GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The second hand 2013 Volt I got recently keeps the A/C (snow flake in the console) 80% time on even if I have turned it on high heating (temp setting >87 F). Although it does heat, the air is not so warm.
During the lower setting (around 70F) it barely blows any warm temperature air.
Has anyone had any similar problems before?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I forgot to mention that the A/C on always "flickers", that is, it turns off very briefly (2 seconds, or half a second at a time) then reverses back to be on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like the Auto Defog may be on. Turn it off on the Vehicle Personalization Menu on the Configuration Screen. Check the Owner Manual for further details.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Normal behavior. This happened with my 2013 all the time. I can't tell if it happens in the Gen 2 (although I think it does) because the Gen 2 WON'T tell you if the A/C or heat is on (not sure why that information was removed).

The ONLY scenario in the Gen 1 where you can prevent the A/C from coming on is IF you have auto-defog OFF + keep it in "fan-only" mode. Obviously, the only time you'll get heat in this scenario is if you're in ERDTT or HOLD mode and you use waste heat from the ICE. If the climate system is "on" (in eco or comfort) the A/C will come on anytime it feels like it based on its ability to detect humidity/window fogging.

I should say though that unfortunately the windows fog up real fast without the A/C in many circumstances. Fortunately, the A/C uses such a negligible amount of energy compared to the heat, so I don't think you would even notice too many energy savings with it forced off. It will cycle on/off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My theory is the humidity sensor is misreading the humidity level and turning the AC on. I've not yet tested this theory yet. Perhaps someone else has or can?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just tested it. The auto defog is off, and I made sure it was not manually turned on. Turned on the car, put it to 87F setting, and tried to blast the air. The cooling mode was still on, about 90% of the time, some times it turns off for 1 to 3 seconds and immediately turns on again. The heating is on all the time, but it barely gives any heat, you can feel that the air coming out is a mixture of cold and hot wind.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Normal behavior. This happened with my 2013 all the time. I can't tell if it happens in the Gen 2 (although I think it does) because the Gen 2 WON'T tell you if the A/C or heat is on (not sure why that information was removed).

The ONLY scenario in the Gen 1 where you can prevent the A/C from coming on is IF you have auto-defog OFF + keep it in "fan-only" mode. Obviously, the only time you'll get heat in this scenario is if you're in ERDTT or HOLD mode and you use waste heat from the ICE. If the climate system is "on" (in eco or comfort) the A/C will come on anytime it feels like it based on its ability to detect humidity/window fogging.

I should say though that unfortunately the windows fog up real fast without the A/C in many circumstances. Fortunately, the A/C uses such a negligible amount of energy compared to the heat, so I don't think you would even notice too many energy savings with it forced off. It will cycle on/off.
Thanks VoltenRock I think your analysis is to the point because I see the A/C compressor being requested to be on all the time by the cabin, as long as you are in eco or comfort mode. It draws very small amount of power (0.2 KW additionally) when it's on. https://ibb.co/pRpDP8p
Now I wonder if we can turn off that humidity sensor!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I also have a 2013 and it has similar behavior to yours. I won't say it is exactly the same because my AC may cycle off more than you are describing, unless the weather is very damp. But it is definitely odd to see the AC on so much when heat is what I want. Also, the weak heat especially at the lower temperature settings sounds familiar, and there are lots of similar comments across this forum.

I am not saying yours works fine if it works like mine. I am pretty sure mine is not working 100% right. But I am fairly content to live with it. I can find settings that provide comfort (all I really care about) and winters here are short. If there is a hit to efficiency, it does not seem to be significant and won't make much difference in the long run. Plus I have little confidence my dealer can fix it, at least without wasting too much of my money. I have already been part way down that road and have no interest in going farther.

On the bright side, in hot weather the AC works great and is very efficient. Where I live, that is far more important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts