Above images are from these LEDs installed into my Gen1 Volt!
As is the case with the majority of aftermarket LED Headlight kit re-sellers, JDM ASTAR markets these as 8th Gen LED tech while the actual Chinese manufacturer near as I can figure, Guangzhou U-Light Electronic Technology, lists them as being G7: http://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-products-HB4-9006-car-LED_60389360713.html and they use Lumileds LUXEON Z ES diodes.
- The LED and heatsink are well-constructed heavy aluminum which they should be for the cost.
- Testing with a light meter, these LEDs put out more light than the stock HIR2 bulbs but less than 55W HIDs.
- When powered ON, the LEDs come up to full brightness immediately unlike HIDs which take awhile to 'warm up'.
- More than likely these LEDs will not arrive pre-aligned for the Volt's headlamp orientation (mine weren't) but a tiny allen wrench is included w/the kit that allows you to align the adjustable chuck making it simple to position properly when fully seated in the locked postition into the Volt headllamp with the LEDs aligned horizontally (9 & 3 o'clock position).
- Initially worried about being able to fit these fully into the Volt's headlamp due to the oversized heatsink but they fit just fine with enough room left to seal w/dust cover.
- Also able to fit the LED controller driver into the headlamp since it is much smaller footprint than HID ballast.
- Continued to make use of a dedicated relay I previously installed for the HIDs controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM) in order to feed these LEDs B+ consistent/non-modulated DC voltage from the 12V battery rather than from the modulated BCM headlamp voltage. Sorry, I DID NOT test these LEDs using BCM headlamp voltage as the input to the LED controller driver. You may be able to power these LEDs using the power from the BCM (stock HIR2 power connector in the headlamp) without issue but I would recommend to at least consider installing a capacitor prior to each LED controller just to smooth-out the modulated voltage originating from the BCM and possibly prolong the life and performance of these LEDs. YMMV!
Finally, I purchased these off Amazon and the shipping w/prime was fast!