GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I had a business card holder and a spot for pens in my old Toyota and just realized I kind of missed having some sort of caddy to keep stuff instead of it just piling up in the pit like it does on my Volt. I searched this site and got a lot of hits for the ELR, can't figure out why... ;-)
But some sort of tupperware-like device that could slip into the pit and hold stuff separately would be kind of cool. Business cards, pens, coins, keys all get tossed into the space that is there now and they tend to just end up getting covered up and forgotten.
Any ideas would be welcome!
As a 'pay it forward' sort of offering, I really like my cell phone mount. It is an iOttie and it has a suction cup that mounts on the dash of my Volt and is really solid. I use my Android for GPS purposes and it is out of the way but really easy to see without taking my eyes off the road for long.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zivbnd/29160467072/in/album-72157669874788143/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zivbnd/29160466952/in/album-72157669874788143/

Attachments

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
When I first read "...a good caddy to put in the pit..." I thought of the Cimmaron, Catera, downsized late 80's Deville, and the Seville with that funky trunk.

But then I read further and realized that's not what you meant. a simple DIY project would be to just take a chunk of foam and cut out whatever you need. It could be an interesting phone cradle.

BTW, what gives with that plastic next to your shifter. That doesn't look life my g1 volt.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched for 2013 Chevy volt interior on Google images and got it, posted it and did my running around for the day. Then I realized it had the cupholders fore and aft while my Volt has them side by side. And the pit is smaller in the photo as well. So much for including an accurate picture of the "pit" I was referring to.
I may have to make my own caddy, as you noted, llninja. I bought out my lease on my 2013 and I may end up keeping my Volt for a good, long time. No car payments and my "fuel" bill is set at $25 a month by my condo, plus the occasional gallon of gasoline. So far the only problems I have had were a code it threw a couple years ago that fixed itself and a flat tire I caused by driving over a piece of steel. This car might last a while. Guess I will find little things to make it a bit more comfortable. A caddy looked easy, finding a decent backup camera looked a lot harder. I will save the latter for next year.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
BTW, what gives with that plastic next to your shifter. That doesn't look life my g1 volt.
That almost looks like one of the concept pre-production photos. Notice the power switch appears to be white rather than the production blue as well and DIC graphics almost look like the gen 2 design.

·
Registered
502 Posts
When I first read "...a good caddy to put in the pit..." I thought of the Cimmaron, Catera, downsized late 80's Deville, and the Seville with that funky trunk.
What about the Caddy (Olds, Chevy) with the horrible V-8 diesel? We had a 1982 Impala Station Wagon that was absolutely the worst new car I ever owned (powertrain, primarily) (1975 Volvo 145 wagon a very close second-worst). It took Volt engineering and a "new" (post bankruptcy) Gummit Motors to get me to reverse my pledge to never buy another GM vehicle. Very glad I did!

·
Administrator
20,441 Posts
That almost looks like one of the concept pre-production photos.
Yes that image is a pre-production Volt shifter/console.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
What about the Caddy (Olds, Chevy) with the horrible V-8 diesel? We had a 1982 Impala Station Wagon that was absolutely the worst new car I ever owned (powertrain, primarily) (1975 Volvo 145 wagon a very close second-worst). It took Volt engineering and a "new" (post bankruptcy) Gummit Motors to get me to reverse my pledge to never buy another GM vehicle. Very glad I did!
My dad owned a 1980's vintage dark green Cadillac Deville diesel. Man the car went Clang, clang, clang, clang, but the 30 mpg highway was amazing for a full sized vehicle. My sister drove that car throughout high school. Funny story, for a joke on her birthday, her friends untwisted Oreos and stuck them on the diesel Caddy. When we peeled it off, you could see polka dots in the oxidized paint. I don't recall whether the creme filling helped or hurt.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
That almost looks like one of the concept pre-production photos. Notice the power switch appears to be white rather than the production blue as well and DIC graphics almost look like the gen 2 design.
That's exactly what it is.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes that image is a pre-production Volt shifter/console.
Yes, that wide shifter pinched the fingers of everyone who used it. It's mentioned in the green box book.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts

But then I read further and realized that's not what you meant. a simple DIY project would be to just take a chunk of foam and cut out whatever you need. It could be an interesting phone cradle.

Aw man, another great title squashed by Steverino. Now people who read my snarky comment must think I'm mental and on psychotropic meds... now where have I read that before?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts