GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The biggest gripe I, and many others, have about the Bolt EV is its lack of charging infrastructure. Sure, there are pockets of CCS chargers out there, and sure you can drive a long distance here and there. But relying on most CCS stations might find you sitting and waiting for a Leaf or Soul EV to finish with their CHAdeMO session since only single, dual-head charger is available. Yes, some sites might have 2-5 of these stations but they are exceptions.

Bolt drivers would LOVE to have access to the Tesla Supercharger network, right? So what if GM partnered with Tesla to get a CCS-TSL02 adapter made (easy enough) and allow Bolt owners to pay Tesla for Supercharger sessions. Tesla is gearing up for a pay-to-charge scheme that decouples Supercharging from the Model S/X to lower the entry price on them. They should be able to allow Bolt owners to enter their CC# and do the same thing.

For all you potential Bolt EV buyers, what's it going to hurt to call GM and ask if the Bolt will be able to use Tesla's Supercharger network? Customer demand will get them to pick up the phone and have a real conversation with Tesla. If anything, more Bolt sales could be saved from Tesla if this was available. Tesla has said over and over they would be happy to have other OEMs' cars using the network. It's up to GM, now.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I think the supercharger network is a marketing gimmick- "... see look, charge all you want, 5 miles a minute, just go sit on the can for a half hour and you can drive until the next cup of coffee runs through you...." There is no reason for either GM or Tesla to work together, they are competitive mortal enemy's, each could kill the other under the wrong (right?) circumstances.
A person who regularly needs to make long drives is not an EV buyer for their only car, Maybe for a second car...

a Bolt buyer has a relaxed - no worry driving lifestyle like a tesla driver does for the most part. but long trips I'll take a Plug in hybrid like my volt any day over any pure ev, I can add range at a rate of 150 miles per minute of refuleling.... 50 times the rate of a supercharger....

·
Registered
902 Posts
Charging cooperative stations is a role for government. In Colorado, I paid a small extra registration fee that goes into a grant program to provide public charging stations. I am sure that there are political conservatives who oppose government intervention, but certain public goods are best provided with government oversight.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Why would GM need to partner with Tesla to make this happen? If Tesla wants to monitize their supercharger network they can do their own adaptor and sell it and then charge on a per KWh basis. They don't need GM for that.

Personally I think Tesla is simply taking the high road in public for free publicity. But in reality the terms they would put on any partner would not be favourable. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. In a couple of years the supercharger network will be mostly irrelevant based on the growth of other charging networks.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Bolt is a city/metro car. Even IF there were a long-distance charging network it would be lightly used.

I would never use an EV, even a Tesla, for distance (>400 mi) travel. It's just not practical right now. Anything over 400-mi is a jet route.

This 'advantage' of SC network is ethereal and short-lived. Future long-distance will be H2 or NG fuel cells.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Charging cooperative stations is a role for government. In Colorado, I paid a small extra registration fee that goes into a grant program to provide public charging stations. I am sure that there are political conservatives who oppose government intervention, but certain public goods are best provided with government oversight.
I don't see any demonstrable public benefit or compelling reason for taking tax $$ from working people and using those $$ on a toy for us upper middle class status seekers who drive plug in vehicles- I'd rather spend any nameable amount that you can "suppose", that we have taken, under threat of imprisonment, from working wage earners, on creating more low cost housing in all neighborhoods, mine included, for lower income families and more true public transportation options for working class residents of our state.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Why would GM need to partner with Tesla to make this happen? If Tesla wants to monitize their supercharger network they can do their own adaptor and sell it and then charge on a per KWh basis. They don't need GM for that.

Maybe, but the cost per delivered KWh of the supercharger network is phenomenally high, The infrastructure change needed to install it are significant and I estimate that most power use is in time of use periods when demand is already high. I'm not sure there is any case for monetizing the network, it is great publicity as it is, and a cleaver marketing tool, but in my view, that's all it is- clever and effective marketing- and worth the price to Tesla for that effect., just never worth what the OP is suggesting.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Maybe, but the cost per delivered KWh of the supercharger network is phenomenally high, The infrastructure change needed to install it are significant and I estimate that most power use is in time of use periods when demand is already high. I'm not sure there is any case for monetizing the network, it is great publicity as it is, and a cleaver marketing tool, but in my view, that's all it is- clever and effective marketing- and worth the price to Tesla for that effect., just never worth what the OP is suggesting.
Well if that's the case then Tesla is screwed! The supercharger network has to find a way to at least pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The Bolt EV will get added value over the coming years for a few reasons, even without the Tesla charger network, because:

- As the power grid gets greener, so does driving an electric vehicle,
- When the inevitable price hikes come for oil, electric vehicles will be immune, and
- As the CCS charger network is built out, the long distance capabilities of the Bolt EV will continue to grow.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Bolt is a city/metro car. Even IF there were a long-distance charging network it would be lightly used.
Agreed. I also dont see GM ever partner with Tesla becuase they don't need to.

For me the Bolt, would cover my commute for a week and occasional long trips. For longer trips beyond 240 miles, i might use the "west coast electric highway" but even in CA coverage can be a little dicey when you get away from the major interstates or large cities like LA and SF Bay area. Here a map showing where we are at.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/transportation/zev/pev/

I think in even in CA there are challenges with building up our infrastructure and i know some other states are in much worse condition. So i think we are still many years away from being a strictly EV society and gas vehicles will be around for awhile. Some states are probably closer than other but will vary also depending on where you live. A consultant report on the website above list the detailed costs and challlenges that come with enhancing CA current infrastructure to be more robust for EV drivers. Ultimately, they recommend public subsidies to make this work but not everyone is on board for that an even I'm hesitant to embrace that option but it will probably happen here in CA and I'll be ok with it becuase ultimately our air quality needs to improve and we need to be more green and much less reliant on foriegn gas.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Eventually, I hope we can get to one charge plug standard. It may not be Tesla, it may not be CCS, it may take more than 20 years, but I can't see how it's in everyone's interest to continue the present situation.

The "Jdapter" will give J1772 vehicles access to Tesla destination HPW stations.
https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com/
If Jdapter becomes widespread, maybe demand for actual Supercharger access will force some near term changes.
(yes, I know it will take more than the Jdapter, Superchargers can authenticate)

To me, changes also have to include monetizing the value of charging. Free is not sustainable.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Eventually, I hope we can get to one charge plug standard.
And, at least equally important IMHO, a single payment standard. I should be able to swipe my credit card or tap my phone at any EV station without having to pre-register or have some sort of proprietary keychain fob or card. The current situation where every network has their own hair-brained scheme is ridiculous. Imagine a gas station trying to compete in today's market when they'd only sell you gas if you had already pre-registered on their web site...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
GM has studied this issue ad infinitum. You are not a candidate for a Bolt. Check out an early Tesla and be happy.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
For all the naysayers who say a fast charging network isn't important…

For me it's the #1 reason why I'm strongly considering a Model 3 and not at all considering a Bolt. Take it for what you will.

I drive 400-500 mile roundtrip trips maybe 2-3 times a year and own only 1 car. A fast, reliable, well-thought-out, well-spaced fast charging network is essential to make a 200-300 mile BEV viable for me. And CCS chargers simply aren't gonna get there without either the government or a consortium of automakers making it happen. It's simply not going to be a viable business in the short- to medium-term for Chargepoint or whoever else.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
"Bolt drivers would LOVE to have access to the Tesla Supercharger network, right?" Do you know any Bolt EV drivers? I don'r because none have been sold.

And as many here have posted, future Bolt EV drivers (including myself) will not use the SAE DCFC and will charge at home while they sleep. None will LOVE to have access to the Tesla Supercharger network! If your daily rant is for using the Superchargers, get a Model S, and leave this forum to real GM owners.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
And, at least equally important IMHO, a single payment standard. I should be able to swipe my credit card or tap my phone at any EV station without having to pre-register or have some sort of proprietary keychain fob or card. The current situation where every network has their own hair-brained scheme is ridiculous. Imagine a gas station trying to compete in today's market when they'd only sell you gas if you had already pre-registered on their web site...
A single payment standard is fine, just as long as it's doesn't have to involve credit cards. I already find it annoying that EZPass adds funds with credit cards. It wouldn't be a burden to have a unified account system for transportation that can handle tolls, road usage fees and charging, which you can reload at low cost using ACH tranfers.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
"Bolt drivers would LOVE to have access to the Tesla Supercharger network, right?" Do you know any Bolt EV drivers? I don'r because none have been sold.

And as many here have posted, future Bolt EV drivers (including myself) will not use the SAE DCFC and will charge at home while they sleep. None will LOVE to have access to the Tesla Supercharger network! If your daily rant is for using the Superchargers, get a Model S, and leave this forum to real GM owners.
Well, I certainly hope there will be 8-plug CCS charging stations on the route home from my most common longer journeys. That would make a purchase of a Bolt better. Unfortunately there are no such charging stations right now. There are two Superchargers though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why not just rent an ICE vehicle for those 2-3 times a year?
Three of the last four 200+ mile trips I've taken in the last few years I had to rent a car--the trips were for business and my company would much rather pay a rental fee than pay me 50 cents a mile to use my personal car. The one trip that was personal was a college visit, and that process is over. I really don't see myself needing to drive that far again. Living close to a major airport helps.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts