GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up this car 6mo ago.

It did have a wet dog/ Mildew smell which I thought was due to the carpet cleaning. 6mo later still has the smell. A lot of people talk about GM cars having a blocked drain so I said why not take a look???

Guess what? drain is fine but still wet under the passenger side below the AC drain. I dried out the spot and turned on the AC. It was coming from the seam of the bottom of the drain not the drain its self.

The wet seam sealer came right off with ease. I can see the water coming from a part of the seam that looked like it did not have much of a seal. The pipe coming off the drain is short and the water coming out runs on the side of the fire wall down the seam.

Going redo the seam and add a 1in tube for the drain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Going redo the seam and add a 1in tube for the drain.
I would re-think the 1in tube. You don't want something big enough for a mouse to crawl through.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its 1in longer not wider. that way keeps it from dripping on the firewall. I will post a pic soon.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good info, nice pictures, 1Fly, but for those of us who have not done the exercise, what am I looking at? inside behind the glove compartment or what? Was the carpet getting wet from this? where? Please identify.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Good info, nice pictures, 1Fly, but for those of us who have not done the exercise, what am I looking at? inside behind the glove compartment or what? Was the carpet getting wet from this? where? Please identify.
Floor of the car with the carpet removed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You don't say what year the car is, but possibly the evaporator core was replaced by someone who didn't do a very good job of sealing the case??

Don

·
Registered
643 Posts
Another thing to think about (once you get the blatant leak fixed) is to enable the "HVAC afterblow" option. Unless you have the correct dealer level tool (or can find someone/a forum member who does) it will require a dealer visit, but it helped immensely with the "wet gym sock" smell in both our Gen1's. What it does is run the blower motor on and off for a period of time after the car is shut down, but the AC had been on - this helps dry out the evaporator and ducting to eliminate the conditions that allow the smell to form.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Another thing to think about (once you get the blatant leak fixed) is to enable the "HVAC afterblow" option. Unless you have the correct dealer level tool (or can find someone/a forum member who does) it will require a dealer visit, but it helped immensely with the "wet gym sock" smell in both our Gen1's. What it does is run the blower motor on and off for a period of time after the car is shut down, but the AC had been on - this helps dry out the evaporator and ducting to eliminate the conditions that allow the smell to form.
Is this the exact title of the option the tech is looking for? I want to be clear when I make the request.
I don't have the odor issue, but think the option of "HVAC after blow" should be a normal function of any HVAC system. The residual moisture in the system is always a potential source of odor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is the below on the floor of my 2015 passenger side. No the carpet was not seen getting wet just when I pulled up the carpet the underpad was wet. you have to remove the carpet which is also attached to the under pad. It was the smell that made me think to look around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts