GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2nd post
I've been driving Prius for years (second one in fact 200k mi). I've been very happy w/ them (reliable as heck and still drive like new after 100's of thousands of miles).
I recently returned from a holiday trip to Seattle for X-mas & new year. While there, I drove my father's new Prius AWD XLE w/ the ACC and was hugely impressed. Seattle traffic is getting to be almost (pre-COVID-19) as bad as it is here in Los Angeles.
I came back to So. Cal (L.A.) on New Years day; the very next day my daughter was involved in an accident. Her Subaru is a "total loss" (excellent safety features, essentially saved her life). Now I'm considering a Volt because the effective "EV" range is just enough to get me to work and back. I'm going to "hand me down" my Prius (been paid off for years) to her. She's not working now due to COVID-19 and has no way to afford a new vehicle. I would buy a "Prius Prime" but, it doesn't have the "EV" range of the Volt.
I've looked (online) at 50+ vehicles here in the "L.A." area and about 1/2 of the Volt Premiers are listed as having the "ACC" but sadly, most do not. It appears to me that only about 5% of the ones listed have it and most just "don't understand the difference".
You really have to consider the type of driving you intend on using your Volt for. If you sit in Los Angeles traffic (like me) on a daily basis: ACC is for you, for sure ! Even if you just drive in Southern California, you know how the traffic has an ebb & flow: ECC is for you ! If you live in some area w/ little to no traffic, and you just make occasional trips to the grocery; you might want to skip it.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear about your daughter’s subaru total as well as your owning Prii for years. My volt doesn’t have ACC, but I’ve driven enough rental cars with them that I’m pretty certain you would regret not getting ACC. That said, where I live (eastern rural Illinois) I don’t really need it at all as in my prior commute I could be asleep at the wheel and not hit anybody, but you almost absolutely need it in Cali.

Just curious, what kind of Subaru was totalled? My daughter has a red Crosstrek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you (IIninja) when I get a little higher post count I'll post some photo's of my daughters Subaru (frighting) & thank you for the kind words!
I don't know that there is a huge interest in the "ACC" feature for the Volt but, I figured I'd start a discussion on weather it is worth it for individuals or not, for their needs based on purchasing used Volt's / looking for used Volt's that have it / vs not even bothering w/ worrying about it.
To me: it was the second biggest feature other than having a Cal. "HOV" sticker on the vehicle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought a used 2011 in 2014, drove it for 5 years with plans to eventually get a GEN 2. In 2017 we bought a vehicle with ACC. After using the ACC in that vehicle, it made my move to the GEN 2 MUCH sooner just to get one with that feature. Bought my 2018 in 2019 exactly 5 years after my 2011, which is still in the family nearing 150,000 miles. ACC is certainly a MUST have for any vehicle I may have in the future.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I drove a Tahoe a few years ago with ACC and swore my next car would have it. That experience is why I won't buy a Bolt, maybe future iterations will be better

·
Registered
79 Posts
ACC in additions to being a boon for stop and go traffic, IMHO, it’s a true stress reliever for long-distance driving too, if you can get over the “I’ve got to go faster than everyone else”-impulses.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why not wait just a bit longer, and opt for the next iteration of ACC...GM's Super Cruise. This advanced autonomous driving aid apparently surpasses Tesla's autopilot in many ways. Super Cruise will be available on the next Bolt EV / EUV available Sept 2021. Many passed on a Bolt for lack of ACC. Super Cruise has been around for years, GM has been polishing it up and perhaps holding its release back to implement it on EV's only. Great way to move buyers into their EV offerings, just for that feature.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I have a mixed opinion of ACC. My Volt doesn't have it; my wife's Clarity has it. There are times when I like it but there are other times where I can't stand it.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Why not wait just a bit longer, and opt for the next iteration of ACC...GM's Super Cruise. This advanced autonomous driving aid apparently surpasses Tesla's autopilot in many ways. Super Cruise will be available on the next Bolt EV / EUV available Sept 2021. Many passed on a Bolt for lack of ACC. Super Cruise has been around for years, GM has been polishing it up and perhaps holding its release back to implement it on EV's only. Great way to move buyers into their EV offerings, just for that feature.
I'm probably not interesting in the Bolt EUV, but am saving my pennies for a Cadillac Lyriq which will most certainly have SuperCruise. But I wonder if the Bolt EUV will have the Bolt drivetrain with different body, or will it be a complete new design with Ultium batteries?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Be aware that while ACC can be used in stop and go traffic Chevy specifically states it is not designed to be used under those circumstances.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the important part to remember is that these (at least in their current incarnation) are all “driver’s aids”. They don’t replace or remove a driver's need to maintain awareness and control at any moment in time. I think any language right now is legalese to CYA against any sue happy customer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think the important part to remember is that these (at least in their current incarnation) are all “driver’s aids”. They don’t replace or remove a driver's need to maintain awareness and control at any moment in time. I think any language right now is legalese to CYA against any sue happy customer.
Nothing sue happy about trying to recover financial losses due to injuries resulting from an inattentive driver who is texting because they feel these "aids" will take care of everything for them. Especially when the driver is using these aids for purposes they were not intended and specifically called out against doing so in the owners manual.

I have nothing against aids but the reality is many don't use them as intended. Using ACC in stop and go traffic is one example.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a 2017 Volt and the option I had to have was ACC. I love it, but it works best in traffic that does not stop and go constantly. Although the Volt will come to a stop, you have to tap the resume or gas to get the car moving again. That is okay a time or two, but after that I shut it off. Where it shines is in traffic where speeds are up and down, but not all the way to stop. I have tested it in situations where the car is racing up on a area of stopped traffic and although it does slow the car down it does not "see" far enough ahead so it races up and then slams on the brakes. It does have 3 settings for distance but if you set it above the lowest setting, other drivers always fill the gap between you and the car in front of you. Also if you have the cruise speed set too high and the traffic slows a lot, the car can be aggressive trying to get back to speed when the traffic starts moving. In that case I will lower the cruise speed temporarily so it is not so aggressive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
All I know is my personal experience...and I’d say that the ACC in my 2017 Volt has been up to the task the times I’ve used it (which is rather rare, as it spends the majority of its time in non-ACC situations). I’d even say that for my family, I think it might even be a tad bit smoother than our 2018 Volvo XC90 T-6 Inscription, and I can absolutely guarantee that it is way better than our 2015 Acura MDX’s was. It’s not a panacea, but it is definitely a stress reliever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2017 Volt and the option I had to have was ACC. I love it, but it works best in traffic that does not stop and go constantly. Although the Volt will come to a stop, you have to tap the resume or gas to get the car moving again. That is okay a time or two, but after that I shut it off. Where it shines is in traffic where speeds are up and down, but not all the way to stop. I have tested it in situations where the car is racing up on a area of stopped traffic and although it does slow the car down it does not "see" far enough ahead so it races up and then slams on the brakes. It does have 3 settings for distance but if you set it above the lowest setting, other drivers always fill the gap between you and the car in front of you. Also if you have the cruise speed set too high and the traffic slows a lot, the car can be aggressive trying to get back to speed when the traffic starts moving. In that case I will lower the cruise speed temporarily so it is not so aggressive.
I also have a 2017 Premier with ACC, and this is my experience almost exactly. Once you get used to the way it reacts to traffic, which isn't very easy, so says my pulse, LOL, it is quite nice. I use it in the Far position, and yes, people love to fill the gap, so it slows down and then tries to catch up.

That said, I wasn't sure I wanted ACC until I drove my wife's RAV4 that has it. I think the Volt implements it better. I will definitely get it again. I'm not sure anyone, driver or manufacturer, is truly ready for Level 3 autonomous driving yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do you think the differences in implementation are related to the electric drive train? The smooth, low end toque and regenerative breaking of the Volt may give it a smoother experience?

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
I also have a 2017 Premier with ACC, and this is my experience almost exactly. Once you get used to the way it reacts to traffic, which isn't very easy, so says my pulse, LOL, it is quite nice. I use it in the Far position, and yes, people love to fill the gap, so it slows down and then tries to catch up.

That said, I wasn't sure I wanted ACC until I drove my wife's RAV4 that has it. I think the Volt implements it better. I will definitely get it again. I'm not sure anyone, driver or manufacturer, is truly ready for Level 3 autonomous driving yet.
Even without ACC, driving efficiently avoiding jackrabbit starts and hard stops will always allow other aggressive drivers to jump into your lane. I just laugh as others who try their hardest to get 1 or 2 car lengths ahead only to be stuck at a traffic light as I roll up to them slowly and stop. But if I happen to be first at the light, I usually punch it to take them because the volt has so much torque at the low end.

I spent 2 years driving like a hypermiler, then at some point the switch flipped and I started driving like Jeff Gordon. The volt is a lot more fun that way. Now I don’t drive at all since I’m working remotely from home.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
But I wonder if the Bolt EUV will have the Bolt drivetrain with different body, or will it be a complete new design with Ultium batteries?
Long story short - Bolt platform and drivetrain, BEV 2 I believe is the designation.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Be aware that while ACC can be used in stop and go traffic Chevy specifically states it is not designed to be used under those circumstances.
I suspect that's GM Legal saying this.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Nothing sue happy about trying to recover financial losses due to injuries resulting from an inattentive driver who is texting because they feel these "aids" will take care of everything for them. Especially when the driver is using these aids for purposes they were not intended and specifically called out against doing so in the owners manual.

I have nothing against aids but the reality is many don't use them as intended. Using ACC in stop and go traffic is one example.
This is why GM, along with every other auto maker, explicitly states in their owners manual that these aids are not to be depended upon for safe driving. It's to prevent the injured party from going after the deep pockets of the auto maker vs. the shallow pockets of the driver of the other vehicle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts