GM Volt Forum banner

Acceptable temperature ranges for different systems.

630 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jbakerjonathan 
#1 ·
Is there a documented list of acceptable temperature maximums for the Gen1 volt?

Engine coolant and oil temperatures are almost certainly the same as any other ICE so I’m good there, the ICE isn’t that much different than any other car aside from what it’s hooked up to.

More curious about other systems such as the 4ET50 and the electronics cooling circuit, both of which can be observed via OBD.

Running with traditional transmission temperatures as guidelines even though the 4ET50 uses traditional Dexron fluid doesn’t really translate as the transmission really is an entirely different beast.

In depth engineering info like this seems really scarce online.

Thanks for everyone’s insight.

#2 ·
I hate to see posts go unanswered, so, I'll at least check that box, although I don't have the answer to your question. The MyGreenVolt app may have color changing displays for battery, transmission, electronics and engine when any of them are outside the safe range for that system. I do know that the battery display DOES do that (it showed red instead of green on one occasion). I haven't been in really hot environments to experience the possibility of either engine, transmission or electronic systems exceeding their safe upper limits. I'm assuming that the app has that capability for those systems, too.

#3 ·
Yeah, I know it’s a tough question as it does really get down to the nitty gritty details that I’m not sure were ever asked or answered by the engineers during the early days of the Gen1 when the engineers and such were actually amongst us.

But hopefully I’ll be able to dig it up. 😉

#4 ·
Yeah, I know it’s a tough question as it does really get down to the nitty gritty details that I’m not sure were ever asked or answered by the engineers during the early days of the Gen1 when the engineers and such were actually amongst us.

But hopefully I’ll be able to dig it up. 😉
If you are successful in your search, would you kindly post your results here? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.