GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked a 2018 volt and decided to dip the trim, grill, and wheels. It's all done with black but the wheels had a few top coats of graphite metalizer which goes real nicely with the Gray color. 20180728_095143_1532827794895.jpg 20180728_095117_1532827809568.jpg 20180728_095200_1532827822820.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Looks very good on your particular color car - Very stealthy!

Not so sure it would look 'right' on most other colors though

Don

·
Administrator
20,444 Posts
I'm not big on all black "murdered" paint jobs, but I like the color scheme you have here. The subtle color differences looks sophisticated to me compared to a single color.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I agree. Nice job.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That looks great.

I've gone back and forth on plasti-dipping the grilles on my White '17, but based on my photoshop I did, I just end up with a Cruze. Which is...fine...but I own a Volt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like the idea. My only issue with plastidip is the texture. I'm not a big fan of the rough rubbery texture. Also, I would prefer the gloss black look of vinyl to better match the gloss black accents from the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I like the idea. My only issue with plastidip is the texture. I'm not a big fan of the rough rubbery texture. Also, I would prefer the gloss black look of vinyl to better match the gloss black accents from the rest of the car.
There is a glossifier you can spray on (adds fade proofing to). Don't know of finished look whether it would match your expectations, would have to try it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is a glossifier you can spray on (adds fade proofing to). Don't know of finished look whether it would match your expectations, would have to try it.
My experience with it was...not great (I used it on my brother's '01 Century grille, after Plasti-Dipping it black). I swear, it never stopped feeling tacky until it eventually wore off all on its own - leaving just the black Plasti Dip behind.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've gone back and forth on plasti-dipping the grilles on my White '17, but based on my photoshop I did, I just end up with a Cruze. Which is...fine...but I own a Volt.
I came to the same conclusion on my white car - Black just doesn't look 'right'

Someone else here did theirs in a subtle gray and it looked much better (to me anyway) than the black would

Don

·
Registered
37 Posts
So is the consensus that adding plastidip to ACC-equipped cars is perfectly fine? Wouldn’t want it to interfere in any way.

Also, in terms of instructions to apply, how do you make sure the spray doesn’t land all over your front end? Obviously you’d mask the edge where you want the dip to end but is there lots of splatter that would necessitate masking off a large area?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So is the consensus that adding plastidip to ACC-equipped cars is perfectly fine? Wouldn’t want it to interfere in any way.

Also, in terms of instructions to apply, how do you make sure the spray doesn’t land all over your front end? Obviously you’d mask the edge where you want the dip to end but is there lots of splatter that would necessitate masking off a large area?
I've been rocking plastidip on my ACC 2018 for about a month now, no issues at all. I masked my front grill with tape and 8.5x11" printer paper. That almost kept all of the overspray off. Areas that got bits of plasti spray rubbed right off after drying.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been rocking plastidip on my ACC 2018 for about a month now, no issues at all. I masked my front grill with tape and 8.5x11" printer paper. That almost kept all of the overspray off. Areas that got bits of plasti spray rubbed right off after drying.
Awesome, thanks. With some masking and printer paper it sounds very doable. Any tips for if I want to plastidip the “Volt” lettering in the back? That seems much harder.

·
Registered
74 Posts
man, that looks good. By the way what rims are those? are they the stock ones.
Before I saw your car, I would have never picked grey for a color.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Another plasti-dip for the ACC bowtie conundrum

There are new Plasti-Dip "true metallic" colors available now (here) I wanted to try the Satin White Aluminum which I hoped would be a close match to the standard ACC grille color.

Here's a photo of the top grill done only to show the difference between the standard ACC grill lower and the plasti-dipped upper to cover the bow-tie. They are close, but off enough that I'm going to do the lower tomorrow probably.

Photo Jun 04, 7 46 39 PM (Medium).jpg

Photo Jun 04, 7 47 12 PM (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Seeing these plasti dipped pics convinced me to try it. Rank amateur here. Premium grills must be different than my LT. I just sprayed over the bowtie. Looks good to me, but I wouldn’t want anyone to scrutinize very closely.

I left the chrome outlines, because it was easier, and also because the Cruze black grills also have the chrome outlines. And since I didn’t chrome delete anything else, it looks consistent to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Seeing these plasti dipped pics convinced me to try it. Rank amateur here. Premium grills must be different than my LT.
ACC (adaptive cruise control) grills are different. The flat ones have the radar hidden behind, and the panel is specially radio-transparent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts