GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever seen their State of Charge this high before?

Recently my fully charged state has been 90.20% Now that it has gotten colder and my overcharging technique runs for about 17 minutes. Well this morning, it reached 93.33%. In 2+ years I have never seen it this high.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Highest I've seen for SOC-U is roughly 108%, but that was at the bottom of the 1.5 mile 800' hill I live on top of... It was around 104% when I unplugged the car after "burping" it. I don't recall what the raw SOC was.

Walter, that is Torque Pro.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Looks like you're pushing that limit pretty hard ;)
To be that much higher, it's probably an SOC calculation error?
Would be interesting to see if you hahad significantly more range left when you got home, compared to your norm

Neat display. How do you get all that info?
That's torque, connecting via OBD

·
Registered
121 Posts
As I said in your Facebook thread today, despite the fact that it has been disputed here, I still wonder if the Volt isn't widening the charge window as the battery degrades to maintain the same amount of available energy and if not, might the increased SOC readings be some other side effect of battery wear.

I did a search here and found another thread noting an increased maximum SOC over time. I'm now curious if anyone else here who has had a Volt more two of more years and monitors the SOC over ODB has noticed the SOC value increase over time.

I've only had mine since September 2014 (16K EV miles) and the highest I've ever been able to get my SOC is around 86% using the overcharge method.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used up most of my range on purpose. This is from 1 mile of range left. Doing the math results in 67%. Probably about 1-2% left before the engine would have fired up, so pretty close to 65%.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I wonder if it is not so much the window is moving up as it is the battery capacity is decreasing. I.e., the window size is set at ~10kWh, and as the overall capacity of the battery shrinks, 10kWh represents an increasing percentage of the total capacity. Just throwing out ideas, but that all might just be semantics anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wonder if it is not so much the window is moving up as it is the battery capacity is decreasing. I.e., the window size is set at ~10kWh, and as the overall capacity of the battery shrinks, 10kWh represents an increasing percentage of the total capacity. Just throwing out ideas, but that all might just be semantics anyway.
That makes sense. It could also be considered consistent with the assertion that the Volt does not increase the size of the charge window.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ari, this is very interesting! Thank you for sharing your findings.

For those of us who aren't savvy enough to have the same app that you do, could you maybe share with us the approximate duration of time we could use (turning on the car while plugged in), with eco heat and without heat? Thanks ;)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ari, this is very interesting! Thank you for sharing your findings.

For those of us who aren't savvy enough to have the same app that you do, could you maybe share with us the approximate duration of time we could use (turning on the car while plugged in), with eco heat and without heat? Thanks ;)
With ECO heat, I think the duration is pretty much unlimited. With no heat, time is dependent on temperature of the battery. I have never charted this. With temperatures above 50F in my garage it is about 10 minutes. Max I have seen is 19 minutes down to about freezing. It could be longer for a Volt with a cold soak outside, I really do not know.

You can use MyGreenVolt as well to track this, without the benefit of the alarm that I use from Torque to tell me when to unplug.

Ultimate solution would be OpenEVSE that would cut off charging when it drops to 5A.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got an OBDII reader a few months back (thanks for the recommendation, Ari). I've been using it with MyGreenVolt.

The most I can coax out of my 2011 Volt is 89.0% SOC and 99.4% useable. I can get to that by leaving it plugged in after a full charge, running ECO for awhile, then stopping ECO and letting it charge for a few minutes. As soon as it hits 99.4 it's done and the SOC drops.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got an OBDII reader a few months back (thanks for the recommendation, Ari). I've been using it with MyGreenVolt.

The most I can coax out of my 2011 Volt is 89.0% SOC and 99.4% useable. I can get to that by leaving it plugged in after a full charge, running ECO for awhile, then stopping ECO and letting it charge for a few minutes. As soon as it hits 99.4 it's done and the SOC drops.
You need to watch the Amps In. When Amps in drops to 5.0, you need to unplug. There is quite a fluctuation seasonally on the full SOC. The SOC% really means very little, it is basically a moving window. I do not see any difference between it being at 85% or 90%.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You need to watch the Amps In. When Amps in drops to 5.0, you need to unplug. There is quite a fluctuation seasonally on the full SOC. The SOC% really means very little, it is basically a moving window. I do not see any difference between it being at 85% or 90%.

Ari, thanks for sharing the information - could you please put up a link on where an owner could obtain the display your showing.

Many Thanks - Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts