GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree. Just another nondescript sedan. Take the name badge off and you'd have no idea who made it.

If the Volt looks anything like this, it will be a crying shame. And a failure, IMO, if GM truely wanted to change the game.

<still rubbing the rabbit's foot....>

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just why does an economy car have to look like an economy car? That just drives me nuts. Do people who drive these really want a car with no imagination or pizzazz? Or is that all they have to choose from?

As much as a hate to dole out credit, I think that Mazda at least has designed some small cars with a little creativity. Every time I see one of them, I wonder why GM doesn't follow suit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would suggest to GM and others to skip hiring a percentage of new designers from the usual design schools and go straight to the internet. The are amature car designers on the internet that do it just for the love of cars that are creating designs that blow away almost every concept show car that is put forth each year.
That is an excellent idea. You are dead on. Creativity is not developed in the design schools. GM should put forth some internet based design challenges. Offer up some royalties or possible employment if diamonds are discovered. I am sure that working within available technology, existing component designs, etc. would put boundaries on some aspects of new designs. But the E-Flex chassis, to me, seems really flexible. Just provide battery, motor, generator volumetric/size requirements and let people have at it.

I don't dislike small economy cars, I just think the current state of their design is incredibly limited.

·
Registered
240 Posts
By the way, for all you fanciers of huge wheels. This Monza had 13" wheels. It sure made the car look a lot bigger than it really was. ;)
Touché ! Yes it looked good with smaller wheels. I always liked the Corvair's lines. I don't think it ever really got enough design credit. A lot of 60's chevy designs were my favorites. I think the 1961 Corvette roadster (in Jewel Blue) and the 1968 Camaro RS convertible (in yellow/black) were two of the most attactive cars ever produced. Wish I had one of each. The wheels on those were probably 14" max.

IMO, at the time, cars seemed to be designed to "sit on" the chassis. Tires were generally taller and cornering characteristics were not as important as today. Todays cars seem to fit into and around the chassis in a way that pulls the fenders up, the tires are getting thinner all the time and the wheels are getting larger. I have to admit, I like that look. Some would call it an "aggresive look", I would call it a "more exciting look".

To me, I want my cars to be exciting, inside and out. I am in them too much to be bored. I like to drive. I don't like to commute. I really want a manual shift. Those are also apparently going the way of the dinosaurs.

Why can't we have cars with these type of exciting designs and great mpg too? It doesn't have to go 150mph. 80 would do. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.