GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After flying up to Long Island on Sat to pick up our Volt, we finally made it back to Fort Lauderdale, FL last night, (Mon). The first stop after NY was outside Richmond, VA at a Hampton Inn. They let us plug in at the front entrance. The next stop was in Brunswick, GA and they were not as friendly at that Hampton Inn. So we went to the Belmont in next door. They let us plug in on the side of the building, but the Voltek's red lights would come on every few minutes and the horn would make noise. We gave up on it for the night, so no charge. So, after driving 1337 miles and 2 charges, our mileage was 36.1 going at speeds between 70-80. I'm sure it'll be better now at home not going more than 40 miles per day.

Pictures https://picasaweb.google.com/mark4090/OurVolt?authkey=Gv1sRgCPLF4b6Hvr_v8gE#

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome back to South Florida and our beautiful weather. ( I just drove to FLL and back early this morning and have my car charging in the garage )
Time to build up your "lifetime MPGs" as you do more and more electric-only driving. My average has dropped to 115 from some ICE driving over the past week, but should begin a slow increase in MPGs again as I drive locally.

Enjoy your new car....they sure are fun to drive !

Steve in Boca Raton #313

·
Registered
127 Posts
Glad you made it back safe and sound. Enjoy your car. They had your car parked in front of mine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Car Maintenance

Hey Congrats on your new Volt. Just wonder for yourself and perhaps others that bought their vehicles away from home. Any concerns if there are problems and you need work done on your car? New York is a haul to get something fixed. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think local dealerships will work on the Volt yet if they are not able to sell them in that state?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our local Chevy dealer has a Volt certified tech on site. Three miles away. It's under the GM warranty. They would have to fix it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yes.....I immediately checked with two local Chevrolet dealers, both equal distance from my house in opposite directions of about 8 miles .... Coconut Creek and Delray Beach. Both dealers have trained mechanics and suitable Volt tools on property. I think they would be anxious to work on one since the VOLTS won't be in their showrooms for many more months.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Our local dealer already connected me to let me know they have been trained.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm assuming you're more anxious to have them NOT work on it! LOL
I hope I never see them for anything other than routine oil changes , so with little or no ICE use, it will hopefully be a long long time.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you do that, Rusty?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
How do you do that, Rusty?
RTFM? :) Plug the EVSE into the wall, and press (and maybe hold, it doesn't seem immediate) the big yellow button. The row of 4 green LEDs should change to 2 lit LEDs. You'll want to switch back when you get to a circuit that'll support 12 amp charging.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
...the Voltek's red lights would come on every few minutes and the horn would make noise. We gave up on it for the night, so no charge...
LOL. That is what I put up for days here at home while still trying to pinpoint the solution. The latest "fix" was to tightening all the large screws at the ground rod for all the grounding wires that run up to the circuit breaker panel. I stopped blowing air on the back of the charger for the latest tests.

One tip: If the horn is continuously honking with the pedestrian honk during charging, that can be stopped by unlocking the Volt driver door with the key fob. If the car is in a secure location, you could leave the driver door unlocked to avoid the continuous honking altogether. The owner manual mentions that this horn warning can be turned off by the dealer.

Single horn chirps will still occur when a small fault occurs that stops and restarts the charging process.

While it is wonderful that the charger is sensitive to problems in the electrical circuits, horn honking is one notification that GM should make USER SELECTABLE in the future. The ideal would be for the charger to have an alphanumeric display of even a single character that could give a code for the exact problem. Better yet, a multi-character display should be used that would clearly indicate the issue. God forbid if Jay Leno's Volt starts honking in the middle of the night. GM doesn't need the Volt to become the a joke topic during the monologue.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Full charge after coming back to Florida. Estimated 34 ev miles. 74 degrees outside. Hope it gets better than that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for some new tips, such as the 8amp charging. I remember this being mentioned before as I might have to use this one at work. At Home I have already had a dedicated 110v outlet run in my garage. Otherwise I would probably would have to use 8amp as I have a freezer and a fridge already running on that circuit.

Volt was ordered a week ago. Can't wait.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Full charge after coming back to Florida. Estimated 34 ev miles. 74 degrees outside. Hope it gets better than that.
It should get much better after a couple more charges....I got 48.5 for a high.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

1 - 19 of 19 Posts