GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove all over, made it to work with 3 miles remaining, charged with the 110 EVSE charger. Got out of work, had 43 mile range (normally 33 in this Wisconsin cold) and when I started driving, found I had no regen until I got on the highway. Range dropped somewhere in the first 2-3 miles from the 43 down to 32, then seemed normal after that.

Maybe some BMS issue? 12,000 miles on car

Normal since then for a week... Not worried at all.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sounds like the battery over charged past the normal protected level for some reason. On the Leaf, when the battery is charged to 100%, regen is disabled so that the battery won't be overcharged. It sounds like some kind of protection like that was at play. Odd that it would happen at all though.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Sounds like the battery over charged past the normal protected level for some reason. On the Leaf, when the battery is charged to 100%, regen is disabled so that the battery won't be overcharged. It sounds like some kind of protection like that was at play. Odd that it would happen at all though.
Nice analysis. Could there be a sensing glitch...it was not actually overcharged, that might explain the 10 mile drop?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Maybe the electric S10 is messing with the volt out of envy..

Does sound like a sensing glitch would explain both the regen and the sudden drop.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Interesting. If not for the regen issue I'd say it was a problem with a temperature sensor. Car thinks it's warm and estimates a 42 mile range. Then it figures out it's cold and reduces the range estimate to 33 miles. What were you looking at that makes you say you didn't have any regen?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. If not for the regen issue I'd say it was a problem with a temperature sensor. Car thinks it's warm and estimates a 42 mile range. Then it figures out it's cold and reduces the range estimate to 33 miles. What were you looking at that makes you say you didn't have any regen?
I was in "L" and let go of the pedal, but kept moving as if I were in "D". Did not feel any decel at all. Weird feeling when your used to it, but it doesn't happen. I hardly ever use the brakes, to a point where it feels weird when I have to!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Could be that you got a full charge and maybe some battery heating, then the car went to sleep. When the car woke up again, the battery may have soaked down to a much colder temperature and caused the system to limit the available power. This may have lead to your poor range prediction and then lack of regen power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts