GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Volt Lt, Silver Ice Metallic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used 2017 Volt that I purchased used from a dealer in 2019. It was originally a leased car from California and imported to Canada in 2019. It was my understanding that the Voltec warranty didn't expire until 160000 km. or 100000 mi. I now have 89000 km or 55303 mi on it and I'm getting notifications from My Chevrolet that the warranty will soon expire at 100000 km or 62138 mi. I haven't talked to my dealer yet but maybe someone has gone through something similar. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The warranty booklet for the Volt says the powertrain warranty is good for 5 years/60,000 miles (= ~96,560 km), and the Voltec warranty is good for 8 years/100,000 miles (= ~160,934 km).

Your warranty page picture suggests your 2017 Volt was put into service on July 1, 2016, when there was 9 miles on the odometer, so the 5 year powertrain warranty expired on July 1, 2121 (odometer max reading limit for the warranty 60,009 miles), and the Voltec warranty would expire on July 1, 2024 (odometer max reading limit for the warranty 100,009 miles), so that part of the displayed information seems to be accurate in terms of miles limits.

To me, the only thing that seems "amiss" on the Warranty page is the "11,508 km remaining" on the Voltec warranty (which, when added to your current odometer reading = ~100,000 km, not miles). Since your Warranty Page readings seem to be displaying the odometer reading limits in miles, not km, perhaps it has not yet been acknowledged somewhere in the system that this car is now registered in Canada, and the Voltec warranty distance odometer limits that are shown in miles are being matched to your odometer readings in km.

I note you are using the Canadian version of the mychevy Warranty Page (mygm.ca). One would think that page would be adjusted for metric numbers... Have you tried the warranty page available via the onstar.ca website? Perhaps there it is adjusted for km readings... or you could call the number shown on the warranty page (or use the information for Canada found in the warranty booklet) to confirm the accurate km reading for your warranty limits. Your local Chevy service dept should be able to access the same Warranty data for your Volt; perhaps their source would display the limits in km, not in miles.

... one more random thought just occurred to me... if your OnStar account allows you to use the mychevy app to see the Vehicle Status, what if you switched the units in your Volt from metric to US units, then updated your Vehicle Status (to show total and electric distances in miles and not in km)... would that modification then somehow get transferred to the Warranty page that shows the remaining distance limits for the Voltec warranty to reflect remaining distances in miles (~44,700 miles)?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt that meets all the criteria for the CARB warranty coverage, but MyChevrolet doesn't display it. It is my understanding that I do have the warranty coverage, whether or not it's displayed. In fact, I haven't seen anyone reporting that MyChevrolet does display the extended CARB warranty coverage for their eligible vehicle. So my interpretation is that the software for MyChevrolet simply doesn't factor in the longer CARB warranty coverage, but that has no bearing on the actual warranty coverage.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I haven't seen anyone reporting that MyChevrolet does display the extended CARB warranty coverage for their eligible vehicle. So my interpretation is that the software for MyChevrolet simply doesn't factor in the longer CARB warranty coverage, but that has no bearing on the actual warranty coverage.
I have seen a screen cap of the warranty page of a California registered Volt. It shows a separate PZEV warranty in addition to the Voltec warranty. The PZEV warranty is actually the one for 10 years/150,000 miles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have seen a screen cap of the warranty page of a California registered Volt. It shows a separate PZEV warranty in addition to the Voltec warranty. The PZEV warranty is actually the one for 10 years/150,000 miles.
I think what you're referring to is the "PZEV Emission Limited Warranty" that is 15 years, 150K miles. Although it doesn't say so on MyChevrolet, people on this forum interpret that as including the 10 year, 150K Voltec warranty coverage that CARB vehicles have (in lieu of the non-CARB 8 year, 100K Voltec coverage).

If someone has their CARB Voltec warranty explicitly show up on their MyChevrolet page, I'd like to see that screen grab.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Lt, Silver Ice Metallic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what it shows on mine. It has the 150K right except it's in km and not miles.

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt that meets all the criteria for the CARB warranty coverage, but MyChevrolet doesn't display it. It is my understanding that I do have the warranty coverage, whether or not it's displayed. In fact, I haven't seen anyone reporting that MyChevrolet does display the extended CARB warranty coverage for their eligible vehicle. So my interpretation is that the software for MyChevrolet simply doesn't factor in the longer CARB warranty coverage, but that has no bearing on the actual warranty coverage.
If the car was sold into a Carb state when new and you bought in that state, you'd be covered. A CA car bought in TN? Nope. That's my understanding.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the car was sold into a Carb state when new and you bought in that state, you'd be covered. A CA car bought in TN? Nope. That's my understanding.
My car was leased in CA and then I bought it in CA, and it's a PZEV, and it has the right VIN...

But even if that weren't the case, it seems surreal to me that a car originally sold in CA (or another CARB state) would lose its warranty coverage if later sold as a used car in a different state. I doubt that would be legally tenable even if GM wanted to it it. On what basis are people making that inference?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I suspect it's just an error in translation (to Canadian??). The warranty will be honored, despite any errors on an online site/app. Mine shows the actual mileage. The car was purchased and delivered in California, with the CARB required ticks and VIN. The "Emission Limited Warranty" shows the same.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't think Canadian has anything to do with it. As best I can tell, no one's MyChevrolet has CARB Voltec warranty show up correctly, i.e. they all look like yours, including "Voltec Component Limited Warranty" listed at 8 years and 100K miles, which is what I assume you have, too (not shown).

I could be persuaded that this is either inept software implementation or an intentional effort to obfuscate the warranty coverage available for CARB vehicles. Between inept and malicious, I'm honestly torn about which seems more plausible. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think Canadian has anything to do with it. As best I can tell, no one's MyChevrolet has CARB Voltec warranty show up correctly, i.e. they all look like yours, including "Voltec Component Limited Warranty" listed at 8 years and 100K miles, which is what I assume you have, too (not shown).
The "Canadian translation" comment wasn't entirely serious, however, international warranty rules may be very different than exclusive US rules. Mine is showing accurate to the promise (according to the screenshot), 150K miles or 15 years, in respect to all the corresponding warranties. The OP's screenshot is showing very similar to mine, which leads me to suspect an error in translation, of some sort. I've had the car 4 years, 9 months, and it's indicating the remaining warranty for another 10 years, 2 months (and 25 days), as well as the expiration mileage at 150K+ miles. That's pretty much 15/150K, unless my simplistic, non-common-core math is wrong.

That said, with 90K on the clock, warranty anxiety is becoming a factor. I've recently had to fork over for the first out-of-warranty repair: the radiator coolant temp sensor (P00B4). It's in the mail as we speak. That will set me back about 14 bucks for the OEM part, plus some coolant replacement (don't expect much), and maybe some skinned knuckles. (knocking wood)

·
Registered
232 Posts
The "Canadian translation" comment wasn't entirely serious, however, international warranty rules may be very different than exclusive US rules. Mine is showing accurate to the promise (according to the screenshot), 150K miles or 15 years, in respect to all the corresponding warranties. The OP's screenshot is showing very similar to mine, which leads me to suspect an error in translation, of some sort. I've had the car 4 years, 9 months, and it's indicating the remaining warranty for another 10 years, 2 months (and 25 days), as well as the expiration mileage at 150K+ miles. That's pretty much 15/150K, unless my simplistic, non-common-core math is wrong.

That said, with 90K on the clock, warranty anxiety is becoming a factor. I've recently had to fork over for the first out-of-warranty repair: the radiator coolant temp sensor (P00B4). It's in the mail as we speak. That will set me back about 14 bucks for the OEM part, plus some coolant replacement (don't expect much), and maybe some skinned knuckles. (knocking wood)
The CARB Voltec warranty is 10 years, 150K miles (as opposed to 8 years, 100K miles on non-CARB vehicles). Yours is only accurate if you interpret those other, longer warranties (which both CARB and non-CARB vehicles have) as somehow including the CARB Voltec coverage and you ignore the "Voltec Component Limited Warranty" that I'm sure is also listed on your page (at 8 years, 100K miles of coverage).

·
Registered
123 Posts
The CARB Voltec warranty is 10 years, 150K miles (as opposed to 8 years, 100K miles on non-CARB vehicles). Yours is only accurate if you interpret those other, longer warranties (which both CARB and non-CARB vehicles have) as somehow including the CARB Voltec coverage and you ignore the "Voltec Component Limited Warranty" that I'm sure is also listed on your page (at 8 years, 100K miles of coverage).
Nope. Just showing what it says. The original, global(?) warranties are as they were stated, and the additional warranties are as they were stated. The Voltec Component Limited Warranty is standard issue, with additional warranties appropriately listed. They are not the same, are not displayed the same, and no one should expect otherwise. Nothing was ignored, but irrelevant info was not included. My corrosion warranty is about to expire, but what relevance is that? Warranty expiries are exactly as was described at the time I purchased, and are indicated the same on the OP's screenshot, minus the translation error, or whatever it is. Nobody is being cheated out of a promised warranty, according to anything discussed here. International warranty rules, notwithstanding.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nope. Just showing what it says. The original, global(?) warranties are as they were stated, and the additional warranties are as they were stated. The Voltec Component Limited Warranty is standard issue, with additional warranties appropriately listed. They are not the same, are not displayed the same, and no one should expect otherwise. Nothing was ignored, but irrelevant info was not included. My corrosion warranty is about to expire, but what relevance is that? Warranty expiries are exactly as was described at the time I purchased, and are indicated the same on the OP's screenshot, minus the translation error, or whatever it is. Nobody is being cheated out of a promised warranty, according to anything discussed here. International warranty rules, notwithstanding.
Non-CARB Volt owners show exactly the same warranty coverage as what you shared. If that makes you feel like GM is acknowledging your CARB-only extended coverage on the Voltec system, I don't know what else to say.

And my own impression is that although MyChevrolet bizarrely doesn't acknowledge the extended warranty coverage on the Voltec system that CARB vehicles receive, GM does honor that coverage, though sometimes only with a fight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Non-CARB Volt owners show exactly the same warranty coverage as what you shared. If that makes you feel like GM is acknowledging your CARB-only extended coverage on the Voltec system, I don't know what else to say.

And my own impression is that although MyChevrolet bizarrely doesn't acknowledge the extended warranty coverage on the Voltec system that CARB vehicles receive, GM does honor that coverage, though sometimes only with a fight.
Wow. What are you saying? That ALL Volts, sold in ALL states, are showing on their site/app that their warranties are exactly the same as I posted? I haven't seen them all, but I don't believe that. You don't share your location, so I don't know where you are, and I can't guess where you may have bought your Volt or what emission standard it may have. Since M/Y 2011 (coincidental?), states that share California emission standard laws are Colorado, New Mexico, Colorado, Delaware, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Maine. If you bought a Volt in one of those states, with the emission standard for that state, the warranty information should reflect what I, and others, have shown and stated. A "CARB" state is a loose term for those states that adopted CARB emission laws, regardless of what they may actually call it in those states (only CA would be an actual CARB state). "Emission Select State Component Ltd Wty" and "PZEV Emission Limited Warranty" are the extended EV warranties specific to the states and their emission standards, respectively. That ARE the Voltec extended warranties but, of course, are not called "Extended Voltec Warranty", because that is NOT what they are. That is GM's additional warranty extended to those vehicles that specific states require GM to certify and warranty vehicles that adhere to the "CARB" [SIC] standard. Those states and those vehicles are not exclusive to vehicles sold in CA, nor are they vehicles exclusive to the Volt, so why would you expect it to be called "Voltec CARB Warranty", et el, if they are not just that? Show me a screenshot of the warranty info from a Volt sold in Texas, with the required Texas emission standard of the time (or whatever non-CARB state), that indicates the same warranty, and I'll show you an error. I haven't seen one, in this thread or elsewhere, so I don't know that it exists. It may exist, but it would be in error. Also note, that each warranty description represented on the site is accompanied by a disclaimer, suggesting you refer to your owner's manual or warranty booklet for complete information. If you had read the fine print when you signed up to access the site and information, you'd also know that anything represented on the site is not contractually binding. It is a convenience, subject to errors, and GM is held-harmless.

And, "GM does honor that coverage, though sometimes only with a fight", isn't entirely accurate. GM honors the warranties just fine. Some dealer service depts. are ignorant, or malicious to the facts. GM dealerships are not GM companies. They are independent companies/businesses that host GM products. A condition of that privilege is they must follow GM policy with respect to warranty coverage. Many businesses were de-branded by GM for not doing that. A local-to-me GM dealership was one of those, that knowingly billed GM warranty customers for warranty repairs they should not have, for decades (I was one of those customers). What remains is a used car lot, stripped of GM branding.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe you (and some others) are right, GM shows the 10 year, 150K mile Voltec warranty that it is legally required to provide in CARB states as an unspecified part of one or both of the 15 year, 150K mile warranties you cited.

And maybe that overrides/extends the 8 year, 100K mile "Voltec Component Limited Warranty" that is listed.

Personally, I wish MyChevrolet would display the 10 year, 150K mile Voltec warranty coverage, because if I ever have a warranty situation, I think this would likely make it easier to engage a dealer, and if I ever sell the car on the used market, it would make it easier to show a buyer the actual remaining warranty coverage.

Lots of people have shared experiences of having to fight GM corporate, not just their dealer, to get warranty coverage, and being given incorrect information by people working for GM corporate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe you (and some others) are right, GM shows the 10 year, 150K mile Voltec warranty that it is legally required to provide in CARB states as an unspecified part of one or both of the 15 year, 150K mile warranties you cited.

And maybe that overrides/extends the 8 year, 100K mile "Voltec Component Limited Warranty" that is listed.
That's S.O.P. Base warranties have always been listed, followed by any special conditions or warranties. The warranties of discussion are not specific to the Volt or a specific powertrain, so there is no reason it would specify that.

Personally, I wish MyChevrolet would display the 10 year, 150K mile Voltec warranty coverage, because if I ever have a warranty situation, I think this would likely make it easier to engage a dealer, and if I ever sell the car on the used market, it would make it easier to show a buyer the actual remaining warranty coverage.
It's easy enough to print out the special bulletins and warranty policies. Search the interwebs. You could also visit a dealer and ask for a printout of the warranty info for a specific VIN (probably not a free service at many dealers, but would confirm it to a potential buyer). However, if your warranty info looks like mine, it's quite clear. If yours isn't showing, and it should, you need to correct that. There's a phone number listed, so maybe start with that.

Lots of people have shared experiences of having to fight GM corporate, not just their dealer, to get warranty coverage, and being given incorrect information by people working for GM corporate.
Also S.O.P., it seems. It's a left-hand/right-hand thing. Add to that, they deal with as many fraudulent claims as valid, so some skepticism should be expected for high-cost or questionable claims.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
By my count, GM provides any Volt owner with five warranty coverages:

1. Bumper to bumper: 3 years/36,000 miles
2. Powertrain: 5 years/100,000 miles
3. Sheet Metal corrosion: 3 years/36,000 miles, rust-through: 6 years/100,000 miles
4. Federal emissions major components: 8 years/80,000 miles
5. Voltec: 8 years/100,000 miles

If your Volt warranty page includes the following two warranties, as mine does for my ULEV-class 2012 Volt, can you explain why they are listed for your Volt?

Also listed on my 2012 Volt's warranty page:
Emission Limited Warranty (3 year/50,000 miles) - EXPIRED
Emission Select State Component Ltd Wty (7 year/70,000 miles)- EXPIRED

My 2012 Volt is registered in Oregon. My understanding is these two warranties, now expired, are CARB warranties, mandated by Oregon law.

Oregon law would also mandate that a PZEV-class Volt registered for use in Oregon be covered by these two warranties. Oregon law does not require PZEV-class Volts to be covered by the PZEV-level warranty coverage, but it does require the PZEV class vehicle battery to be covered for 10 years/150,000 miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
By my count, GM provides any Volt owner with five warranty coverages:

1. Bumper to bumper: 3 years/36,000 miles
2. Powertrain: 5 years/100,000 miles
3. Sheet Metal corrosion: 3 years/36,000 miles, rust-through: 6 years/100,000 miles
4. Federal emissions major components: 8 years/80,000 miles
5. Voltec: 8 years/100,000 miles

If your Volt warranty page includes the following two warranties, as mine does for my ULEV-class 2012 Volt, can you explain why they are listed for your Volt?

Also listed on my 2012 Volt's warranty page:
Emission Limited Warranty (3 year/50,000 miles) - EXPIRED
Emission Select State Component Ltd Wty (7 year/70,000 miles)- EXPIRED

My 2012 Volt is registered in Oregon. My understanding is these two warranties, now expired, are CARB warranties, mandated by Oregon law.

Oregon law would also mandate that a PZEV-class Volt registered for use in Oregon be covered by these two warranties. Oregon law does not require PZEV-class Volts to be covered by the PZEV-level warranty coverage, but it does require the PZEV class vehicle battery to be covered for 10 years/150,000 miles.
Oregon is a different animal, unto itself. Oregon does what Oregon does. What it isn't is, a "CARB state", with regard to electric vehicles, or at least not the Volt in 2012, or any other vehicles I've seen. Your #4 warranty excludes your car from that. Only non-"CARB state" vehicles show the Federal emission requirement/warranty, while your "Emisson" additional warranties are also very different (similar titles, different coverage periods), and you aren't showing a "PZEV Emission Limited Warranty", whether Oregon requires it or not. All of the late model vehicles I've purchased have been "California Emissions" vehicles, and none of them ever listed "Federal Emissions". This to include all my 1985 to 2014 GM Diesels, and a half dozen passenger cars along the way, including the 2017 Volt. The same should likely apply to all "CARB state" vehicles since M/Y 2011, although I can't confirm that, not having seen them all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts