GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my fully loaded Volt in May through the build your own Volt site, which is where my dealer told me to go to pick all the features I wanted. Well, I just picked the car up and everything that is no longer standard for 2012 was dropped from the order without any notification.

Since the build your volt site still has not been updated, there seems to be no way to get any of the accessories built on at the factory at this point, unless dealers know how to add them to the order before it is placed (mine didn't).

I am still trying to get the features that I ordered and expected to be on the car, but am waiting on the dealer to see what they can do about it.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I ordered my fully loaded Volt in May through the build your own Volt site, which is where my dealer told me to go to pick all the features I wanted. Well, I just picked the car up and everything that is no longer standard for 2012 was dropped from the order without any notification.

Since the build your volt site still has not been updated, there seems to be no way to get any of the accessories built on at the factory at this point, unless dealers know how to add them to the order before it is placed (mine didn't).

I am still trying to get the features that I ordered and expected to be on the car, but am waiting on the dealer to see what they can do about it.
This is your dealers fault, not yours so dont take the car and look for another using the volt advisors to locate one for you already built.
My order was originally a 2011 but allocations were gone and it was then converted to a 2012. When the Allocation was given to the dealer he called me and asked me what options I wanted, he then used the allocation to fulfill the order.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
You have a problem if you took possession of the car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think you meant "options", not "accessories". Is there anything missing on the car besides the navigation system + Bose speakers? Nothing else was standard on 2011 that was dropped as std on the 2012, except for 2 years of OnStar (3 free years instead of 5).

If you signed the paperwork and drove it home, you may not have any legal recourse, though you could probably persuade the dealer to throw you some compensation for screwing up, and a real stand-up dealer would take the car back & re-order properly though you'd have waiting to do. If all you are missing is the nav + speakers, IMO you came out ahead! It's overpriced at $2500 anyway. You can get a $250 near top of the line Garmin, spend $750 finding some speaker + subwoofer upgrade from some car audio shop, have nearly $1500 left over. For the hard drive audio, just use an old ipod, or buy a cheap one off of eBay, all you miss is the radio pause/record buffer option. The nav + speakers would be better in many ways than the factory stuff! The only downside is it looks a little more tacky than built-in while you are using the GPS, but if you are like most people, this probably only is a handful of times per year anyway. Don't forget you also have the turn-by-turn voice/turn arrow only GPS via the OnStar for the first 3 years (no map display), for free (I wouldn't pay after the 3 years, rather buy a portable GPS).

It'd be more problematic if other options you wanted like leather + backup camera were missing. But IMO no nav is better!

·
Registered
890 Posts
What options were missing that you wanted? I agree with stephent. I had already decided that I did not want the built-in navigation and the Bose system. Leaving it off would be just my cup of tea. I had the full navigation in my last car and it wasn't worth the extra cost ($1900)! I will not make that "mistake" again.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I agree with everyone else here. The dealer should have figured this out. But what you do does depend on the options. The NAV is not such a big deal with turn-by-turn OnStar. But I'd walk in a heartbeat if the car didn't have the leather seats.

N Riley -- If you get the car the backup camera is worth it. It's great being able to see everything when backing out of parking spaces.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Those of you that say the upgraded speakers (which also includes subwoofer and amplifier) aren't worth it, have you heard the stereo in a stock 2012? I know many people couldn't care less, but to me, it was well worth getting the Bose upgrade. It sounds much better than the base system, especially at mid-to-high volumes.

I agree on the Nav though. I ordered just the Bose upgrade on its own.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
As for what options are worth the money, I got all the options other than the wheels and I'd do the same for the 2012 MY. But I bought the car. If I were leasing then I'd skip every option with the possible exception of the rear view camera, and that only because it's a safety option.

A lease is a long term rental, and there is no point in buying the next owner a bunch of nice options.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As for what options are worth the money, I got all the options other than the wheels and I'd do the same for the 2012 MY. But I bought the car. If I were leasing then I'd skip every option with the possible exception of the rear view camera, and that only because it's a safety option.

A lease is a long term rental, and there is no point in buying the next owner a bunch of nice options.
True to a certain extent...but remember that when optional equipment is part of the lease, it gets "residualized" as well. So 44% of the cost of the options (not 100%) becomes a part of the monthly lease amount. Over a 3 year period, something like leather seats only adds $15 or so dollars to the monthly payment. For $15 bucks a month, I'll sit on nice leather seats - thankyou.

Stuart #2209

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
True to a certain extent...but remember that when optional equipment is part of the lease, it gets "residualized" as well. So 44% of the cost of the options (not 100%) becomes a part of the monthly lease amount. Over a 3 year period, something like leather seats only adds $15 or so dollars to the monthly payment. For $15 bucks a month, I'll sit on nice leather seats - thankyou.
Do we know how options are "residualized"? Are they really calculated at the same residual value? That hasn't been what I've seen for the Volt leases. What I've seen is that they want a zero residual. Obviously that isn't right, it's just a way for the dealer to get some more profit at your expense, but the same residual percentage as the car would seem to overstate the residual. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
500 Posts
At least in Canada, the residual value is calculated on the price of the car after options, so you're not paying the full option price over the short lease period. Doing it any other way is shady at best, and possibly illegal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts