GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened twice with my 2015, both times just as the battery depletes and the ICE comes on. The air coming from the A/C vents stops blowing cold. I'm not sure if the heater is coming on or if it's just the hot outside air coming in. The temperatures are still in the 90's here, and I normally run the A/C in Comfort mode at 76F w/recirculate. When this happens, I can lower the temp on the panel to like 74F and some cold air comes back. I'm going to try switching to Hold mode and see if it happens then. But I very rarely deplete the battery like that and I'm wondering if this is normal?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
This has happened twice with my 2015, both times just as the battery depletes and the ICE comes on. The air coming from the A/C vents stops blowing cold. I'm not sure if the heater is coming on or if it's just the hot outside air coming in. The temperatures are still in the 90's here, and I normally run the A/C in Comfort mode at 76F w/recirculate. When this happens, I can lower the temp on the panel to like 74F and some cold air comes back. I'm going to try switching to Hold mode and see if it happens then. But I very rarely deplete the battery like that and I'm wondering if this is normal?
No, it sounds like a problem with the HVAC system. Maybe it is a stuck open coolant valve that is allowing warm engine coolant to circulate inside the cabin heat exchanger when heat is not called for due to the outside temperature being 90F. Dealer.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thanks, I would dread going to the dealer. Tonight I tried to make it happen by driving on the interstate in Hold mode. Got the ICE all the way up to 43KW and felt a SLIGHTLY higher temperature from the air vents. Not nearly as dramatic as before when the battery was depleted. So it's not something I can make happen and easily demonstrate to the dealer. My co-worker who also drives a 2015 says his has never done that, and he runs his battery down constantly because of his longer commute. I did search these forums and found a lot of heater problems, but not many A/C problems and nothing like this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought my 2015 Volt and experienced the same thing today when it ran out of charge for the first time. I had the system set to auto ECO if that helps. I can try to experiment as well to see if there's a specific setting that causes it.

What are your AC settings usually? Can you take a picture of them?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Both of my Gen 1 (2012 and 2014) Volt's did something similar - when the engine came on, the air coming out of the ducts warmed up. In my case it was temporary, and if you just waited a minute or two (or just turned the thermostat down) it wasn't a probelm. I suspect that when the engine kicks in, the coolant temperature jumps quickly and the A/C doesn't compensate fast enough.

I don't see this happening in my Gen 2 (2017).

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both of my Gen 1 (2012 and 2014) Volt's did something similar - when the engine came on, the air coming out of the ducts warmed up. In my case it was temporary, and if you just waited a minute or two (or just turned the thermostat down) it wasn't a probelm. I suspect that when the engine kicks in, the coolant temperature jumps quickly and the A/C doesn't compensate fast enough.

Thank you for that. I see you're in a location similar to mine where the A/C is used a lot more than the heater. Maybe that's why it's more noticeable. But since it doesn't happen that often I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

This describes my 2013 also. I don't think of it as a problem.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this happened again last night. When the battery depleted, it transitioned seamlessly over to the ICE. After a couple of minutes, the A/C vents started blowing HOT air--it's definitely air from the heater, not just outside air. I tried to lower the temp to 73 degrees, but that didn't help. This does NOT happen when I switch to HOLD or MOUNTAIN mode, only when it switches over to the ICE after the battery depletes. I hate having to take it to the dealer--they are probably going to say no problem found or it's normal. But my co-worker who also drives a 2015 Volt says it never happens to him.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more vote for normal, my 2014 did it. After a few moments, the air would get cold again.
Well, I was almost home when the ICE kicked in. I drove the last 2.8 miles and it was still blowing warm when I pulled into my driveway.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, I was almost home when the ICE kicked in. I drove the last 2.8 miles and it was still blowing warm when I pulled into my driveway.
Ok, you win. That sounds like a problem. And since it's repeatable and consistent, the dealer should have no problem fixing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts