GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
$900 down the drain for unneeded repairs, still not fixed !!!!!

Took the 2012 Volt in for "Intermittent Heat in Electric Mode" Carefully explained to the service tech what I read on the forum. Exact words: "we do not care what is on a forum".

First they tried the reprograming - Did not fix the problem. $47.00

Second they replaced the coolant pump - Did not fix the problem . $850.00

My problem was explained as follows - Full charge - Heat works normal in electric mode.

Charge sustaining mode - Heat valve evidently moves correctly - Heat works normal in CS mode.

Car shutdown with partial charge - upon starting car - No heat available until once again battery is depleted and back in CS mode or car is fully recharged.

Cannot use hold mode as a work around since it is not a mode on the 2012 Model Year.

From the above I surmise:
-The electric element works
-The valve works
-The software is up to date
-The pump works

I was very skeptical the pump was not the problem and it was the control module, the service advisor assured me before the repair it was the pump. He didn't really want to know what I learned on the forum. Was almost hostile I brought it up. Pump changed. Paid the money. Problem remains as before.

I have owned the car since new. This problem has existed for as long as I can remember but I usually always had a full charge so I wasn't a factor unless it was a cold day and I was starting the car on a partial charge (almost never happened) so I just lived with it. I'm now giving the car to my daughter and would like it fixed because my grand daughter is only 2 and sits in a childs seat - seat heat not a mitigation fix for her. I paid $46K for the car including tax. I did get the $7,500 tax credit.

I think the car is fantastic after driving it for 48,000 miles. The weak link however is getting it serviced. It seems the Chevy Dealers are simply not up to the task of listening to the customer, and fixing a problem without running up a needless bill. No matter how well the car is designed and built, it becomes a deal breaker and sours you if you cannot get it repaired.

Back in the shop again. Did not even drive it away from the dealer as it did not work the moment I was given the car back from the repair.

I will wait for the final outcome and report back. If it is unfavorable, I will post the dealers name so other owners or potential buyers can avoid this dealer.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,711 Posts
Back in the shop again. Did not even drive it away from the dealer as it did not work the moment I was given the car back from the repair.
How long did you give to warm up the liquid?

As for a lack of Hold mode, you do have Mountain Mode, right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Long enough. After 6 years with the car I'm very familiar with the system. It's TU.

Yes Mountain Mode is available "IF" the car has less than 15 miles remaining on the battery and you don't mind the high revving associated with MM.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Must be very frustrating. If you don't want to keep throwing money at the problem, one other possible work around is to use the ERDTT feature. Some owners have "tricked" that into coming on at different temperatures. Some have even set up dashboard switches to trick it on or off at will. Not an ideal fix, but that could make it possible to at least get heat when needed.

I am not sure how ERDTT works on the 2012 model year, but in later model years, it doesn't even use all that much gas. It just runs the engine minimally to keep it warm.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hope you got the money for the pump back. Most states have pretty specific laws about paying for repairs that did not fix a problem, be sure to do some reading.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a faulty heater control module at this point.

As for manually starting the engine, you can use the MyVoltHold app with a cheap OBDII adapter which adds Hold Mode to 2011-12 MYs.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I have a somewhat similar issue with my heat. Dealer reprogrammed the heater control module twice. Said next step was to replace the HCM. He quoted me about $700 for that, just to give you an idea on what that might cost. I did not get mine replaced, in part because there was no assurance that would really fix the problem, and in part because I can work around the problem.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sounds like a faulty K10 unit. Both of my 2013s had to be replaced. See PIC number in my signature.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2012 had intermittent heat issue.
After a couple other tries, they replaced "temperature valve actuator". Part #13372987.
Stated "found actuator internally open intermittently".
Performed under extended warranty so I don't know the cost.
Seemed to work well ofter this final fix.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally fixed on third service visit. It was the control module. I have very high confidence in the Volt design / engineering; Low confidence in the ability of the dealer network to service the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts