GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's incorrect. He was sued on the basis that he had promised investors that his car would be able to run using perpetual motion. After being analyzed, the car was shown to run using electrolysis. That is the point I was making, is that electrolysis as a means of creating HHO for fuel, is not a new idea and has been around for a long time.
You forgot how it was shown to not make anything near the amount of energy Stan claimed.

in other words, he claimed it did something it didn't, and claimed results that he couldn't reproduce. That's not only a failure of scientific testing methods, it's outright fraud.

Newer cars such as the Japanese one also claim they're not using electrolysis. Once you say "no no, this is a different technology" you'd better be able to prove the technology you're claiming, or not ask people for money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, but all refueling isn't the same. Some types of refueling don't send my hard-earned $$$ to OPEC countries that don't like us. If I have to refuel, I'd like the money to remain in North America.

I want to sting Big Oil for what they are doing to us now, and I want to utterly cut out OPEC and let them sink in a sand pit. The hell with them all!
I wish someone would make a series hybrid (or REEV, if you prefer the marketing men's term) with an efficient diesel. Then I could run it off of algae based biodiesel and have the best of all worlds - straight EV for short hops, no net carbon on longer ICE runs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's not a scam. The car has been tested again and again. The same system has also been used in trucks and SUV's in Japan. I really hate when people call it a scam simply because they don't want to believe that the technology is possible. You are talking about a country which has literally developed some of the worlds greatest electronic innovations. I don't see why the same cannot be true for energy. This is also not a recent technology, it was developed in this nation in roughly 1998 by Stan Meyer, and was used in a buggy that he built to run on water alone. With 1 gallon of water, his buggy could travel up to 100 miles before refueling.

People like to call it a scam and a hoax simply because it hasn't been implemented today. Well there are many, many reasons behind that, namely our government and the fact that they get 15c tax for every gallon of gas that you buy at the pump. More so for Diesel. So they have absolutely no incentives to allow for a "free" fuel to hit the market, and bleed them of their millions of dollars they accrue daily.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If the cost of gasoline was my only concern, and if gasoline stayed more or less where it is now price-wise, I'd not need the Volt or any other EV. I very much like the fact that traffic has eased since folks have decided they don't need to be on the freeway with me during rush hour.

However, it's not going to stay the same price, and we need to cut or dependence on foreign oil to as close to zero as we can. This seems like the most logical way forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
By waiting for 2 years to produce a car that only gets 50mpg when not on full electric is not a step forward. What will gas prices be in 2 years? What will the other hybrids be getting in another 2 years? 100+ mpg or more is the claim, and that is by next year:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109981
biodiesel and ethanol are much safer cleaner alternatives (and we don't have to have only 1 alternative fuel!). Give gas up, we have proven it can be done without it, lets move on and put it behind us. And, everyone knows that there will have to be tax on those fuels to continue to fund road repairs. So lets not even make it about that.
No more gasoline!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
125mpd

to use your example.
"Average driver - 40mi/day
Average (Midsize/Large) car - 32mpg
Average SUV - 18mpg

So lets assume that we both drive a Midsize car, something like a 4dr Honda Accord. We're both getting 32mpg. Only you drive an average of 40mi/day, and I drive an average of oh... 125mi/day.

You use 1.25gal of gas/day
I use 3.9gal of gas/day

Your weekly driving cost (at the average of $4/gal) = $25
My weekly driving cost ("") = $78"

take it the next step in your flawed idea..you are only 15%, the rest are the 85%.

Keeping this simple, that means that your gropup COLLECTIVELY uses (78 x 15) = $1170/wk the rest use (25 x 85) = $2125/week

This is per 100, almost double your group...

so they are targeting the masses and the right market...

·
Registered
1 Posts
gasoline prices will drop

Once you have a significant number of HEV, PHEV, or EVs on the road, I guarantee that there will be a decline in price for gasoline due to lowered demand. But this is only going to buy some time because in the long run, the relentless decline in availability of oil will drive up the costs once again. Plus the fact that growth will consume a good portion of the excess.

The thing is, we need to get from 98% usage of fossil fuels for transportation to something less, and at some point hopefully from a completely renewable source.

The HEV -> PHEV -> EV transition makes perfect sense. And in fact, the PHEV can be fitted with several different types of electrical generation sources. You would then select you generator of choice (whether it be gas, diesel, Fuel Cell, CNG, or whatever).

Then in the mean time, manufacturing processes and increased efficiencies in design and energy storage will drive costs down.

That is if the cost is reasonable. How many people are going to be able to afford $40k-$50k cars for basic transportation that has limitations? Until folks are forced to switch either by fuel costs or by regulation, many may stick with gas powered vehicles as long as fuel is cheap (and yes, gas is very cheap even at $4/gallon). At some point oil needs to get to some price level of what its actual worth is. Then the EVs are going to look dirt cheap to operate.

g

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If the plan is to get off oil ethanol won't do it, you need more oil to make ethanol then you create. Future technology may change that but right now you loose energy every time you create a gallon of ethanol. E-85 will give you less MPG than gas. By the way even if you drive 100 miles between charging, you will only use gas for 40 of those miles. Without government subsidies ethanol is a money losing proposition

41 - 49 of 49 Posts