GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
What kind of A/C compressor drive does the Gen II have? When I turn on my A/C, I always get a low pitch, whirring sound that eventually subsides when the pressure is stabilized. The A/C always blows cold air and always works correctly. The noise lasts longer when the car has sat for a longer time. If the car sits off for5 minutes that start up noise in the A/C last only about 15 seconds. If the car sits overnight, the A/C noise last about a minute or two, then everything quiets down. The A/C ALWAYS blows normal, cold air. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have no Volt but I have worked with GM vehicles for over 40 years. GM has beeen using a radial compressor made by Harrison/Frigidare that has a small rotary crankshaft with four pistons and reed valves to compress the refrigerant gas. The original compressor pulley is belt driven by the engine crankshaft pulley, but is activated by an electric clutch between the pulley and the compressor shaft. Since the A/C systems in EVs isn't tied to the engine anymore, I believe that now it has a DC motor, possibly powered by the traction battery (over 300 VDC) to a scroll (spiral) compressor and do its job.

Maybe anyone who has the Chevy Volt service manuals can explain in more details.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts