GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In January I'll be trading in my 2014 Volt (or it might show up for sale in here) for a new 2017, I went to a stealership for a test drive as I really wanted to try out the ACC. We set the following distance in the parking lot, then got out on the freeway, set the cruise, and waited nervously as we creeped up on the car in front of us. We waited, and waited, and waited until pucker factor 8 and then braked. We pressed the button that looked like a car getting rear ended (brilliant) to ensure that the distance was set at the longest option and retried the test with same results. Did we just happen to get Volt with a busted ACC, or is there something else you have to do to get this to work? The salesman was of little help. I'm sure I sound like an idiot asking, "how do you use the cruise control?", but I looked at the owner's manual online when I got home and it seems like we followed the instructions.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I don't have a Volt. I have an ELR. Are you sure ACC was set? Not sure how it works on the Volt but on the ELR you get messages on the DIC. Some members have reported issues with the ACC but I've never personally experienced any. Always works fine. My wife didn't trust the technology and kept braking, which disables the ACC, until she figured it out. Now she uses it without any issues.

A freeway is a good place to try ACC since at freeway speeds you end up with a good following distance. If you try again, get behind a truck, preferably before it starts going up a hill. Set ACC for the same speed or slightly above its speed and see what happens. Should slow you down very smoothly. The deceleration can be so subtle you don't recognize that you've slowed down a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I had the same thing happen to me. I asked if they had a new Volt I could test drive with Adaptive CC and they said "yes!" and gave me the keys. When I was out and about and turned on the CC it didn't slow down behind a car. I drove back to the dealer and parked it. I looked at the window sticker and it said "cruise control". I asked again about Adaptive and they said yes. But I when I asked them to show me the word "Adaptive" on any of the window stickers on their lot they were unable to. It really has to say Adaptive Cruise Control (it costs extra) and they are just arriving. Many dealers don't have them yet.

Most of the sales people don't know how it works. If you ask them if the gen2 Volt with ACC "auto brakes to a full stop" most of them will say no. I demo'd the feature myself to at least four different salesmen and they were all amazed. They don't know about the "press the resume button to resume from a full stop" feature either.

Glad you didn't crash.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Hell I bought one 3 days ago and I'm not sure mine is working see my earlier post. So maybe they shouldn't have sold it to me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If the sticker does not include the item "Adaptive Cruise Control with Full Speed Front Automatic Braking" in the Options & Pricing section of the sticker at a cost of $495, then the car does not include ACC. Driver Confidence Packages 1 and 2 must also be listed as prerequisites to order ACC at $495 each.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the sticker and it definitely had the ACC on there, and it definitely wasn't working.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I checked the sticker and it definitely had the ACC on there, and it definitely wasn't working.
Just to confirm things.
Did the CC work? That is, did it maintain a set speed for you?
As far as I can tell on my Volt, if you have CC on, it is ACC. There is no CC by itself.
On the other hand FAB and associated stuff can be turned off in the menus.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just to confirm things.
Did the CC work? That is, did it maintain a set speed for you?
As far as I can tell on my Volt, if you have CC on, it is ACC. There is no CC by itself.
On the other hand FAB and associated stuff can be turned off in the menus.
Are you sure about that? CC and ACC are two different functions. CC is a standard feature per page 194 of the Owner Manual (there is no "if equipped" caveat). Adaptive Cruise Control on page 196 has the "if equipped" caveat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As far as I can tell from the car and the manual, if one has ACC one does not have the option of running CC without the Adaptive function.

From the ACC section of the manual:
"If equipped with Adaptive Cruise
Control (ACC), it allows you to
select the cruise control set speed
and following gap. Read this entire
section before using this system.
The following gap is the following
time between your vehicle and a
vehicle detected directly ahead in
your path moving in the same
direction. If no vehicle is detected in
your path, ACC works like regular
cruise control. ACC uses camera
and radar sensors."

This paragraph implies that ACC is the replacement for regular cruise control and functions like it unless a vehicle is detected ahead, which seems to be the case as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Volt I am getting is being repaired by the dealer. In their final safety check they found a bad yaw sensor. They told me it had to do with the AAC. Perhaps there is a sensor issue?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Is it detecting a leading car? (The icon is lit. ) A parking lot is not a good environment to set or test ACC. Need to be above 13mph for it to set.

Test it on a highway above 50mph.

Sounds like the car has regular cruise no matter what the window sticker says. Try driving an Impala with ACC to see how it is supposed to work.

Might be helpful to get a sales guy that has actually used ACC.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The Volt I am getting is being repaired by the dealer. In their final safety check they found a bad yaw sensor. They told me it had to do with the AAC. Perhaps there is a sensor issue?
Yaw? Really? Is this the flying Volt version?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yaw? Really? Is this the flying Volt version?
Honestly, I am just saying what the manager told me. I have never driven that specific Volt. They went and got it from another dealer for me. They said that before they sell any car they give it a final inspection. I did go and look at the car. They had part of the dash and center console taken apart. I saw wires and things that looked like they might be sensor modules. If they do have a flying volt version, it would definitely shorten my commute.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Volts with ACC have a different grill. It will look like the Chev Bowtie is a separate piece, whereas the Volts without ACC are all one. ACC equipped will look like this:

Vs. one without:

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Great idea to just check the Bowtie if you have any questions. Since the radar has to see the road ahead, if the car has ACC the Bowtie is just paint. As mentioned, the DIC will also TELL YOU if ACC is set.

It's not credible that ACC doesn't work. It works. If it doesn't work there is something wrong somewhere. My guess is that people aren't setting the ACC or they are getting nervous and hitting the brake a bit too soon, which disengages ACC.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did the back of the vehicle you were following look like this?

If so, that may explain the lack of functionality.

ACC is highly consistent and just plain works. If it didn't function, it was either not on the car (my guess) or broken. The grill design will be the best way to tell.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Then why would there be separate indicators for each? (See manual page 117.) I am just trying to understand not dispute.
The indicators are not totally separate. The ACC being "active" is indicated by an additional car icon on the CC symbol.
And remember this is a manual for cars with and those without ACC. It doesn't say that the cars have both.

There are several sorts of useful information about following distance, detecting vehicle ahead, etc that are presented on the display depending upon the screen selected. However, in actually driving the car one has to look away from the road to see these things which greatly reduces their usefulness. The whole system would be much more informative for the driver if it were a HUD display.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2017 Premier with ACC and 99% of the time it has worked great. Once or twice, though, it has acted as though it didn't detect the car in front of me and I found it prudent to apply the brakes manually! I am attaching a picture if my display when ACC is activated. You will see to the top left a symbol for ACC lit, and to its right will be the speed that is set, in this case 64. Moving farther right is is three two or one small blocks indicating the interval set, in this case, 3 indicated the largest interval, and a small green or amber car, only if the car ahead of you is bring tracked. (I am hoping to be alert enough to check and see if the car is in fact indicated, the next time I feel it necessary to brake manually.). And finally, if you have lane assist on and it is functioning, you will see another small car between lines that indicate the sides of the lane. Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts