the combustion engine off), range is the total miles driven electrically before the engine turns on for the first time.
(AT-PZEV) Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (California HOV. Also many upper east coast states adopt CA standards)
(CD) Charge Depleting Mode. An operating mode in which the energy storage state-of-charge (SOC) may fluctuate but, on average, decreases while the vehicle is driven.
(CDH) Blended or charge-depleting hybrid mode. An operating mode in which the energy storage SOC decreases, on average, while the vehicle is driven; the engine is used occasionally to support power requests.
(CS) Charge-sustaining mode. An operating mode in which the energy storage SOC may fluctuate but, on average, is maintained at a certain level while the vehicle is driven. This is the common operating mode of commercial HEVs.
(DOD) Depth of Discharge - "the amount of usable battery available to drive the car" : http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/08/04/le...-of-discharge/
(EV) Electric Vehicle
(HEV) Hybrid Electric Vehicle (example Prius)
(kWh) kiloWatt hour - unit of energy - Energy is a measure of how much fuel is contained within something, or used by something over a specific period of time - Volt as 16kWh battery and uses roughly 65% or 10.5 kWh of it. http://www.energylens.co m/articles/kw-and-kwh (kWh vs kW. Compared to the water pump, kWh is the same type of measurement as gallons, which measure total volume, where as kW relates to gallons per minute, which measures a rate of flow.other good articles?)
(MIL) Malfunction Indicator Light
(PDI) Pre Delivery Inspection. PDF here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2754&d=1316287262
(PHEV) Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle. An HEV with the ability to plug-in its energy storage system to get recharged with electricity from the grid.
(PZEV) Partial Zero Emission Vehicle
(RVC) Rear Vision Camera
(SOC) State Of Charge
(TPW) Targeted/Tentative Production Week (General Motors)
(ZEV) Zero-emission vehicle range. The same as AER; there are no tailpipe emissions when the vehicle is in electric vehicle mode.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
What they heck does that mean in non-bureaucrateze? :- )
You need something to slot in above Ultra Low Emission Vehicles and Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles but below Enhanced Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicles aka Transitional Zero Emission Vehicles. Of interest to Volt buyers in CA is that TZEV or Enhanced AT-PZEV is what requires the 10 year 150K traction warranty on the battery pack and gets you a green HOV sticker.

The main purpose of all these classes is so that car manufacturers not making Zero Emission Vehicles can get some zero emission credit goodness. Manufacturers can also sell the credits (attention Tesla fans this may be part of the business plan).

·
Registered
765 Posts
How about adding
EVSE - stands for Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment - but what it is is the charging interface - not the charger because the charger is inside the car.
DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code - a fault code, usually stored in a control unit in the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts