GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I have to compliment this forum for helping me figure out so many things about this amazing car.

This goal started as "what do I want for my 50th birthday?" I wasn't interested in climbing a mountain, skydiving or some other extreme physical challenge. Although I am a fairly fit fella, thanks to lots of hot yoga. I already have plenty of hobbies from cheese making to metal art. My husband and I live simply in a quiet home deep in the woods. I don't want for much and each day is inspiring here in the mountains of NC.

After spinning a few things around in my noggin' and was playing around with my expenses on Mint. I was not happy with my gas spending. I have a 2004 Nissan 4 cylinder Pick Up that gets 25mpg. Not terrible but I have about a 45 mile commute and live so deep in the boonies that any need is a 20 minute drive. So I was sniffing at getting a Nissan Leaf. I couldn't get past the total beggary look and feel of it. My husband made it clear that he would never come and get me because it ran out of juice. Then I watch a YouTube of a British couple freezing while driving on a snowy night and desperately trying to find a plug. No way would I live that Leaf Life. So I researched the Volt and was really intrigued and even more so after finding this forum. I haven't owned a GM since I sobered up in 1990 and was driving a 1971 Eldorado Convertible. (Hence my amends to the Earth by buying a green car) I figured an american made car was going to cheap crap based on all the others I have seen in the past.

So last fall, I went and test drove a Gen 1 then was blown away by the brilliance of the Voltec motor and how solid the car felt. Buying my first new car seemed like a challenge and a good goal for my 50th. However, I am not willing to get myself strapped financially. So saving and being methodically patient became the order (I know this part makes llninja happy). I reached my goals earlier than expected (due to a clean and boring life). I always prefer boring over drama. Then I learned about the limited time offer of a $7500 tax credit and I was going to just make the cut for a full tax credit.

So today I finally got dang good offer accepted from my local Chevy dealer, but had to play hardball like a pimp (guess there is still a little '71 Eldorado convertible in my blood). I am really glad I didn't have to go out of state because I like this little dealership. I definitely recommend Lea Hall at Jim Cook Chevy in little ol' Marion NC. She is leading the state with Volt sales in a tiny town at a no frills dealership.

All this to say...I have a bad ass Siren Red Volt with ACC and the rest of the bells and whistles charging in the drive.

What a good day to be 50 and still pimpin'...but now in Green style.

Thanks again for the tons of support with solid info and many questions answered.

Jon

·
Registered
638 Posts
"Congrats on your new Volt and I believe you made a very wise decision. There are miles enjoyment in your future, the smiles are free....and there will be many....

·
Registered
926 Posts
Another Siren Red. Dang it, gonna start matching the Kinetic Blue numbers too. It'll be like Red VS Blue...

Congrats on the new Volt and first new car!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I think you'll be happy with the car. Very little can top the luxury ride you get with an electric, and you probably don't realize how much you don't like going to the gas station. Plugging in at home is just a lot more convenient. With your commute the extra 20 miles you get in a second generation Volt will be perfect (plus the current generation Volt is just a more comfy vehicle).

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I just traded my 3 year old 2013 Volt on a fully loaded 2017 Siren Red Volt. How are you charging it 120 wall outlet or dedicated 240V line? Recommend 240 for speed, safety and convenience.

Once you learn how to master owning and driving a Volt you will be rewarded. After a week of ownership here in southern Illinois (yes I know that call us FLAT LANDERS) this is how my Volt is performing.

Good luck and happy Volting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bazinga
I have had a 240V outlet near the house due to my metal garden art for a long time. All I have to do is switch the outlet and I am ready to roll. For my charger, I just ordered this fella from amazon and will be here tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TPSP760/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's not fancy but is portable and weather proof. And at $299, I can't complain.

I had to charge on 120V yesterday and I know I would be pining for a 240V if I was not already set.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know if NC or your power company has any incentives for purchases of chargers, but you might want to check into it. Here in LA, LADWP will offer up to $500 rebate for getting a Level 2 EVSE. Only stipulation is it has to be hard-wired (not a portable kind).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Enjoy! Or should I say, you will enjoy! I drive a BMW X1 and I love sneaking out in the mornings on the weekend to go get breakfast for the family so I can drive the Volt. I use the excuse of not burning gas for short trips but I actually do like driving it too. WAAAY more than I liked driving our Prius.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Enjoy! Or should I say, you will enjoy! I drive a BMW X1 and I love sneaking out in the mornings on the weekend to go get breakfast for the family so I can drive the Volt. I use the excuse of not burning gas for short trips but I actually do like driving it too. WAAAY more than I liked driving our Prius.
I highly recommend driving at night if you're a nightowl. I do it occasionally right before bed and the lighter traffic and quieter environment really stands out at 30-50mph in the Volt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts