GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was hit the other day at a 45 degree head on low speed. Neither door opens and there is a 1" gap at the top of the door. The window only goes down a half inch and the lock is broken. The back door is cocked. The top of the back door is out a little, the center is pressed against the body and the bottom has a normal gap. Not hard enough for airbags to deploy. I'm wondering if the center support between the doors is bent. It's a 2014 with 44K miles. I know front end collisions on these is pretty pricey but has anyone experienced minor side impacts? The other driver's insurance wants to get started asap using their approved body shops. I'm waiting for my agent to call me back which probably won't happen until Monday.

Here's a picture:
https://goo.gl/photos/tFnveCe7Yt34BrjeA

IMG_20160722_180209.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Looks like you may be lucky. Really hard to tell in pics, but it may be all sheet metal. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It doesn't look too bad, but that doesn't mean much. You have the right to have it fixed wherever you want, you do not have to use their place. If you use their shop, the insurance company will usually guarantee the repairs for life, but any good body shop will guarantee their work as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Things didn't go so well....

The B pillar and rocker were bent. After the estimate, I wanted the car towed out of there to another body shop and was told by the adjuster the work was started and they would have to stop the claim and have my insurance take over and it would be a lengthy process. The estimate came in around $4300 which I thought seemed a bit low. This body shop got decent reviews so I just stuck with them. I requested OEM parts and was told they would take too long so they are using used parts. I said you mean junked parts? No used. I guess people drive around and decide they need money and sell doors off their cars and keep driving. I was told the used doors would be from a 2014. Found out they used 2012/2013 doors. Oh well. Probably doesn't matter but thats just another lie from the adjuster.

I went to pick it up after 2 weeks and I couldn't believe they actually claimed it was done. Scratches on new paint, new scratches around d repaired doors, torn weather stripping, the doors are sunk in at the top and pulled out at the bottom as if the pillar was never fixed, scuffed up panels above the chrome trim, the chrome trim was falling off, and this was just walking up to it with minimal inspection. I had 38 EV miles on it and within a day it dropped to 5. I found out, against my advice of calling GM, they baked the car at 190F. (GM says no higher than 140). The adjuster claimed they were a certified GM body shop and they know how to handle these cars.

Now I'm pissed.

I know when I go to pick it up again, it won't be anywhere near my happy point. I demanded the car be checked at a dealer and recertified to the adjuster and got the run around again. I called the adjuster's boss and left a message but I'm sure the adjuster will get a high five for screwing me. Anyone know if I can take it elsewhere to have it done right on Geico's dime?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
They cannot start work without your authorization.

Used parts are OEM parts.

Used parts may be considered 'junked' parts, but they are still just that, used parts.
I'd assume 2012 & 2013 doors are interchangeable by the books, probably zero issues there.

Sounds like there are some issues, keep us posted. Do you have Chevy Customer Service / a Volt advisor engaged at this point? I'd call them and see what, if anything they can assist with being this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do Volt advisors still exist? I was contacted by one a couple of years ago when I got the car but now everything volt relations related appears to have dissolved.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Do Volt advisors still exist? I was contacted by one a couple of years ago when I got the car but now everything volt relations related appears to have dissolved.
In the early days they were proactive in contacting Volt owners. Now you call them if you need to.

·
Registered
500 Posts
"I had 38 EV miles on it and within a day it dropped to 5."

Do you mean that when fully charged it only gets 5 miles now instead of 38? Or that it just dropped from 38 to 5 without charging or driving it? In either case that would mean they probably damaged your battery by baking it at 190 degrees. I would insist on having a Chevrolet dealer test the battery and determine if it had been damaged by heat, and if so, don't accept the repair until the other insurance company pays for a new battery (because it was their fault it was damaged).

Maybe not every Chevrolet dealer has the equipment to perform the battery test, but some of them will. I would definitely get a Volt advisor involved, they can consult with the proper people at GM (Engineers, etc) to determine what needs to be done to test the battery health.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just dropped (no miles) which tells me either the battery got damaged or maybe the car went into a fight or flight mode to keep it cool and keep it from going into a runaway mode. That's a lot of juice to run a cooling system. If that's the case I wonder what would have happened if there wasn't any juice in the battery. I haven't accepted the car yet so I won't know until it's tested or if it will take a good charge. I'll try the advisor on Monday and see what they can do.

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
If this was my car and I could determine how to fix the doors I would want used doors in the same color. Less chance of rattles and rust later on then new door skins or a new door frame assembled by the body shop.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I feel your pain on this..... When I got my Volt back in 2012... I had it all but 3 days (less than 100 miles on the odometer) before a teenager trying to take a turn in a huge Lincoln with a failing power steering pump( he said it was cutting in and out and yet was still driving it!!!!) side swiped me.... Was $4000 in damages and your damage looks near identical to what I had (I also had the rear quarter and rim involved (minor scratches on the rim so I told them to leave it and they credited it))....see my picture below.... As far as the fix.... Where I had it done they did a fantastic job on the repair.... Can't even tell it was hit

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If you suspect the repairs were not done satisfactory, let your own insurance company know right away. Also, do not accept anything until you are satisfied with the repair. You may need to involve a lawyer if it gets out of hand.

Once you do get the car, have another body shop check the b-pillar measurements to see if they are within spec if possible.

If they started the repairs without your authorization than that is an issue too. They may have had to remove parts though to do the estimate properly so that is probably how it happened. They should have gotten your auth either way though to dismantle the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel your pain on this..... When I got my Volt back in 2012... I had it all but 3 days (less than 100 miles on the odometer) before a teenager trying to take a turn in a huge Lincoln with a failing power steering pump( he said it was cutting in and out and yet was still driving it!!!!) side swiped me.... Was $4000 in damages and your damage looks near identical to what I had (I also had the rear quarter and rim involved (minor scratches on the rim so I told them to leave it and they credited it))....see my picture below.... As far as the fix.... Where I had it done they did a fantastic job on the repair.... Can't even tell it was hit
It does almost look the same. The top of my door was pushed outward and you can stick your hand inside the car. Did yours sustain any damage to the B pillar or rocker?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you suspect the repairs were not done satisfactory, let your own insurance company know right away. Also, do not accept anything until you are satisfied with the repair. You may need to involve a lawyer if it gets out of hand.
Will do. I think I'll call my agent tomorrow.

If they started the repairs without your authorization than that is an issue too. They may have had to remove parts though to do the estimate properly so that is probably how it happened. They should have gotten your auth either way though to dismantle the car.
Agreed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It does almost look the same. The top of my door was pushed outward and you can stick your hand inside the car. Did yours sustain any damage to the B pillar or rocker?
Luckily....no.....and that was surprising because it was a fairly good hit (it was one of those cars that had a huge steel bumper).....the side airbags didn't deploy....no visual damage to rocker panel and back wheel was still in alignment....body shop told be B-pillar was okay and that the the seam between the two doors (black vinyl looking covered areas in between the windows in my pic above) looked like that because the top of the drivers door was forced outward a little bit from the lower impact area.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts