GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting in a while, since I first took delivery of the car. Sorry for the wall of text, but trying to supply all details.

This past Friday, June 17 at about 2:45, I was turning left on a green light at a busy intersection in Los Angeles (National and Overland, right off of the 10 freeway). The outside 2 lanes are designated for turning right, the inside 2 lanes for turning left, and the middle for going straight only. I was in the inside right turn lane with an armored truck in the middle (straight) lane. As I'm making the turn i notice the truck cutting into my lane, I try honking the horn, but to no avail. The truck slams up against my drivers side door and just kept going. As I'm collecting my self, I come to a complete stop and see he ripped off my whole side mirror. As I'm freaking out, as this is my first accident EVER, I notice he hasn't even attempted to stop. I immediately chase him with my horn held trying to get his attention not knowing if he didn't know he hit me, or was trying to get away. After we cross the whole freeway, and get about 3 blocks away, he finally puts his hazards on and stops on the side of the road.

By this time, I realized the car wasn't driving right, the steering was messed up, and was pulling to the right. I get out and there are two passengers, and I let the guy know that he was at fault, he was turning from a non turn lane, but of course he denied it saying he was in a turn lane. (Even if this was true, he still cut across and completely into my lane.) This guy seems frantic, probably freaking out about having an accident in his company truck and just wants to exchange info as quickly as possible. I give him my insurance and he takes a picture of my vin, (I have no license plates), and he doesn't even ask for my name or license. I ask him for his registration (he had not plates either), his license, and registration. This is when it starts to go downhill, he refuses to give a name, his license, and said he was only showing me registration, and what he said was insurance (later when the police showed up, he informed me he didn't even show me insurance). After still not giving me full information, he tells me he is leaving, and I let him know immediately I will call 911 to report a hit and run if he leaves. He says his dispatcher told him to hurry up because "they have valuables and are on a schedule" (He was a complete asshole), and left.

After he is gone, the police eventually show up after about an hour (busy day). Very nice officer by the way, said he drove a 2014 Volt, and asked me a couple questions about the 2016+ models. I show him all my necessary info, and he pulls up a satellite image of the intersection and reaffirms that I was in the right. Before leaving the scene, I was getting an error, charge cord connected, when no cord was connected. I had to turn the car off and on, and jam the charge door, what was left, back in place. Car is still pulling, and not driving "right". Day goes on and I'm a little bit sore, nothing major, all were okay. The next morning, with a clear head I head outside to asses the damage with a clear head, and also take some clear pics. The damage is a lot worse than I thought the day before. The drivers door, whole mirror, mirror housing, drivers side fender, bumper, charge door and housing, hood, headlight, and parking sensor all have some form of damage. To top it all off when I went to charge the car, the car wouldn't charge at first (had to plug, unplug, turn car on, turn car off), but eventually after much trial and error, it worked. The charge connector is not lining up right. The collision avoidance features are acting wonky, and there is visible panel gap between door and frame where noise, and wind gush through.

I am going to get a few estimates from the top 3 rated Yelp body shops in Santa Monica before IMG_0496.jpg IMG_0497.jpg IMG_0499.jpg IMG_0502.JPG IMG_0498.jpg my adjuster comes. I have attached pictures to show damage. PLEASE! ANY HELP, SUGGUESTIONS, INFO WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts
Help how? What's the question?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Help how? What's the question?
X2

Call your insurance company and file a claim - hopefully you have a case number from the police to reference (if not an actual report showing you not at fault). Assuming you have his information (not clear from what you posted), give that to your insurance company and they will go after his insurance company. As for you - hire an accident attorney to ensure that your medical issues are covered and you'll also get a bit more on the side.

I say all this because I *have* been in accidents before (I honestly stopped counting at close to 20 and no - I was not at fault in any of them), I've been through this process numerous times, and I was in law enforcement for 20 years ;)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Most annoying accident I had was when I sold a car to a dealer and they hit/run causing nasty calls from police and lawyers. Since I had a bill of sale all problems went away. A hand-written piece of paper saved my arse. This was actually my first accident!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I agree that the first thing would be to talk to your insurance company. Likely this is more than replacing a mirror. If you have pics I doubt there are an infinite number of armored cars running around at any given time in any given area, even in LA.

This was actually my first accident!
Except it wasn't YOUR accident. LOL

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
641 Posts
I would insist that all repairs be done by your Volt dealer. Any body shop can do the body repairs but would you trust them to make sure the Voltec drive system, battery system, sensors are all working OK?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just help with picking a bodyshop, and making sure I can point out all possible malfunctioning electronics to insurance/bodyshop that I may overlook.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would insist that all repairs be done by your Volt dealer. Any body shop can do the body repairs but would you trust them to make sure the Voltec drive system, battery system, sensors are all working OK?
sounds good. I'll try but I'm not sure if they have bodywork capabilities (I think they outsource), but I'll call tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
sounds good. I'll try but I'm not sure if they have bodywork capabilities (I think they outsource), but I'll call tomorrow.
They might have someone they trust and work with. It's worth checking. Body shop that fixed mine was affiliated with the dealership I purchased from.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
This is great advice. Only a Chevy dealer should do this repair. The Volt is the ONLY car I would recommend that for :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
First time posting in a while, since I first took delivery of the car. Sorry for the wall of text, but trying to supply all details.

This past Friday, June 17 at about 2:45, I was turning left on a green light at a busy intersection in Los Angeles (National and Overland, right off of the 10 freeway). The outside 2 lanes are designated for turning right, the inside 2 lanes for turning left, and the middle for going straight only. I was in the inside right turn lane with an armored truck in the middle (straight) lane. As I'm making the turn i notice the truck cutting into my lane, I try honking the horn, but to no avail. The truck slams up against my drivers side door and just kept going. As I'm collecting my self, I come to a complete stop and see he ripped off my whole side mirror. As I'm freaking out, as this is my first accident EVER, I notice he hasn't even attempted to stop. I immediately chase him with my horn held trying to get his attention not knowing if he didn't know he hit me, or was trying to get away. After we cross the whole freeway, and get about 3 blocks away, he finally puts his hazards on and stops on the side of the road.
I’m going to preface my advice by saying I worked as a liability adjustor for years and this is my expert advice;)
Before providing a recorded statement to your insurance company or theirs make sure you are 100% certain of everything, including the layout of the intersection. The first thing a liability adjustor (not to be confused with the appraiser who will come inspect your vehicle) will do is pull up a Google maps view of the intersection to get a perspective. I did this, and I’m guessing you were traveling westbound on National Blvd attempting to make a right turn onto Overland Ave. In which case, there are two right turn only lanes, one for traveling straight through and one left turn only lane, not two left turn only lanes as you mentioned. Knowing exactly how many lanes there are, the designation for each, which direction you were traveling (west) and which lane you were in is very important to give yourself credibility in a case like this. Being able to say you travel this route regularly or have made this turn every day for X number of years, will also lend credibility (assuming it’s true, I’d never ask you to lie).
I would check with the Mobil at the corner or any of the other businesses to see if they have cameras that may have caught it and if they could provide the footage to you, either on a disk or if you can just record it to your cell phone. The police won’t do this; your insurance company won’t do this (actually, if the officer is a really good guy, he might be willing to, but only once he hears that the adverse insurance company is denying your claim and by this time, it will be too late, the footage will be gone). This is almost certainly going to be a case of word vs. word and you’ll just be responsible for your own damages. With any luck, while providing a recorded statement, the other driver will not be familiar with the intersection and will not be able to provide the designation of each lane or which lane he was in. He may also say he never noticed you, which would not help his cause.
The police report is only one part of an insurance company’s liability investigation. The police report will only provide your version and the officer’s opinion based on your statement. His insurance company will tell you that the officer was not there to witness the accident, therefore the report is useless, and essentially, they’re right. Police officers and reports do not decide who’s at fault, insurance companies do.
Some other questions I would be prepared to answer in a recorded statement are, how far into your turn were you when you first noticed the other vehicle coming into your lane (30%?, 50%?); what evasive actions did you take to try to avoid the collision (braked, swerved, honked; say you did all three, as you have a duty to try to attempt to avoid); what was your speed at the time (less than 10mph); what is the speed limit at that intersection...

Regarding your car. Don’t waste your time getting quotes. An appraiser will inspect your vehicle and give you the appraisal for whatever body shop you choose to work from. If the shop disagrees with anything in the appraisal, they’ll call the appraiser and it will be worked out. If your regular dealer doesn’t have a body shop, there has to be one nearby that does. Ask the appraiser, they know every body shop in the area better than anyone else does and will be able to recommend a good shop.

Let us know how you make out, I'm happy to answer any questions, as this is the one area I do know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I was just re-reading this. You first say you were making a left turn, but later say you were in the inside right turn lane. It seems you were making a right turn, but just don't make these kinds of mistakes when providing a statement. You'll sound like you don't know what you were doing. And, as mentioned below, this is why everyone should have a dash cam.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I'm sorry for your situation; never a good one when the other driver shirks his responsibility.

Having said that, this is a classic example of why having a dash cam mounted and recording is a very worthwhile investment. I have one in my 2014 that I bought from Amazon for about $70. I hope never to have to use its video, but if it comes to pass, I can roll the "video tape at 11". 8^)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello .........Your already getting good advice. Sorry for the stress out.
I just noticed the below and wondered about what are the probabilities that two cars without plates will be in a accident?? Very very slim. Good thing the cop did not give a ticket

Quote frm OP
s guy seems frantic, probably freaking out about having an accident in his company truck and just wants to exchange info as quickly as possible. I give him my insurance and he takes a picture of my vin, (I have no license plates), and he doesn't even ask for my name or license. I ask him for his registration (he had not plates either), his license, and registration. This is when it sta

·
Registered
974 Posts
Make sure your onstar app is setup and working before your car goes in for repair. I watched mine on the onstar map and saw it move from on dealer to their other collision center and back. As well as getting car status while they have it you will also know if and when the pull the power to the 12v or traction battery. I knew when my car was ready before they called me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts