GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my 2018 Volt Premier yesterday and love almost everything about it. The one thing that I am disappointed in is the low gear. I was hoping it would be a bit more aggressive with the regen. Now I know there is the regen handle, and that is nice, but after test driving the Bolt, I was hoping it would be comparable.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I actually liked the 2018 Volt's L mode much more than the 2018 Bolt's mode. The regen portion of pedal travel is very narrow (I'd guess maybe 0-15% of throttle travel), and having up to ~50 kW of regen in that window is more than enough to sometimes feel taxing trying to keep the car from bucking around with big 10-20 kW swings applied power/regen.

The Bolt felt way too touchy with that much regen over such a small pedal range.

I could do with more regen capability, but I'd want it over say, 0-30 or even 0-40% of the pedal travel.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Supposedly the Bolt will regen (either in L or via paddle) down to a full stop. The '16-'18 Volt will regen down to ~2mph at which point it will just roll forward. I really only use L when I am going down a steep incline otherwise I use the paddle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m sure it’s been discussed here before but I’ve found that the combination of L plus the regen paddle gives me a very linear and strong enough deceleration that, at least in city traffic, I usually only touch the brake pedal for the last few mph. YMMV

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm glad they added the paddle, but LOW on the Gen 2 is a little wonky. I actually found the Gen 1 LOW to be much smoother and more predictable--but I definitely had more friction brake usage in the Gen 1 with the common stop/go traffic in my area.

I liked the Bolt LOW when I test drove one. I'm glad they added it to the '19 -- at least glad for the '19 owners.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Supposedly the Bolt will regen (either in L or via paddle) down to a full stop. The '16-'18 Volt will regen down to ~2mph at which point it will just roll forward. I really only use L when I am going down a steep incline otherwise I use the paddle.
It actually takes power to completely stop without the friction brakes. The Volt's method is slightly more efficient.

Also, the Volt was designed to mimic an ICE slushbox to the extent possible, so they added the unnecessary creep. Those of us who are used to manuals know the creep isn't required (or desired for that matter).

·
Registered
107 Posts
It actually takes power to completely stop without the friction brakes. The Volt's method is slightly more efficient.

Also, the Volt was designed to mimic an ICE slushbox to the extent possible, so they added the unnecessary creep. Those of us who are used to manuals know the creep isn't required (or desired for that matter).
I really wish we could turn off creep.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I really wish we could turn off creep.

No creep in the Bolt EV in L. L stops the car dead.

Does driving in "L" trigger the brake lights upon deceleration? I'm assuming the paddle brake does.
Brake lights go on when the deceleration rate meets the fed requirement for brake lights. Sometimes the Bolt deceleration rate in L with the regen paddle will meet that rate and brake lights go on. I don't think the Gen 2 Volt's regen rate is as strong, but could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts

Brake lights go on when the deceleration rate meets the fed requirement for brake lights. Sometimes the Bolt deceleration rate in L with the regen paddle will meet that rate and brake lights go on. I don't think the Gen 2 Volt's regen rate is as strong, but could be wrong.
I've had my brake lights come on in my 2017 Volt in both L and in D with the Regen paddle.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The paddle always lights the brake lights. With "L" alone, it depends on deceleration rate.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Yup. You can do that when you have the smarts engineered in for counter-rotational power application. The Volt's system isn't that smart, though, and the whole Volt design is more oriented toward being "See? Even though this is an electric car, you already know how to drive it!" There's only a few differences between it and a comparable Cruze, and those that exist are lined up in ways that extend current design language rather than make anything be really different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts