GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy but It seems I use about .2 KWH less for my 15 mile commute to work if I don't use the radio and have the lights shut during the daytime. I've replicated it several times. I know with lights and radio on if it's 50 F out in the morning I'll use 2.8 KWH for 15 miles and if it's 60 F I'll use 2.7 KWH. With radio and lights off safely I use 2.5 or 2.6 KWH. Does anyone have the actual load wattage? Note, I do play the radio loud so that may be it.... .2 KWH or almost a mile seems like a lot.

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
569 Posts
i dont think the radio is the watt guzler here, daytime running lights do use a few watts as from memory, the volt still has tungsten lights. Of curse if the volt were using led, then the radio would be the guilty part but my guess here is the lights are using 1.5 kw out of those 2kw. You should try running the car without the radio for a test, the result might suprise you.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
With radio and lights off safely I use 2.5 or 2.6 KWH. Does anyone have the actual load wattage? Note, I do play the radio loud so that may be it.... .2 KWH or almost a mile seems like a lot.
I've yet to detect a load from the radio, even played loud (this *will* depend on which radio you have). But the DRLs take sizable current. I've been looking at the main battery draw though, and it's almost in the noise there (but not quite).

The thing to do is have somebody with a DashDAQ characterize the wattage draw from the APM. The DD'll measure APM output current and volts, and that'll do it. I'm working to evaluate some mods DrewTech has put in for CS mode, and won't be able to check APM loading for several days (I've got some other things keeping me busy too).

There's at least two others of 'em out there, and you don't need the beta mods to do this eval. So can somebody measure up (or send me a PM for help on how to)?

·
Registered
977 Posts
For those hastily ready to turn off the daytime running lights every time they drive away, remember that pedestrians already don't hear you; consider what tragedy can occur if a person (a kid?) doesn't realize your car is moving and not parked. I know, you can say you will watch out for them, but people sometimes do unexpected things before there's time to react.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts