GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is why GM, along with every other auto maker, explicitly states in their owners manual that these aids are not to be depended upon for safe driving. It's to prevent the injured party from going after the deep pockets of the auto maker vs. the shallow pockets of the driver of the other vehicle.
The particular warning in question states that ACC is not designed for use in stop and go traffic. That's not a legal CYA (though I'm sure it could be used in that way). They are explicitly stating it was not designed for that purpose so don't use it for that purpose. ACC was not intended to be an aid to avoid collisions (that would be "Forward Automatic Braking", which does have a legal CYA).

Regardless ACC was not designed for stop and go traffic and therefore should not be used in stop and go traffic. The fact so many insist on doing so (and justifying it with "that's just a legal CYA") illustrates the problem with these drivers "aids".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally, I prefer regular CC. I've used it for so many years that it's second nature to me. I use the Accelerate/Resume buttons to control speed when in traffic near highway speeds. And in stop and go traffic, I shift to L. Our Niro PHEV has ACC and it doesn't slow/accelerate when I want it to, especially when changing lanes. I guess I'm a control freak!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I ordered my 2017 Volt with ACC and it was one of the first ones produced. I love it! It takes the stress out of driving, especially on long trips. I use it in city traffic, but I learned to brake manually, such as when coming to a light behind stopped traffic. ACC is quite capable of stopping, but at a much more aggressive rate than my driving style. My 2011 Volt never needed brake pads through 170,000 miles, but I was shocked when the 2017 needed pads at about 40k or 50k miles. Sadly, ACC was not available on my 2017 Bolt EV. Maybe someday I will trade it for a Bolt with Super Cruise. The Volt is a keeper for long trips, at least until there is adequate infrastructure and DC fast charge times are short enough that it would make such trips practical in a Bolt EV.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts