GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shortly after I got home, I heard meowing from the garage. Each time I stepped into the garage to investigate, the meowing stopped. Failing to get a visual a few times, I chalked it up to me going nuts. I was able to find him, though...

IMG_20160607_192820.jpg

A neighbor tried to coax him out of his space, but to no avail. So, we left the cat some food and milk. Eventually, he decided to hang out with the rear suspension.

DSC_1623.jpg

I proceeded to take another friend's offer to give it a shot. SUCCESS!

DSC_1633.jpg

Stuck in a Volt and highly resistant to being extricated, the kitten shall be named... Ampera.

·
Registered
473 Posts
catina4.jpg

My 15 year old kitty is named Turbo Quattro because she was rescued from the engine by of an Audi back in 2001!

Nice job.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
This thread reminded me of a similar situation I had in July 1973 when I drove my Dad's 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and was staying at my Grandpa's home in Ponce, PR. One night my Grandpa heard a cat crying in the car (he had two cats of his own), and told me to get it out. I opened the doors and the trunk but we didn't find the cat after over an hour of searching. A day later as I was driving to work (I had a summer job at the PPG plant nearby) I hear the cat crying. I stopped and searched again but didn't find it.

Then the next day we both heard the cat crying in the car while it was parked, so I did an audio search and heard the cries coming from the side window panel behind the driver's door. I borrowed my Grandpa's tools, remove the interior trim, and found the cat (a gray male tabby) trapped between the rear wndow mechanism and the outer body panel. My Grandpa grabbed and removed the cat carefully to save it.

Later I deducted that the cat had jumped into the trunk when I opened it to get my luggage, then in the darkness saw some light entering the side windows and crawled behind the trunk over the left rear wheel well, and into that side panel. Since it was not visible from the interior or the trunk, we never could had found it before because it stayed quiet when I opened the doors or the trunk. If we never did, it could had died in the car and stink it up for days!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Wow, that cat has probably already used up 5 or 6 of its 9 lives.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Good save!

My neighbors cat used to sleep on the gas tank skid plate on my Jeep. He "commuted" to work with me twice before I figured it out and strapped a block of wood across the "shelf" to keep him off. I still don't know how he never fell off on a 40 mile drive.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Good save!

My neighbors cat used to sleep on the gas tank skid plate on my Jeep. He "commuted" to work with me twice before I figured it out and strapped a block of wood across the "shelf" to keep him off. I still don't know how he never fell off on a 40 mile drive.
Imminent threat of death inspires extra motivation/strength. Lol

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The cat is lucky it was in a Volt. Any ICE vehicle with belt driven items would have chewed it up for sure.
That is exactly what happened to one of our own kitties. I was in college, came home for dinner in the winter time, went back out to my buick skylark to start up and go back and hear noise opened the hood and saw fur all over....a sad thing then. The cat went inside the cowl that was inside of the radiator I guess to stay warm while I was in the house eating dinner. I learned to bang my hood of the car...now we can't do that on the volt without denting it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same thing happened with my great uncle's car. I was playing with my cousins in his driveway some time around 1976. He started his '72 Cadillac and there was a huge racket from under the hood. He stopped the car and opened the hood to check it out. We kids ran over to look just in time to see what remained of a large white cat strewn about the engine compartment. Of course, we all were all slightly traumatized. I'll never forget that racket.

I think he ended up putting some sort of screen in there to keep cats from getting in there because I seem to remember that it happened again not long afterward.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ampera is a beauty! She is an absolutely beautiful, and very lucky, kitten! Clearly she is already loved very much. I am very happy for you and for your new adorable baby.

I recently lost my first cat, Blurgie, after 11 years together. He was about 20 years old. Perhaps it is fate that about a day later the universe would give you such a gorgeous gift.

Thank you for choosing to share Ampera with with us. Please update us once in a while on how she is doing. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To clarify, my friend took Ampera, since (1) I cannot afford a second pet and (2) I am not sure how well my golden retriever gets along with cats. But here is a picture of him at the foster's home. Her two golden retrievers and cat love him!

13344527_10101754426227699_3747946728770119461_n.jpg

He will be going to the vet for a checkup pretty soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im very happy for him ( was sharing this story and realized he is a boy, right ? )

Its wonderful that your friend was able to take him to a wonderful and loving home. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
He started his '72 Cadillac and there was a huge racket from under the hood. He stopped the car and opened the hood to check it out. ... Of course, we all were all slightly traumatized. I'll never forget that racket.
Same thing with my cat and a 1988 Cougar. He lived, after $1200 in vet bills (in 1990). I'm getting a little tearful remembering that sound.

Ampera is adorable! Thank goodness it was a Volt!

·
Registered
242 Posts
To clarify, my friend took Ampera, since (1) I cannot afford a second pet and (2) I am not sure how well my golden retriever gets along with cats. But here is a picture of him at the foster's home. Her two golden retrievers and cat love him!

View attachment 111682

He will be going to the vet for a checkup pretty soon.
Cats are cute, but you certainly know what you are doing with a camera. These are nice photos.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
"Man, does my Ampera purr" said the Volt owner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts