GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was making a left turn (no stop sign) and the guy at the stop sign pulled into the intersection and hit my drivers side. All the side airbags deployed. Car has 97k miles, fully loaded 2013 with all the goodies. Car wouldn't drive, it had a couple messages one being the airbags needing service (of course). Any idea on damages?

https://ibb.co/dTRzWa

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hard to tell about damage, but, since I don't think there is any major electrical powertrain equipment in the area with the damage, you may be able to repair it if the frame isn't warped (it doesn't look like it is).

Normally you wouldn't fix up a car with 100K miles on it, but this looks to be in very good shape otherwise.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Yeah, that's what makes it a tough call - high miles. The damage isn't much but the airbag replacement could be expensive.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea on what they'll use as a value? I think I've heard of them using "fair market value", but of course there's no KBB for that. Private party is coming up as $8,844. We have GAP insurance and still owe $14k so I wouldn't mind them totaling it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That frame is probably not damaged - the rocker panel would show damage if it were. Doors, B pillar, and airbags will be needed. Since the doors are closed in the picture any internal damage to the seats and seat rails is unknown.

The real question is are you ok? (Don't answer in a public forum unless you're 100% positive as personal injury can be hidden as well.)

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
So it sounds like you hinted that you'd like a new car anyway. I too am hoping someone t-bones my car so I can legitimately go car shopping again. The insurance will likely not cover as much as you'd like - and it's always tough to get into a new car for less than what you had left in payments for the used car. Negotiate like a Ferengi, come back with more than you should. I;m thinking this is several thousand dollars, but I haven't seen prices for t-bones yet. I've got plenty of experience with damage to the front end. In both casts, about $3600

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The insurance said 100k miles is the point where value takes a big hit, I'm not sure if they'll say 97k+ is close enough though. I'm not sure on internal damages, I did have to kick the door to get it to open though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Looking at your figure for value of $8844, most insurance will consider it a financial total if damage exceeds 75% of value putting you down to about $6000~ish for damages. With the airbags, I would guess thats probably a good 1-2K alone. It's likely they could call it a total loss. Being that the other party is more than likely "at fault" it'll be up to their insurance. The damage otherwise doesn't look too significant and may actually come in below their threshold for total loss.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looks like the B-Pillar is bent. That could be a problem since that's part of the frame.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Rocker panel damage would be hidden as the rocker is just appearance and plastic..

I’d guess it’s totaled. 97k is about 100k
Exactly my point. The rocker panel is most likely intact because the plastic cover is secured to it and shows no sign of having been damaged. Yes, the clips can break off but they almost never do so without some indication on the outer layer. The B piller being damaged is very likely and unless that can be straightened or replaced without impacting the unibody then the car will be totaled.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Exactly my point. The rocker panel is most likely intact because the plastic cover is secured to it and shows no sign of having been damaged. Yes, the clips can break off but they almost never do so without some indication on the outer layer. The B piller being damaged is very likely and unless that can be straightened or replaced without impacting the unibody then the car will be totaled.
IIRC there are a couple of bolts securing the rocker cover on top at the b-pillar. Some distortion would show if the rocker moved. But it still could have pillar damage above the rocker. The front door is misaligned, suggesting that the latch may have moved.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
IIRC there are a couple of bolts securing the rocker cover on top at the b-pillar. Some distortion would show if the rocker moved. But it still could have pillar damage above the rocker. The front door is misaligned, suggesting that the latch may have moved.
Seems like the perfect opportunity to cut the Volt in half and make it into a stretch limo.... a blast from your past.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

The image shows the impact was four to six inches above the unibody frame. Both doors on that side will need to be replaced as their internal bracing has been bent. This will lead to the drivers door not latching/unlatching properly as the door itself is no longer structurally intact. What we can't tell from this picture is if the B-pillar is damaged or not. Having seen how GM assembles their cars the B-pillar can probably be replaced as it's welded to the unibody and roof. It's not actually part of the same piece of metal.

The real question here is will the insurance company be willing to pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

I'm just going to go ahead and say I think it's going to be totaled.

Maybe it's time to hear from the insurance adjuster?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They said they'll be out between now and next Monday ��

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm guessing they'll total it.

It would actually be a nice project car and worth buying the back from the insurance company at salvage price (usually $750). If I was closer to you I'd be all over it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts