GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Early September 2018 I was in an accident where the other driver pulled out of a gas station driveway and headed right into an intersection. She was heading east on a westbound one-way street exposing her passenger side directly into northbound oncoming traffic (me). It was immediate. There was no time to react. My 2012 Volt t-boned her 2000 Accord, smashing into her passenger side at about 35 mph. Her car spun completely around and came to rest facing west. The side of her car was bashed in pretty badly. Thankfully nobody was hurt. The Volt was pretty much like a bulldozer in the wreck, bashing her car out of the way and coming to a stop just past the intersection. The Volt would not start and went away on the back of a tow truck. The other driver had no insurance. Thankfully I have uninsured motorist coverage as well as towing and rental car.

So...I've been without my car for 3 weeks and am anxious to get it back. They said it should be finished in the next few days. Meanwhile my rental is a 2018 RAV4. It's OK but nothing like the Volt. I've spent more money on gasoline in this past 3 weeks than I have over the last 3 years!

I've attached the repair bill after deleting the personal detail stuff. So here is what repairing a wrecked 2012 Chevy Volt looks like.

View attachment Volt wreck Nixon estimate 092518 2b.pdf

·
Administrator
20,183 Posts
Glad you (and hopefully the other driver) are OK.

$8800 is cheaper than a newer 2018. Just a new radiator can be $1200 which, apparently was one thing on your car NOT damaged. But your A/C radiator (aka condenser) was damaged? That seems odd as it sits behind the battery coolant radiator (at least in Gen 1).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an answer about the radiator not being damaged. I got the car back this past Friday and they did a GREAT job. It feels like a new car and after having a RAV4 to drive for 3 weeks, driving the Volt again has me appreciating it more than ever. The replacement front spoiler they put on is the shorter one so that should cut down on scraping when I enter parking lots. I put my replacement Volt Screen on and am back in business!
The other driver, as I understand it, is fine but the passenger-she was the one sitting on the side that got hit-had some issues. My insurance company told me that they called and asked about getting my insurance to pay for her medical bill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts