1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This is absolutely spectacular:

Thank you Bob Lutz and Via Motors!

"Stick to it my friend" - Thomas Edison

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If the Via "Presidential" is cost competitive with the ELR you have to wonder what is wrong with GM.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Alan Taub who was Vice President of Global Research & Development, left G.M. last April. Inside G.M., Taub had opposed what Via Motors has succeeded in doing as being impossible:
With battery technology as it currently stands, extended-range vehicles that are larger than the Volt - luxury saloons, trucks and SUVs - aren't really possible; they would simply be too heavy to be efficient. For those types of cars, fuel cells and biofuels are the future. Ironically enough, the ER-EV powertrain won't really package in a much smaller car than the Volt, either. So expect them all to be between four and five metres long.
Under Taub G.M. developed CNG bi-fuel trucks, which are now just coming to market.

This explains why Via Motors has the EREV SUV instead of General Motors.

I believe I heard that Via Motors will begin selling to consumers later this year.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the Via "Presidential" is cost competitive with the ELR you have to wonder what is wrong with GM.
Via had the good sense not to name it the Dictator. Laughs...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Wow great post James! Thanks for sharing that was very inspirational. I would LOVE a Presidential, but probably going to be out of my price range I'm afraid. Still these vehicles from VIA are great. I like their strategy to go after fleet sales first. Hopefully pioneering companies like PGE & Verizon can help be the "early adopters" for us just like we have been for the Volt and get the costs down to a mainstream audience. I'm definitely encouraged by what I've seen. Get a 4WD Presidential sub-$50k and we'll be talking :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts