GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone is experiencing a noticeable variation in fan speed while in AUTO mode. I understand from reading the owners manual that the solar sensor (located on top of the dash) is partially responsible for change in fan speed based on the angle of the sun and how intense the sun is.

It seems that my sensor is so sensitive, that when I drive on tree lined streets, from shade to sun, that my fan speed bounces rapidly based on how much sun is hitting the sensor. This is extremely frustrating as if the ambient air temperature is hot, and I'm in the shade, my fan speed lowers when I still need the fan speed to be higher than it adjusts to.

In my 2012 Volt, the AUTO mode was pretty useless as the fan speed never changed. But in my 2018, there's obviously been an improvement which adjusts fan speed based on selected temperature, but the sensor is wreaking havoc.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone is experiencing a noticeable variation in fan speed while in AUTO mode. I understand from reading the owners manual that the solar sensor (located on top of the dash) is partially responsible for change in fan speed based on the angle of the sun and how intense the sun is.

It seems that my sensor is so sensitive, that when I drive on tree lined streets, from shade to sun, that my fan speed bounces rapidly based on how much sun is hitting the sensor. This is extremely frustrating as if the ambient air temperature is hot, and I'm in the shade, my fan speed lowers when I still need the fan speed to be higher than it adjusts to.

In my 2012 Volt, the AUTO mode was pretty useless as the fan speed never changed. But in my 2018, there's obviously been an improvement which adjusts fan speed based on selected temperature, but the sensor is wreaking havoc.
You can always turn the fan speed adjustment knob to a medium or higher setting and leave it that way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well aware of that jcanoe, but thanks. My question was to find out if anyone else experiences this type of performance in the AUTO mode, so I can determine if it's just the way it operates, or if perhaps my sensor may be bad.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Well aware of that jcanoe, but thanks. My question was to find out if anyone else experiences this type of performance in the AUTO mode, so I can determine if it's just the way it operates, or if perhaps my sensor may be bad.
Noted. My experience with the Volt's Auto settings (Climate Control, Heated Seats) is the Auto features are more of an annoyance than anything. The only Auto setting in my 2017 Volt that I find to be non-intrusive and functional is the Auto Defogger when set to On.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Totally concur, jcanoe. I would like to see the Auto function built in to defrost, max air and econo air buttons, then split the Auto button into the two remaining on/off items. The current system is too clever and needs to be simplified for old people like me.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The current system is too clever and needs to be simplified for old people like me.
Without a doubt. I find that GM is great at over-engineering all kinds of things that worked perfect there way they used to be. Sometimes "too smart" = "dumb".

·
Registered
444 Posts
I noticed this in ECO mode, but generally not in MAX mode or no mode selected (fan only).

They needed a running average on the solar sensor so that it takes at least 3-4 seconds of sustained substantial reading change to really affect the command value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts