GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remember this poll that showed what cars people had before their Volt? ... and that BMW was well-represented?

Well, BMW certainly does. And they're not giving up without a fight.
Here's an article about their new Volt fighter.

I'm still pro-Volt, but when companies compete, consumers win.

!!Dean

EDIT: Okay, not really a Volt fighter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang, I missed reading that it is "purely a concept" Oh well. I didn't need 600+ horses fouling up my garage anyway.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I agree this ain't going to be cheap. Likely north of $ 100K. However because it's a BMW and it's an SUV and it will haul ass it will likely sell in reasonable numbers (better than an ELR). While I too am a loyal GM fan. If by some miracle I could afford this I would seriously consider it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kudos to BMW. They got it right with this "5 Series GT" concept car.

The major flaw with the Caddy ELR is that is uses the Volt power train, and consequently, has similar performance as the Volt (AE range & 0-60 time).

BMW has correctly figured out that a high end PHEV needs both better AE range & 0-60 time than a Volt.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
This is a concept. If production it would be very expensive. Still it's great to see how serious BMW is about electrics. Nice.

On the ELR, I think the biggest issue for the ELR is the style. If it were a four door and larger I'd be interested. I don't need to go faster than what the Volt does -- though I think the ELR is faster -- but I'd like the nicer ride and interior and fully adaptive cruise control. Price is not such a big deal though $40K seems too steep. A two door couple with no back seat? Not so interested.

I'm hoping we'll be able to option up the next generation Volt, which is IMO is as nice looking as the ELR.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I think we will see more car makers use electricity to produce cars that are both fast and efficient. They need to be efficient to meet CAFE and CARB requirements so the only way to do both is to go the hybrid route. This is no problem if cost is not an issue but much more difficult at the price the Volt sells at.

Probably the easiest way to do this is a parallel hybrid system like that used in the Prius, but sized up with a powerful ICE. I think GM will go in this direction with the 2016 Volt, but it will be much more sophisticated. It will be faster, more efficient and will still retain the smoothness of an EV. The reason for this change, I believe, is this system will become the heart of a number of plug-in models. In these models the Voltec propulsion will replace the automatic transmission and be coupled to different ICEs.

The fact that BMW is doing something similar is not a surprise. Frank Weber, the previous Volt Chief Engineer is now working on EVs for BMW. Even though he left three years ago he would still be aware of the direction GM planned to go on their electrification effort and the advantages of electrification. GM's design is of course protected by patents but they will figure out a way to do something similar. I view BMW's move as a good thing.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts