1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
The caller's judgement about what's suspicious behavior is obviously not flawless. From what I read, seems the cops where a bit arrogant, biased and overzealous. In short they screwed up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow. That whole thing is pretty messed up.
Whatever happened to "license and registration please"

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Wow. That whole thing is pretty messed up.
Whatever happened to "license and registration please"
That's what would have happened but he got out of his car with stuff in his hands then appeared to either leave the scene or reach for his hoodie pockets.

If he stayed in the car things would have been very different.

You stay in your car when you get pulled over. Roll down the window and turn on your interior lights and keep your hands resting on the steering wheel. Things will go much better when you make the cop feel safe.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd assumed they ordered him to exit the vehicle with hands up...
I'm not blaming him, but he didn't do any favors by getting out.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They didn't give clear direction nor time to do anything. His hands were up and his body language said "what should I do now?"

Completely over-reacted.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That situation would not have happened if he had done the correct thing and stayed in the car.
Unreasonable to expect a kid to know to stay in the car. His hands were up and ready to accept direction.

They didn't give him the chance.

I've been pulled over for a felony stop... guns drawn and one officer giving direction.... they didn't give that to this kid.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Unreasonable to expect a kid to know to stay in the car. His hands were up and ready to accept direction.

They didn't give him the chance.

I've been pulled over for a felony stop... guns drawn and one officer giving direction.... they didn't give that to this kid.
It's just common sense to stay in the car. It's not unreasonable at all. How could you not know to stay in the car.

You're joking right?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not joking at all. This kid is a PHD student, and I would guess never been in trouble with the law. Common sense or you, and me....

He did what he thought was best... I know to stay in the car, and so do you, but this kid didn't know. His body language was not threating at all, and 5 guys take him to ground?

Draw a gun on him, and command him to kneel with his back toward you, cuff him and interrogate..... that would have been reasonable.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not joking at all. This kid is a PHD student, and I would guess never been in trouble with the law. Common sense or you, and me....

He did what he thought was best... I know to stay in the car, and so do you, but this kid didn't know. His body language was not threating at all, and 5 guys take him to ground?

Draw a gun on him, and command him to kneel with his back toward you, cuff him and interrogate..... that would have been reasonable.
Ever had your life in danger? Or talked to officers that have? Or anyone really? Getting out of the car is a sign of aggression. The cops only know that he possibly stole this car, possibly a criminal, criminals carry weapons. That is all they know. They don't know anything else about him.

They see a possibility armed, possible criminal get out of a possibly stolen car. They don't know if the guy has murder warrants with nothing to lose or if he is a scientist with a cure for cancer. They only know what they know and have to act based upon that information and their experiences in the past. And when they see him get out of the car, they don't know if it's an act until he can draw a weapon and if they assumed he was innocent and where wrong, there would be officers in body bags. I do not like cops, at all. But I feel that based on the information they had, and what they saw on scene, they acted appropriately.

Put yourself in their shoes, your life may end in those moments, what would you do? Would you just hope he isn't armed and see what happens? Or would you act? Think of your kids, wife, husband, siblings and other close people in your life. You want to see them again. I'd bet you'd act the same way those officers did.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
They didn't give clear direction nor time to do anything. His hands were up and his body language said "what should I do now?" Completely over-reacted.
The kid literally leaped out of the car and then turned 90 degrees around, only as he faced the police did he raise his arms, which could have easily been holding a weapon. When pulled over you are to do NOTHING, but wait for instructions, including putting down your window.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I wasn't there and didn't see video. IMHO based on what I know so far the cops owe him an apology at the very least. They have no excuse for yelling obscenities. That alone makes one question the rest of their actions. Who the ----- do they think they are?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I Always default to the cops side, but just can't here.

I see him standing next to his car, open palmed and not moving for 6 seconds..... an eternity in a situation like this.

If this was my kid, you can bet theres be an angry dad, and they charged him with resisting..... I'd have a lawyer in the hour.

Again, I always default to side of the police..... they overreacted here.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I Always default to the cops side, but just can't here.

I see him standing next to his car, open palmed and not moving for 6 seconds..... an eternity in a situation like this.

If this was my kid, you can bet theres be an angry dad, and they charged him with resisting..... I'd have a lawyer in the hour.

Again, I always default to side of the police..... they overreacted here.

You think they over reacted based upon information you have that they didn't. He had 6 seconds to do something and stood there. Also, if he had stayed in the car he wouldn't have been able to be tackled.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
cops gave the kid a nice pay day.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You think they over reacted based upon information you have that they didn't. He had 6 seconds to do something and stood there. Also, if he had stayed in the car he wouldn't have been able to be tackled.
right,,they would have blown him away and thrown a gun on the seat.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see your point, I do. Really.

I've been on the receiving end of a transaction like this.....and I've had the privilege to train with SWAT teams (it's a who you know kind of thing)

6 seconds, a actual gunfight would have been over...6 seconds to finally take him down? Should have done it immediately if anything.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts