GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Accessory power outlets only work if the car is turned on, or for 10 minutes after it's turn off. I want charge my cell phone while it's parked, but obviously I don't want to leave the car on. Is there a work-around for this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
One option would be to keep a portable power bank in the center console with its input plugged into your car charger. It'll charge anytime the car is on. Then, plug your phone into that to charge while the car is off. You could do some work to put in an always-on accessory outlet, but the power bank will probably be the same price, simpler, and not be a permanent modification.

·
Administrator
20,203 Posts
Accessory power outlets only work if the car is turned on, or for 10 minutes after it's turn off. I want charge my cell phone while it's parked, but obviously I don't want to leave the car on. Is there a work-around for this?
Charge the phone while driving? At night while sleeping? At the office?

I think there are some always hot areas in the fuse panel that some use for dash cams. Some who do that may comment on this, or you can look in the Similar Threads area below, or search dash cam.

For Gen 2 Volts the yellow wire in this image is reportedly connected to an always powered location:

Accessory power - always on, Gen 2.jpg
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...rdwiring-radar-detector&p=3468265#post3468265

Apparently there are fuse block locations in the Gen 1 Volt's rear cargo bay driver's side wall that are always on as well.

Keep in mind, anything that stays powered on while the car is off will slowly drain the 12V battery. If I had my choice between a dead phone or a dead Volt, I know which I'd choose.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also looking for this, although I've done some tricky wiring around the rear fuse area, and have a permanent connection for a rear collision / car park camera, it would be better to have an always on supply for the front, too.

I'm of the opinion that 150 milliamps odd isn't enough to stretch the AGM battery, which is 'managed' whenever the car is on, or charging itself.

Watching with interest.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The easiest solution for charging a phone when you are away from the car is to just leave the car turned on and locked with the headlights turned off. The car will maintain the 12V battery and then turn itself off after a delay which I think is roughly 2.5 hours. With at least minimal traction battery charge, the engine should not run during this time.

But the previous recommendation for using a portable charger is really the best idea. In that case, you could even bring the phone with you while it charges, which would be better in terms of protecting the phone from extreme temperatures in a parked car, maintaining your access to the phone, and also to remove a lure for someone to break into your car. I recently bought a pretty good one for only $12.

I think messing with the car's electrical system is just asking for trouble. Best to leave it alone.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you have enough daylight parking, you could use one of those little solar panel chargers left on the dash?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The OBDII port and the Aux port (passenger side) pin 16 I understand to be powered all the time. Could make an adapter for OBDII plug to phone charger adapter if you don't want to change the car wiring.

I'm of the opinion that 150 milliamps odd isn't enough to stretch the AGM battery, which is 'managed' whenever the car is on, or charging itself.
150 milliamps over a few days will flatten a typical battery. Been there done that. Few hours at work probably would be ok on a newish battery.

Thaniel

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
nedfunnell-- aux small battery phone charger is the easy way

A super capacitor power bank charger should be available if you don't want a normal battery pack being connected to power in you car.

Ie cheap Li-Ion and Polymer batteries & packs may cause fire

I need to get back to my shake phone charger project

----
As a Ham - I am all for running wires direct to the battery but best to fuse both leads with the correct size fastblow.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The main issue you have to realize is that the car does not use the traction battery for accessory power. It's just like a regular ICE car in that the 12v battery is the only thing you have access to. If you think it would be a good idea to put a drain on your ICE car battery, then you can rig something up. But it's not like you have 14 kwh available for use.

For less than 10 bucks you can buy a small portable battery pack that will recharge your phone several times over.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FWIW...

The owner's manual for my 2014, page 9-17, under "STOPPING THE VEHICLE/OFF" has the following sentence.

"When turning off the vehicle, if the vehicle is not in P(Park), the vehicle will go to ACC / ACCESSORY and display the message SHIFT TO PARK in the Driver Information Console (DIC)."

Based upon very limited testing, it seems this is a distinct mode separate from the 10 minute 'Retained Accessory Power'.
1) Radio and power points stay on longer than 10 minutes.
2) Opening the driver door does not shut everything off.

It seems similar to the 'Service Only Mode' (5 sec Power button press), but I have not exhaustively explored to see if there are any differences in active/inactive circuits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts