GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Volt creeps along even when it is at full stop if i do not engage the brake. I know this is a common condition for a gas car but the Volt should be dead still if i am stopped and don't have my foot on the accelerator - kind of like how you can not rev the engine in neutral......

I drive about 100 miles a day - usually in traffic - and it would be great if while not moving on a flat surface i could just remove my foot from the accelerator and brake........Is this something that could be "tuned"?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My Volt creeps along even when it is at full stop if i do not engage the brake. I know this is a common condition for a gas car but the Volt should be dead still if i am stopped and don't have my foot on the accelerator - kind of like how you can not rev the engine in neutral......

I drive about 100 miles a day - usually in traffic - and it would be great if while not moving on a flat surface i could just remove my foot from the accelerator and brake........Is this something that could be "tuned"?
I think it is programed like that intentionally, to give the feel of a regular gas car. The experts can chime in and give you a more educated answer.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
In heavy traffic situations, this would mean moving from one pedal modulation (just easing off the brake) to two pedal modulation (switching back/forth from the accelerator to the brake). Drive a manual in heavy traffic for a similar comparison.

To give your feet a rest, you can switch to neutral but that's not a good safety recommendation.

·
Registered
878 Posts
No, that can not be "tuned" out. GM said they specifically put the "creep" feature into the Volt so it would "feel" like a regular car with an automatic transmission. It has some benefits, as it helps hold the Volt from rolling backwards when facing uphill at a stop and you take your foot off the brake to get it back on the accelerator. It also helps when negotiating parking in both forward and reverse directions, as you don't have to take your foot off the brake pedal at all.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The Tesla Model S started out without the Creep function, but I believe through customer demand that are adding it in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am thankful for that function! I would hate not having the creep!

·
8,680 Posts
The Tesla Model S started out without the Creep function, but I believe through customer demand that are adding it in.
They did it, quite a while back. On the Tesla it is switchable, however - you can turn it off from the vehicle settings screen.

I can't see any reason not to have it - the car reads the brake pedal and doesn't power the motor until the brakes are almost released, so you're not wasting anything - and I really doubt a tuner could do anything about it without a thorough firmware rewrite.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Yes, the creep is intentional and there is no control for "tuning" it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It would be a pita if you pull into a parking spot, come to a stop and then realize you need to move up a bit. You'd have to take your foot off the brake, give it some throttle, then move quickly back to the brake.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They did it, quite a while back. On the Tesla it is switchable, however - you can turn it off from the vehicle settings screen.

I can't see any reason not to have it - the car reads the brake pedal and doesn't power the motor until the brakes are almost released, so you're not wasting anything - and I really doubt a tuner could do anything about it without a thorough firmware rewrite.
That is one really nice thing about Tesla. They listen to their customers and update their software regularly. I wish other car companies did the same.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
In heavy traffic situations, this would mean moving from one pedal modulation (just easing off the brake) to two pedal modulation (switching back/forth from the accelerator to the brake). Drive a manual in heavy traffic for a similar comparison.

To give your feet a rest, you can switch to neutral but that's not a good safety recommendation.
That's what I do. I really don't see the safety issue.

We went over this some months ago. I was worried that holding against the "creep" with the brake was wasting energy. But one of the Volt Advisers weighed in and says that it doesn't. Somehow the motor stops pulling when you hold the car with the brake and comes back on when you release it. Or something like that.

I could do without the "creep" myself, as I don't need to feel like I'm driving a "normal" car, LOL. So I just pop it in neutral.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One of my concerns before I test drove the Volt was that it would drive like a golf cart. If it did that would probably have been a show stopper for me.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have driven automatics all my life and loved the creep function.
Once driving with out it though, I find never wanting to return to it:)
The level of low speed fine control you have is amazing.
If you have a chance to test drive a Model S, I highly recommend trying it out.

The only time it really is a pita is if you are trying to do minor slow speed adjustments on a hill. But in that case I simply switch on 'creep'.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Leave it. I am a long-time left foot braker and my foot doesn't get tired in city traffic. (DMV/CHP says either foot is OK. Driver preference)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Teslas started without creep, then it was later added as a configurable option via a firmware update.

This sort of willingness to take care of their existing owners is one of the reasons Tesla has a "hot" public image and the Volt does not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is great feedback - thanks..... I personally would still like to be able to turn the "creep" off in most situation..... Oh well i guess it is on to my paddle shifter mod

·
Registered
4 Posts
It would be great to have a soft switch (in the interactive display) to be able to adjust the level of creep, or switch it off.

For driving in traffic, have you tried "L". It works very well for not using the brake.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
When would you want it off? I drive lots of our vehicles and with the change to 500 rpm idle in many vehicles, they don't creep anymore. And I miss it. I hate having to press the accelerator to move at all, especially when parking.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I would love to be able to switch it on or off, in the vehicle config menus.
So customers could activate or deactivate this function as they wish, thus raising the satisfaction factor.

In stop and go traffic, the creep speed is often either too low or too high, with the latter requiring pressing the brake.
No creep does permit to adjust better the speed of the car with the surrounding trafic speed.

Maybe that should be posted as a suggestion to GM?

Francois
B2653

1 - 20 of 26 Posts