GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working on a 3D model of the production Volt for the last week. This is a work in progress so I'm posting it at a rough state to hopefully get some feedback from Volt experts here. I tried to get as much detail of the known production Volt as possible as reference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Measurements ?

Nice work.

Based on your model, what do you think the frontal area and drag co efficient would be for the Volt ?

How different is it from a Cadillac CTS ?

What tool are you using to draw the car ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Design accuracy (great job!)

Dinosaurus

I like the rendering - a nice looking automobile!... Excellent software to make a 3D design like this. I think you are pretty close on your design but I feel that there are a few things that will soften out in the production model. Outstanding job overall!

I believe that the windshield will be longer and more curved where it meets the hood.

The hood may not be as flat in the middle as it seems here (I agree that it will flair up or at least have higher sides).

The nose will be more blunt with fewer hard edges.

The sides just behind the front wheels will be flatter out as far as the side mirror, then it drops down.

I will see if I can make a few changes to one of your existing images and start a collaborative effort ;-).

Jason C

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dinosaurus

I like the rendering - a nice looking automobile!... Excellent software to make a 3D design like this. I think you are pretty close on your design but I feel that there are a few things that will soften out in the production model. Outstanding job overall!

I believe that the windshield will be longer and more curved where it meets the hood.

The hood may not be as flat in the middle as it seems here (I agree that it will flair up or at least have higher sides).

The nose will be more blunt with fewer hard edges.

The sides just behind the front wheels will be flatter out as far as the side mirror, then it drops down.

I will see if I can make a few changes to one of your existing images and start a collaborative effort ;-).

Jason C
Great comments Jason, that really helps. I'll work on it some more and tidy up those areas. The sides on the wind tunnel model are as flat as boards like you mentioned but when I modeled my car that way it was pretty ugly so I added 'Malibu inspired' indents. Not sure what I'll do in that area yet.

Longer windshield, blunter nose...

·
Registered
75 Posts
here are some critiques I have

·
Registered
495 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJI71XNi0-Q

At about 3:00, Lutz starts talking about the new Chevy front end style and the trapped hood. In your model, it looks like the curves of the Volts hood could suggest that it may be styled with a trapped hood. What do you think?

·
Registered
383 Posts
After looking at the taped model you've based this on and the spy shots of the Cruze/Cobalt II, I think you might be wrong about the line at the trailing end of the rear door windows.

I think that line is going to come forward like it does on the spy shots. Perhaps even with that same little quarter window/sail panel (which IMHO looks quite awful).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After looking at the taped model you've based this on and the spy shots of the Cruze/Cobalt II, I think you might be wrong about the line at the trailing end of the rear door windows.

I think that line is going to come forward like it does on the spy shots. Perhaps even with that same little quarter window/sail panel (which IMHO looks quite awful).
mwalsh, would it be possible for you to draw an overlaw on my model so I can get a better sense of what you mean?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJI71XNi0-Q

At about 3:00, Lutz starts talking about the new Chevy front end style and the trapped hood. In your model, it looks like the curves of the Volts hood could suggest that it may be styled with a trapped hood. What do you think?
If you look at the shots in the GM design center where the employee is pulling back the blue cover to reveal part of the front end you'll see a hood seem just above the light. To me this looks like the hood won't be trapped.

Some changes on the front end, very much roughed in.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Great job so far, I think you almost have it! My critiques would be based on the stated fact by many GM personell that they are going to make it recognizable as a Volt, meaning the original concept. So I would do the sort of reversed rake rear quarter window, eliminate the sail panel as I think it won't be needed, change the tail lights to be just like the original and if you're going to add side sculpting, even though the wind tunnel model suggests that there will be none, I would add the side "strake" like on the original instead of the sort of standard sedan indent. Below is what I mean.

On another question, is Silo all you needed to do this and is it reasonably easy to use? I have been using Photoshop for years but would like to get a 3-D program and Silo seems very affordable. Is there a catch or limitation?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great job so far, I think you almost have it! My critiques would be based on the stated fact by many GM personell that they are going to make it recognizable as a Volt, meaning the original concept. So I would do the sort of reversed rake rear quarter window, eliminate the sail panel as I think it won't be needed, change the tail lights to be just like the original and if you're going to add side sculpting, even though the wind tunnel model suggests that there will be none, I would add the side "strake" like on the original instead of the sort of standard sedan indent. Below is what I mean.

On another question, is Silo all you needed to do this and is it reasonably easy to use? I have been using Photoshop for years but would like to get a 3-D program and Silo seems very affordable. Is there a catch or limitation?
Thanks DaV8or. Funny I actually started off modeling the rear with a more concept like design but changed mine after looking more closely at the wind tunnel model.

Here are some shots from before I changed it...

·
Registered
383 Posts
mwalsh, would it be possible for you to draw an overlaw on my model so I can get a better sense of what you mean?
Here, I've shown it on the taped model and where I think the corresponding line is on the Cruze.

I do hope I'm wrong. I like your interpretation better!

·
Registered
383 Posts
BTW, call me crazy, but the more I look at those two pictures side-by-side, the more the cars start to look like the same to me! :eek: It's all that tape, it's just an optical illusion, right? RIGHT? :confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I feel the window needs to be more tear drop shapped

·
Administrator
359 Posts
Rear Corner

Dinosaurus - your work is spectacular and seeing everyone work together on this is a dream come true.

I can add that while in the design center, Bob Boniface lifted the rear passenger corner but didn't allow photos. It appeared to have a slightly hard corner/edge running vertically as opposed to being smooth.

When we get a final design here lets try for a color high resolution 3 view front angled side and rear angle for a main page post.

On capn's colored rendition we should still bring down the window glass into the door.

·
Registered
495 Posts
BTW, call me crazy, but the more I look at those two pictures side-by-side, the more the cars start to look like the same to me! :eek: It's all that tape, it's just an optical illusion, right? RIGHT? :confused:
GM never said the taped car in the tunnel was the Volt. The reporter assumed that. We may be basing all of our speculation on the wrong car.

Look at the tail lights. Those aren't the slit lights we see on the Volt. Those are Cruze lights. But the tape model has a shorter rear end.

I think the Cruze is the Volts gas sister.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts